yconic - Schulich, Failed Course
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich, Failed Course

A photo of vwaznov vwaznov
Hey guys. Earlier in the summer, I found out I had failed a core course in Schulich. I'm really anxious at this point - especially with the somber and frank way in which matters are being handled by administration.

Never failed a course in Schulich - or ever during my schooling. Any reassuring words at this point would really help. Does anyone how these things work?

Edit: Cumulative GPA of 6.3/B, and I've been withdrawn from the program. Currently going through the debarment appeal process. Any specifics related to this (if you've gone through this) or the likelihood of coming out of the other side unscathed would be much appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I don't know how Schulich in particular handles this, but typically if your GPA falls below a certain threshold (and it's likely it would if you failed a course) you are put on academic probation. This means you have one term to bring up your GPA. If you don't, you get to take a semester or a year off.

It would probably be better to ask the administration what the consequences are though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ thanks for your response. I've made a few additions to my original post. It's really difficult to hold myself together at this point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I know Schulich is a competitive program, but I find it a little unreasonable that you got kicked out. Your GPA otherwise isn't that low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In that sense, they do mention how this would be a result. I've also heard of how people who wish to return, do get another crack at the course and the program itself.

I'm hoping someone with the experience or relations w/ admin steps out. Gives me a clear understanding of what I should be doing/expecting. Thanks for hearing me out, buddy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Schulich2013 Schulich2013
If you have failed a course you have to go through the appeal process...its pretty standard. If your GPA is above a 5.0 and you are doing fine in other courses, you will not get kicked out of the program....they will probably make you re-take the course and come up with a revised study plan for the following year.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ I'm going through it now. Will be re-taking the course once I'm re-accepted.

One question: I lack a clear extenuating circumstance, like health or family issues, which they ask for. I just emphasized accountability, the substantial amount of extracurricular involvement, and revised method of studying. With a B average, and based on the other stuff you mentioned, is it that simple? My file was sent to be reviewed a week and a half back. Should I not be overly stressed out?... cos the anxiety is killing me right now :(

Thanks for your comments!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Schulich2013 Schulich2013
hey, try calling the office and asking them how long it usually takes... maybe they have a long list of appeals to process (i know a lot of people that failed courses in my year.) Good luck!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0