yconic - School Stress? Questions about universities? COURSES TO TAKE FOR GR.11?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

School Stress? Questions about universities? COURSES TO TAKE FOR GR.11?

A photo of SimpleThings SimpleThings
I am currently in grade 10. I just finished 1st semester and now i'm in semester 2. Although I may only be in grade 10, I am worried I'm not working as hard as I should be to get to where I want to get to...

These are the marks i got in semester 1:

Academic Math: 75
Intro to Business: 88
Comm. Tech: 90
Civics: 83

and this semester I am taking French, Science, English and History.

1) What are your thoughts on these marks? Low? Should I put more effort in and work harder?
2) Also, I'm planning to go to university for business (undecided yet)
3) I will need to take Advanced Functions, Calculus & Vectors, & English as requirements for most business courses. Are the 2 math courses hard? Should i get a tutor?
5) What are some good businesses courses I should take for grade 11? Accounting? Marketing?
4) What other courses should I take for grade 11? I am unsure whether I should take biology and/or chemistry (alot of people take them )and since I want to study business in university/college, I won't need it but of course, I'm not 110% sure about business.
5) Should I consider taking co-op?
6) What marks do universities look at? If I don't have alot of extra-curriculars does it affect it a whole lot?

Sorry this may seem super long but any feedback/suggestions/tips will be appreciated even if you don't answer all the questions. Thanks :tongue: !!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of erudite erudite
1) Always work your hardest and strive for more.
2) K.
3) Judging by your math mark, it might be. If you have money for a tutor, then yeah...it'll help a lot.
4) Take accounting for sure.
5) Yea take science. Maybe law? Or get a head start and take a grade 12 course that don't require a prerequisite like BBB4M, BOH4M, or a social sci so you can concentrate on them and get a high mark that you can use it for university.
6) Yea if you have room. I took co-op at a law firm and loved it.
7) They look at English and usually 2 maths (different for every uni) and include it in your top 6 avg. And yeah it will. If you're planning on studying at top business schools, they'll want you to list your activities, esp ones that you're dedicated to, show teamwork, and leadership. It wouldn't look good to have a blank...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Topiary Topiary
Protip: Take grade 12 English in summer school, do as many E-Learning courses as humanly possible, and do grade 12 courses in grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SimpleThings SimpleThings

@erudite wrote
1) Always work your hardest and strive for more.
2) K.
3) Judging by your math mark, it might be. If you have money for a tutor, then yeah...it'll help a lot.
4) Take accounting for sure.
5) Yea take science. Maybe law? Or get a head start and take a grade 12 course that don't require a prerequisite like BBB4M, BOH4M, or a social sci so you can concentrate on them and get a high mark that you can use it for university.
6) Yea if you have room. I took co-op at a law firm and loved it.
7) They look at English and usually 2 maths (different for every uni) and include it in your top 6 avg. And yeah it will. If you're planning on studying at top business schools, they'll want you to list your activities, esp ones that you're dedicated to, show teamwork, and leadership. It wouldn't look good to have a blank...

Thanks for the remarks! Do you have any 'tips' to stay motivated? I'm a R E A L L Y lazy person (of course that will have to change if I want to get into U) How do you stay motivated? Any tips for studying/stopping procrastination that you've stuck with?
& may i ask, what did you take in grade 11 and grade 12? And what program are you in now?

@Topiary wrote
Protip: Take grade 12 English in summer school, do as many E-Learning courses as humanly possible, and do grade 12 courses in grade 11.

Fast-tracking? I know a few people who have fast-tracked but the guidance counselor suggested NOT to take any core subjects like math, english or science during summer school because its like a shortened version of what you learn in regular day school.
Also, if i fast-track, I will need to do the prerequisites for the course. For example, if i wanted to take grade 12 english in summer school, I will have to do grade 11 english still in order to meet the prerequisite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite
Haha i don't think i should be giving you advice on procrastination because I still have problems with it. >< I guess it's willpower?
And i'm in grade 12...not in uni yet! D: I took grade 12 econ in grade 11...i ended up with an 85, but if i worked harder and focused more on it it could've been higher. But it's a good backup credit for my top 6 though. I also took 2 credit co-op which was pretty nice because that guaranteed 2 periods of no school work plus 2 credits. You learn a lot about the workplace and my placement offered me a summer job because I worked hard. :) If you rather keep your options open then maybe it might take up to much space in your timetable because in gr 10, i already knew i was set for business because i sucked at science so much. :P

And grade 12 im taking english, calc, international business (BBB4M), financial securities (IDC4U), accounting (BAT4M), and business leadership in e-learning (BOH4M). I dropped philosophy...social science at my school is terrible.

I think it would be good to fast track a non-prerequisite grade 12 course. It'll be good for picking your highest grades for your top 6, and you can relax in grade 12 because you can take 6 courses knowing that maybe 4 of those will be in your top 6 because you already finished 2 courses in grade 11 (assuming u did really well) as opposed to taking 8 and you're not sure which marks are going to drop, which course is going to be in your top 6, etc.
So yeah, for grade 11...english, math, accounting, 1 or 2 sci, 1 or 2 grade 12 course (business/social sci?), and the rest is whatever interests you. I personally don't know anything about marketing, entrepreneurship, etc courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@SimpleThings wrote
I am currently in grade 10. I just finished 1st semester and now i'm in semester 2. Although I may only be in grade 10, I am worried I'm not working as hard as I should be to get to where I want to get to...

These are the marks i got in semester 1:

Academic Math: 75
Intro to Business: 88
Comm. Tech: 90
Civics: 83

and this semester I am taking French, Science, English and History.

1) What are your thoughts on these marks? Low? Should I put more effort in and work harder?
2) Also, I'm planning to go to university for business (undecided yet)
3) I will need to take Advanced Functions, Calculus & Vectors, & English as requirements for most business courses. Are the 2 math courses hard? Should i get a tutor?
5) What are some good businesses courses I should take for grade 11? Accounting? Marketing?
4) What other courses should I take for grade 11? I am unsure whether I should take biology and/or chemistry (alot of people take them )and since I want to study business in university/college, I won't need it but of course, I'm not 110% sure about business.
5) Should I consider taking co-op?
6) What marks do universities look at? If I don't have alot of extra-curriculars does it affect it a whole lot?

Sorry this may seem super long but any feedback/suggestions/tips will be appreciated even if you don't answer all the questions. Thanks :tongue: !!

1) Just work on math. Your other marks mean little to nothing imo
2) In that case, just work on math.
3) I would say calc is easier than AF, but that's really up to the person. I think 90+ is attainable for pretty much anyone given the right amount of effort and focus, but a tutor wouldn't help (although whether it's worth it could be debated)
4) ?????
5) Accounting is useful. Econ and int business and whatever are all somewhat relevant but not necessary. They are great mark boosters though.
4) If you have absolutely 0% interest in the sciences, than don't take them. Personally, I knew I would be interested in engineering/life sci so I took all 3 sciences and still applied to business programs with a decent average. However, taking all 3 sciences limits your flexibility a lot and you could take bird courses in their place (or fast track)
5) ???????????? If you have enough credits, sure. I think it'd be better to take 2 bird courses though.
6) For business, they'll look at English + calc + 1 more math + 3 electives. The math requirements are different for each school, but it's generally English + 1/2 maths. Every school treats EC's differently, but don't let your EC's take away from your academics. Aim for a 90-92 average, and if you still have spare time load up on EC's. Academics should be your main priority though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0