yconic - Schulich or WLU/UW?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich or WLU/UW?

A photo of lolsup lolsup
I applied to the Schulich BBA and the WLU/UW Business & Math double degree co-op program. I've heard great things about them both. They both have their pros and cons. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
One requires you to take a large number of mathematics courses. The other is also an excellent program, but unless you pursue a more quantitative route, it's more of a "soft-skills" focused program.

What are you looking to get into? Are you prepared to take a ton of math courses? Are you good at math? Have you visited the schools? Are costs a concern?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolsup lolsup
I think I'm okay at math. I've been able to pull off 90's with a considerable amount of work. Cost really isn't a determining factor for me.
I'm trying to get into finance, investment banking or stock brokering specifically.
I've visited Waterloo and it seems like a great city. Really student-oriented.
I have yet to visit Schulich.

I've heard that the Schulich BBA has an amazing program. Great reputation.
But the double degree has great co-op placements. But I've heard it's work intensive.
Really confused :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@lolsup wrote
I think I'm okay at math. I've been able to pull off 90's with a considerable amount of work. Cost really isn't a determining factor for me.
I'm trying to get into finance, investment banking or stock brokering specifically.

But the double degree has great co-op placements. But I've heard it's work intensive.

If you're not worried about the math courses, I would recommend the DD. Students get great finance placements. They're both good schools though.

I also suggest researching more about finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@lolsup wrote

I think if you had to work pretty hard for those 90s, then you should be wary of waterloo's math, and be prepared to work very hard if you want to achieve average to good grades (since most of your classmates will be math inclined= stiffer competition and bell curve).

but then again, you chose math- so if you like it/chose it, you probs would do better than someone who got stuck with it.

make a bunch of criteria, and then score each school (you can weight criteria as well). see which scores higher, and take that into consideration.

luck - these are hard decisions :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@lolsup wrote
I applied to the Schulich BBA and the WLU/UW Business & Math double degree co-op program. I've heard great things about them both. They both have their pros and cons. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

People committing to a math degree isn't that big of a deal. The DD and the Schulich programs will be ENTIRELY different experiences. Doing a whole BMath is not just a minor add on, it will be a HUGE part of your undergraduate education experience.

Just be wary of that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolsup lolsup
I'm really confused at this moment.
Waterloo's math is intimidating. But the DD is really great for co-op in finance. I think I'd be able to secure a desirable position right after I graduate.
Personally, I don't think I have a solid work ethic. I'm able to get things done, but I tend to procrastinate a lot.

But right now, the only thing that's really attracting me to WLU/UW is the co-op.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lolsup wrote
I'm really confused at this moment.
Waterloo's math is intimidating. But the DD is really great for co-op in finance. I think I'd be able to secure a desirable position right after I graduate.
Personally, I don't think I have a solid work ethic. I'm able to get things done, but I tend to procrastinate a lot.

But right now, the only thing that's really attracting me to WLU/UW is the co-op.

Is this Laurier home-school Math/BBA?

If not, you'll find that there aren't a lot of co-op positions that you would be interested in Waterloo. It's a Math/CS/Eng school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolsup lolsup
Yeah, you can apply from the Laurier side or the Waterloo side.
I applied from the Laurier side assuming it would be less competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
Same situation. I've been accepted to both. I picked the Schulich BBA over the DD. I feel that the Math will help me education wise, but not in terms of career. Schulich's program is prestigious and has a high quality experience, which I like more. I will be taking some math/quant. courses on the side in order to fill up my math necessities. Laurier is also giving me $25,000 (if I keep the 95+)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@Finance27 wrote
Same situation. I've been accepted to both. I picked the Schulich BBA over the DD. I feel that the Math will help me education wise, but not in terms of career. Schulich's program is prestigious and has a high quality experience, which I like more. I will be taking some math/quant. courses on the side in order to fill up my math necessities. Laurier is also giving me $25,000 (if I keep the 95+)

it's 20,000 -not 25,000.... :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote

@Finance27 wrote

it's 20,000 -not 25,000.... :P

Incorrect. DD is 5 years and you can extend your scholarship (5K per annum) to your last year as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lolsup wrote
Yeah, you can apply from the Laurier side or the Waterloo side.
I applied from the Laurier side assuming it would be less competitive.

Then it's really if you want to do Math or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hybridfx2 hybridfx2
haha I was in your position 2 years ago.

Co-op is such a beneficial addition to your resume. It helps you jumpstart your career in ways prestige and school reputation cannot. For this reason alone I would choose DD over Schulich. My other reasons included getting two degrees, and moving away from home.

Be careful though, Waterloo's math is not for the weak.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolsup lolsup

@hybridfx2 wrote

Co-op is such a beneficial addition to your resume. It helps you jumpstart your career in ways prestige and school reputation cannot. For this reason alone I would choose DD over Schulich. My other reasons included getting two degrees, and moving away from home.

Are you currently in the program?
Great! I have a couple questions haha. :P
First, what is the minimum average you have to maintain for the business/math courses?
and, do your grades/average determine whether or not you get co-op, or is it a guaranteed thing?

