yconic - Schulich Leader Awards
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich Leader Awards

A photo of s062454096 s062454096
I'm a Schulich leader nominee, and have to write a 600 word pgraph on why I would make a good leader or whatever. How are other people tackling this topic? It's hard to make yourself seem awesome without sounding braggy...thoughttss?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
This is only for STEM..not any Business schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joshdmcc joshdmcc

@Finance27 wrote
This is only for STEM..not any Business schools?

Two different things. Shulich is a name for a lot of things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, it's for people going into the STEM areas in a select list of schools across canada...it's pretty legit- 60k!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hdefinition Hdefinition
Would you care to explain what the full topic is. and is it supposed to be a 600 word essay or paragraph? lol. I might possibly get nominated by my school for this. What was your grade average by the way?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Once you are nominated you get sent an email with all of the application info. The only question you have to answer (along with basic contact info) is literally:
'Write an essay of up to 600 words describing why you feel you would make a great Schulich Leader'

I'm not loving my current essays..don't know how to strengthen it to read better...
And my GPA is 98% atm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jazz10 jazz10
Do you have to log all of your activities or is just basic contact info and the essay?

I'm waiting to find out if I'm the nominee for my school or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You only need to do that 600 word essay. There is also a 250 word essay on financial need, but it's optional. Thassit!
Deadline for being recognized as a nominee is Jan. 13 though, so make sure you talk to someone about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackhole252 blackhole252
I'm also a Schulich nominee (gpa 96%) and I'm in the same boat as you so I'll be monitoring this thread often.

How should I write the optional essay?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alexchan1015 alexchan1015
Hello, I am a Schulich nominee of my school too. Just out of curiosity, how is the gpa calculated?
My marks:
Chemistry 12 - 99
Math 12 - 100
Physics 12 - 100
Calculus 12 - 100
AP Calculus AB - 100
English - 87

Will they only look at my grade 12 marks? I've been lazy all these years until now to be honest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

One more thing, does anyone know approximately how many nominees there are?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of igiwyg igiwyg
Oh my Lord...you seem to be a group of gifted individuals. I bet your parents are so proud!:) Well, this is all I wanted to say. Best of luck to you all! (not that you need it..)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awesomelyepical awesomelyepical
I'm in the same position. I have no idea how to tackle this. Anybody want to share their ideas?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mine reads almost like a self recommendation/reference letter, which I find weird, but it's kind of what they're asking for.
I just don't think that's enough to set me apart from the hundreds of other candidates!
Also- for the head shot, it can be below 1MB- I emailed them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alexchan1015 wrote
Hello, I am a Schulich nominee of my school too. Just out of curiosity, how is the gpa calculated?
My marks:
Chemistry 12 - 99
Math 12 - 100
Physics 12 - 99
Calculus 12 - 100
AP Calculus AB - 100
English - 87

Will they only look at my grade 12 marks? I've been lazy all these years until now to be honest.

Those are phenomenal marks 0_0. Congrats. My marks are similar to yours but i am behind by about 1 % except in english :P. I still wasnt nominated though even with marks like urs. I was bested by one with more EC's beat me. I still think I should have gotten it cause im currently the highest gpa in the whole school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Hdefinition wrote

@alexchan1015 wrote
My marks:
Chemistry 12 - 99
Math 12 - 100
Physics 12 - 99
Calculus 12 - 100
AP Calculus AB - 100
English - 87

Those are phenomenal marks 0_0. Congrats. My marks are similar to yours but i am behind by about 1 % except in english :P. I still wasnt nominated though even with marks like urs. I was bested by one with more EC's beat me. I still think I should have gotten it cause im currently the highest gpa in the whole school.

Thanks :) Physics 100 now! I hate english, dropped my gpa so much ><
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alexchan1015 wrote

@Hdefinition wrote

@alexchan1015 wrote
My marks:
Chemistry 12 - 99
Math 12 - 100
Physics 12 - 99
Calculus 12 - 100
AP Calculus AB - 100
English - 87

Thanks :) Physics 100 now! I hate english, dropped my gpa so much ><

Hah, im at 101 now in Physics! :P. But my chem is slipping though i believe its only at 97 :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0