yconic - Schulich Student Life
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich Student Life

A photo of drishinbalz drishinbalz
What's the school spirit/social life like at Schulich? What's an average day like? Are there a lot of parties? What's the mentality like (work hard play hard/ all work no play/ all play no work)? Is schoolwork demanding enough to take a toll on social life? What are the student demographics like? Are most students geeky/nerdy or they like to chill back and have fun? Do people at Schulich like it there? What's the relation between Schulich and the rest of York in terms of students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@drishinbalz wrote
What's the school spirit/social life like at Schulich? What's an average day like? Are there a lot of parties? What's the mentality like (work hard play hard/ all work no play/ all play no work)? Is schoolwork demanding enough to take a toll on social life? What are the student demographics like? Are most students geeky/nerdy or they like to chill back and have fun? Do people at Schulich like it there? What's the relation between Schulich and the rest of York in terms of students?

I love the social life here. We do work hard, but we also play hard. When I say work hard, I don't mean academically. That's easy. On top of that I and a few more keeners are always networking, attending conferences and doing competitions. If you look at academics only, we work less than 1 hour per course per week. On an average day, you would come to Schulich (Schu) building, go to the basement where people "pretend to study" and chill there for an hour or two. Then you debate if you should go to class or not. Sometimes you go. If not, you chill more. Get lunch,; talk about random stuff. If you're involved in school, you'd probably be wearing a suit because you are going to have some meeting or networking event you are going to attend later that day. I wear suits 3/4 days, but I am a special case as most people would say. There were A LOT of parties in September. After that there are some 1 per 1 or two weeks and then again a lot after exams/midterms. However, I don't like parties. I'd rather host a poker game and have some drinks with a smaller group of people and I find that's how most people are. However, 30% still like to do wild partying. Demographic is 32% Oriental-ish, 32% Brown-ish, 32% White-ish and 4% black. I love this school and most people share the same view. i wouldn't go anywhere else in Canada for business even if they paid me (as they did). I only have 1 class at York and I don't really venture out much out of the Schulich community. I heard York fears us/hates us/is jealous of us, but most Schulichers don't care about that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldstorm goldstorm

@MINTOK wrote

@drishinbalz wrote

I love the social life here. We do work hard, but we also play hard. When I say work hard, I don't mean academically. That's easy. On top of that I and a few more keeners are always networking, attending conferences and doing competitions. If you look at academics only, we work less than 1 hour per course per week. On an average day, you would come to Schulich (Schu) building, go to the basement where people "pretend to study" and chill there for an hour or two. Then you debate if you should go to class or not. Sometimes you go. If not, you chill more. Get lunch,; talk about random stuff. If you're involved in school, you'd probably be wearing a suit because you are going to have some meeting or networking event you are going to attend later that day. I wear suits 3/4 days, but I am a special case as most people would say. There were A LOT of parties in September. After that there are some 1 per 1 or two weeks and then again a lot after exams/midterms. However, I don't like parties. I'd rather host a poker game and have some drinks with a smaller group of people and I find that's how most people are. However, 30% still like to do wild partying. Demographic is 32% Oriental-ish, 32% Brown-ish, 32% White-ish and 4% black. I love this school and most people share the same view. i wouldn't go anywhere else in Canada for business even if they paid me (as they did). I only have 1 class at York and I don't really venture out much out of the Schulich community. I heard York fears us/hates us/is jealous of us, but most Schulichers don't care about that.

You make schulich sound so chill LOL :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
These memes might better describe Schu relationship with York

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@goldstorm wrote

@MINTOK wrote

@drishinbalz wrote

You make schulich sound so chill LOL :P

If you stay on top of your studies, or as mintok mentioned, study as hard as you party. Then, it'll probably be chill. :D

P.S: glad to know schulich has a nice social scene. One of the drawbacks of schulich for me was how it's just one building...guess the students knows how to use the building to its fullest. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Caroshin Caroshin

@MINTOK wrote
These memes might better describe Schu relationship with York

lolschulichmemes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
<=15 hours of class a week is chills. Most of my Schulich friends only have days they have class scheduled 3-4 times a week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of drishinbalz drishinbalz
Yeah that's the general feeling I've gotten! It sounds so much better to have a focus on networking rather than just work, work, work. I like what the social life sounds like as well, and demographics seem pretty good to me! Just really hoping to get an offer from Schulich!!! Thanks for all the responses! And LOL at the York stuff :P

Does anyone know how they treat unconverted IB grades (from outside North America)? What would be reasonable to get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii
MINTOK is absolutely right. Anybody that says that Schulich students don't have a social life is greatly mistaken. Most of the time, we're in the basement finishing up a word document, working on a powerpoint, or pretending to read. Trust me, you won't get any reading done down there lol (It toot me 30 minutes to read 3 pages) haha. When we have to study, we usually spend an hour or two locked up somewhere, but then we walk around looking for people to hang out with that aren't up to anything. Schulich can be pretty lively if you choose to make it that way, and it's a lot of fun.

Did I mention we have our own bar? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0