yconic - Schulich or Rotman?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich or Rotman?

A photo of Eupher Eupher
I was recently accepted to both programs and am wondering which would offer the best opportunities for careers in finance and/or consulting.

I am torn between the two, and I wish for some insight and opinions to help me decide

-I love the downtown environment
-I prefer small class sizes
-I want diversity (ratio-wise in terms of ethnicity)
-Offers the greatest variety of clubs/social groups
-Reputation-wise in the US and abroad
-Capable career services and support

Was this helpful? Yes 0
29 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Eupher wrote
I was recently accepted to both programs and am wondering which would offer the best opportunities for careers in finance and/or consulting.

I am torn between the two, and I wish for some insight and opinions to help me decide

-I love the downtown environment
-I prefer small class sizes
-I want diversity (ratio-wise in terms of ethnicity)
-Offers the greatest variety of clubs/social groups
-Reputation-wise in the US and abroad
-Capable career services and support

Schulich is the most diverse out of those two.
Rotman should have a better reputation in the US, simply because of the University of Toronto name (someone more knowledge might be able to confirm this)
Both offer several clubs/social groups
Schulich has the better career service and support

If you had the option of Ivey or Queens though, I would pick either or simply because of the better opportunities it brings in the fields of Finance and Consulting (I'm sure someone will disagree though) In my opinion though, they are around even.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Respects wrote
Both programs are filled with Asians. Rotman weeds out students while students generally do well in Schulich. York as a university is definitely more social than U of T. Internationally U of T has the better reputation. Rotman is probably better for finance. Schulich specializes in accounting.

Rotman makes Schulich look like Queen's Commerce.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Rotman takes a lot of heat on these forums but if you feel you can survive in it, it's not too bad.

For undergrad though, imo Schulich is better in almost every way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Eupher Eupher
Which one has more overall hires and company presence during recruitment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lynn9391 lynn9391
I was in your situation as well, between schulich and rotman.

here are the pros and cons of each, imo.

schulich:

pros:
smaller class size, tighter-knit community
beautiful building
strong selection of required business courses
international perspective and opportunities
cheaper tuition and rez, lol

cons:
york is slightly not as "up there" and recognized worldwide
social life/extra-curriculars not as strong in york
not as much connection with students out of the faculty

rotman:
Pros:
downtown life, tons of opportunites
UofT must be ranked first in Canada for a reason
lots of electives to choose from

cons:

not the most well-established program when compared to other schools
stronger MBA than umdergrad
more competitive (?)
huge classes

but, i gave in to rotman. i just couldnt put myself at york, haha . =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lynn9391 wrote

huge classes

I don't know but a Rotman Commerce student currently in his 3rd year told me that in first year, class sizes are usually 50-60 people for the pre-requisite econ/management/calc courses and after you specialize, class sizes go down to 20-30 people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Eupher Eupher
Do you think Rotman Commerce is improving? Are Schulich and Rotman comparable in finance?

Thanks for all the input guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, Schulich and Rotman are comparable in Finance and Accounting as well.

Most of the people who've I talked to are not happy with Schulich. :S.

Don't let this influence your decision though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i meant huge classes as in for first year, compared to schulich. afterall rotman is about triple the size right ..

haha it feels like many people on SA are pro ivey and QC, very little are for schulich or rotman ..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lynn9391 wrote
i meant huge classes as in for first year, compared to schulich. afterall rotman is about triple the size right ..

haha it feels like many people on SA are pro ivey and QC, very little are for schulich or rotman ..

So true, haha. It's easy to understand their reasoning though, most come on here are IBanking seekers.

Anyways, schulich enrollment's 380 while Rotman's first year enrollment is about 650, that's about 2x but not quite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

true, if you count both bba and ibba progs.. but they have seperate classes for the most part right?

whatever haha ROTMAN YEHH. (y)
where do you go?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Rotman.
My first choice was McGill but that's not how life works haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what year are you? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

going into year 1 o____o
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingPow KingPow
I'm going into second year Rotman and I would just like to clarify on class sizes. In first year your class sizes will be pretty big, but once you hit second year(after people get weeded) your classes will shrink dramatically. There will be a max cap of 50 people per class and the average class size will be from 30-45 people(in second year). As for where you should go between Rotman and Schulich I would simply say go to the school where you think you can succeed. If you work hard and stay up to date with your work, Rotman shouldn't be too bad. In the end you can't go wrong with either :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

KingPow, I have so many questions!
How's class difficulty, in your opinion, for ECO/RSM/MAT 133Y?
How's the social scene?
How is your overall experience?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Eupher Eupher
KingPow, how is the career center at Rotman Commerce? Fairly supportive or lackluster?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35, ECO really depends on what prof you have. Some prof's make it easy and other prof's make it ridiculously difficult. I had prof Pesando and his tests were the most difficult, but they were fair. I found the best way to tackle ECO was practice, practice, practice past tests and anything you could get your hands on. Ecoman also proved to be useful. I think out of all the courses people had most problems with ECO, however I didn't find it particularly difficult. RSM is all multiple choice based and the questions are extremely specific. In other words memorize the book and slides and you should be fine. Mat133 is really soft, I barely went to class and did fairly well, just do all the assigned questions and you're good.

As for the social scene, its much more competitive than any other program and because of that people tend to be studying more than socializing. That's not to say that there isn't any social scene, as long as you are outgoing and keen on making friends you will have a great experience. Overall experience 8/10, what can I say I'm an optimist. You get what you want out of the experience. There isn't as much studying as you think, its only when exam time hits you really have to buckle up and work, otherwise you're free to chill and do whatever interests you and Downtown Toronto is fantastic, so that's why I gave the experience an 8/10.

Hope that answers your questions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Eupher, I'm entering second year this September. Having said that I actually haven't been at nor used the career center yet. So I can't provide an answer atm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks KingPow!
I'm just looking for good friends who aren't stuck up and aren't studying 24/7. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Eupher Eupher
What are the specializations that most of your peers are interested/pursuing come this September? Is the grading scheme as difficult as some have said?

How diverse is the program in terms of ethnicity? Is it true that the majority are internationals?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Eupher wrote
What are the specializations that most of your peers are interested/pursuing come this September? Is the grading scheme as difficult as some have said?

How diverse is the program in terms of ethnicity? Is it true that the majority are internationals?

I've heard they've really trimmed down on the amount of internationals they accepted this year. I've also heard that a good number of the 30% who drop out are international students with difficulty in English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35, if you join an FLC that will be a great opportunity to make friends right from the start, I highly recommend it!

@Eupher, most of my peers are entering into Accounting since Rotman is known for its great accounting program. In terms of the grading scheme the average tends to float around the C+ margin aka 67-69%. If an exam median is for example below that C+ range, they'll bell curve everyone up(they don't bell curve down). Again, if you have the right work ethic and motivation there is no reason you can't be well above the average.

The program is somewhat diverse. I believe(don't quote me on this) that 25% of the kids are international. There are also quite a few Asian Canadians. But overall its pretty diverse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mauds mauds

@Daruki35 wrote

@Eupher wrote

I've heard they've really trimmed down on the amount of internationals they accepted this year. I've also heard that a good number of the 30% who drop out are international students with difficulty in English.

I do not know a lot about Rotman Commerce, but this link states 27% of the students are international.
http://www.rotmancommerce.utoronto.ca/news/facts/rcquick.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0