yconic - Schulich BBA, Rotman Commerce, UTSC Coop Management?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich BBA, Rotman Commerce, UTSC Coop Management?

A photo of VivekanJey VivekanJey
Hey I wanted to get into any of these school to possibly get my CA Designation
Rotman for BCOMM
Schulich BBA
UTSC for their Coop Management including Economics
Waterloo AFM

that is in order of preference!
Currently these are my marks:
Accounting- 95
Advanced Functions - 94
Data Management - 86
English - 80
I'll probably maintain the first two and bring up the last two for sure...

not to mention I expect to get the following marks in semester 2:
Law- 94
French - 94
Calculus - 90
Economics - 92

if that helps!

What do you think about my chances of getting into these programs are? I have fairly good extracurricular: sports, councils, clubs, volunteering and all that!
Any insight on the personal statement for Rotman, the essays for Schulich and whatever we are required to do for UTSC would be nice too if anyone knows!
Btw for anyone who knows .. how's the work load in all these programs??

Thanks ... any help is appreciated!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of cocoappleli cocoappleli
Wow you're pretty much applying to the exact things I want to apply for (except that I'm not applying to Waterloo).

All I know is that U ot T cares a lot about prerequisites, so it would be nice if your English mark is higher. I researched a lot about these three programs on the internet, and a lot of people said that some people even with a 95% average didn't make it for Rotman, while some with only a 85% did, just because they had a higher average... So just work hard to boost up your English marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Work load: None of them have super heavy workloads. It should be around the same. To give you an idea, Schulich is 15 hours of class per week and readings/group work after. It's hard to give you numbers for the exact number of hours of work we have, but I can tell you it's definitely manageable.

Chances of getting in: Mark-wise, you should be fine for all of them. It really depends on your extracurriculars/AFMAA/supplementary applications. Since you said that you have fairly good EC's, I guess it just depends on how well you can sell them in writing. For Schulich, get your English mark up to a high 80/low 90 to be safer.

Supplementaries:
Rotman's - don't even worry about it. It's due after all the other ones, and it's one question, so by then, it'll be very easy to BS about your EC's in the personal statement. Rotman's supp is a joke compared to the others.
Schulich - the three essay questions are pretty short. They're not difficult; be yourself, and sell what you are.
UTSC - this supplementary was more comprehensive than the other two, I felt. It isn't difficult either; it's just longer overall. There's a mix of typical supplementary questions and other questions, such as one that asks you to predict your marks for next semester.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wow what a coincidence! Good luck to you.
Yeah I've heard that a lot but I'm afraid my ceiling for English would probably be an 85
:( I'll be working hard though

15 hours only? I heard business programs don't consume your time that much but wow!
Again .. that's basically impossible in my school with regards to those English marks! What's AFMAA by the way?

Really? I heard that Rotman's personal statement is looked at very highly! But that's probably how it is with every other school too. I guess I'll have to work on selling myself properly then.

Which of those do you think I have better odds in like from 1-4?

Thanks a lot to both of you for your responses .. really appreciate the help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah I've heard that a lot but I'm afraid my ceiling for English would probably be an 85

15 hours only? I heard business programs don't consume your time that much but wow!
Again .. that's basically impossible in my school with regards to those English marks! What's AFMAA by the way?

Really? I heard that Rotman's personal statement is looked at very highly! But that's probably how it is with every other school too. I guess I'll have to work on selling myself properly then.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yep, only 15 hours. :) Most first years at Schulich have a four day week; some even have three days of class. Group projects can take up a lot of time. Readings do too. The material itself isn't difficult; it just takes time.

Where'd you hear that Rotman's personal statement is looked at very highly? I'm sure they look at it, but completing it is like a stroll in the park compared to the other supplementaries. It was honestly one essay question - maybe two paragraphs long max.

The AFMAA is the test that you write for admission into the AFM program. Out of all the applicants, those who meet a certain average get invites to write the AFMAA in Waterloo. After the test, the admission decisions are made based on your marks, your supplementary, and your AFMAA score. It's a test of communication. If I recall correctly, it was made up of three essay questions.

As for your odds, I don't really want to rank them because a lot of it depends on your supplementary and other factors. However, I think Schulich will be the most difficult and Rotman will be the easiest. UTSC shouldn't be too bad either. AFM really depends on your AFMAA. I know lots of people who got into Schulich but were rejected from AFM.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cocoappleli cocoappleli

@VivekanJey wrote

Good luck to you too.

Have you submitted your applications yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0