Right now, I'm finding it hard to choose between Schulich and the DD. I think the DD is going to help me in the long run, but then again Schulich is close to home.
What would you recommend?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AJP13 AJP13

@lolsup wrote

@hybridfx2 wrote

Are you currently in the program?
Great! I have a couple questions haha. :P
First, what is the minimum average you have to maintain for the business/math courses?
and, do your grades/average determine whether or not you get co-op, or is it a guaranteed thing?

Right now, I'm finding it hard to choose between Schulich and the DD. I think the DD is going to help me in the long run, but then again Schulich is close to home.
What would you recommend?

I am not in the program yet, but I have looked into it a lot.
1. You have to maintain a 7.0 (70%) average in your business courses and a 5.0 (60%) average for your math courses

2. You are require to do co-op for the DD that is split between Laurier and UW. It is guaranteed entrance to co-op as long as you are maintain the averages necessary to continue in the degrees. However, the grades/average you are getting will determine the offers you get in terms of employment and pay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@hybridfx2 wrote

Co-op is a nice comfort zone. However, internship with the same companies which hire for co-op looks just as good.

On the long run, your network will help you more than anything. Schulich is a better place to build your network for two reasons. One is the students within the program. Quality of both undergraduate students and MBAs at Schulich is amazing and most of us are very hungry and determined. Building relationships with future super stars from the very beginning will have a tremendous benefit on the long run. Another reason for Schulich is its location. My friends at Waterloo and Laurier get 1-3 chances to network with each of the Big 4 firms and 1-2 with banks. At Schulich, being in Toronto, your opportunities are limitless. I meet with people from the industry I am targeting 1-3 times per week for coffee or lunch. I would not trade this for a "safer" co-op. With the amount of people who got to know me and are impressed with what I am doing, I am looking forward to an internship with one of the Big 4 for the summer anyways.

P.S. lolsup, PM if you have any specific questions regarding Schulich BBA/iBBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AJP13 wrote

1. You have to maintain a 7.0 (70%) average in your business courses and a 5.0 (60%) average for your math courses

2. You are require to do co-op for the DD that is split between Laurier and UW. It is guaranteed entrance to co-op as long as you are maintain the averages necessary to continue in the degrees. However, the grades/average you are getting will determine the offers you get in terms of employment and pay.

This is correct.

@MINTOK wrote

@hybridfx2 wrote

Co-op is a nice comfort zone. However, internship with the same companies which hire for co-op looks just as good.

On the long run, your network will help you more than anything. Schulich is a better place to build your network for two reasons. One is the students within the program. Quality of both undergraduate students and MBAs at Schulich is amazing and most of us are very hungry and determined. Building relationships with future super stars from the very beginning will have a tremendous benefit on the long run. Another reason for Schulich is its location. My friends at Waterloo and Laurier get 1-3 chances to network with each of the Big 4 firms and 1-2 with banks. At Schulich, being in Toronto, your opportunities are limitless. I meet with people from the industry I am targeting 1-3 times per week for coffee or lunch. I would not trade this for a "safer" co-op. With the amount of people who got to know me and are impressed with what I am doing, I am looking forward to an internship with one of the Big 4 for the summer anyways.

Networking is a great tool to advance your career.
To me it sounds like you are very well put together, your extracurricular's look great and you're probably doing well in school. Being at the top of your class will get you a great job no matter what school you go to. However due to the co-op aspect, I do feel the average DD will have a better career than the average schulich grad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@hybridfx2 wrote

@AJP13 wrote

This is correct.

@MINTOK wrote

@hybridfx2 wrote

Networking is a great tool to advance your career.
To me it sounds like you are very well put together, your extracurricular's look great and you're probably doing well in school. Being at the top of your class will get you a great job no matter what school you go to. However due to the co-op aspect, I do feel the average DD will have a better career than the average schulich grad.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Schulich Career Development Center report shows that Schulich grads do get great placements, if we shall speak about the average students. However, keeners such as those who can be found on this forum definitely don't want to be average. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Schulich Career Development Center report shows that Schulich grads do get great placements, if we shall speak about the average students. However, keeners such as those who can be found on this forum definitely don't want to be average. :)

Laurier offers the largest co-op program in Canada, with DD placement rates being consistently high year to year.

TBH, I wasn't very involved in school first and second year. My only EC's were a couple intramural sports teams and a general member position with the investment association. My only work experience was as a youth sports coach and a fast food cook. For my first coop term, I was still able to land a CA position with a small firm, which I would have never achieved had I went anywhere else.

It really is up to you OP. If you really apply yourself and become involved, the school you choose will hardly matter.

Visit both campuses and see which one suits you better. Full Disclosure: I dislike the small campus atmosphere at Laurier and wish I stayed in Toronto. However I would not want to be in any other program than this one.

Also as one poster previously stated: This is not a math major, it is a degree. You will be required to take math courses in every year of study.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@hybridfx2 wrote

Visit both campuses and see which one suits you better.

Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolsup lolsup
I think I'm going to accept Schulich.
I'm visiting Schulich on the 31st for the open house, so I'll check out the campus and what not.

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0