yconic - Schulich vs. Ivey?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich vs. Ivey?

A photo of cindyyyin cindyyyin
I recently got offers from both Schulich and Ivey, and they're my top two choices. I'm still debating as to which one I should accept, so it'd be great to see all of your opinions. There are definitely pros and cons to both schools, but I'm just not sure which one is better suited for myself.

In terms of tuition, Schulich is definitely cheaper since starting in third year Ivey is around $20,000 annually. I live right in Toronto, so Schulich is more convenient for me since I won't have to move to London, and I also know so many of the students going to Schulich next year already. Also, I'm not sure how well I'll adapt to the case-study method at Ivey, but I'm also a little tired of the regular textbook-lecture format of Schulich. Personally, I'm leaning more towards a career in Finance, and I hear that Ivey is better known in that regard. From looking at reports in previous years, the employment opportunities and starting salaries for Finance graduates are higher at Ivey and than Schulich, and the former's alumni network is more broad.

Maybe a lot of people are have this type of dilemma between other schools as well, but I'd really like to see all of your thoughts on both programs.

Also, anyone know if Ivey AEO 2012 students have a Facebook group like Schulich does?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of anthonyt94 anthonyt94
Ivey definitely has more opportunities in finance but at the end of the day if you have the marks, you will get into finance at Schulich as well. If your absolutely set on finance, than I would recommend Ivey... However, Since the schools are so close, I highly value the residence and the atmosphere of each university. Go to both and get a feel for it, where can you picture yourself for four more years? Either path you go will lead to success, just choose the path that will make your journey more pleasant. I'm not going to get into reports and all that, I just think it comes down to where you can see yourself in September. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of garethdomingo garethdomingo
I'd go with Ivey. Both schools are amazing in terms of program, but Western's campus/student life is unparalleled. However, it is expensive... which is my biggest concern. Schulich, Western/Ivey, and Queen's are all tied for first, but I feel that at Queens and Western/Ivey I could truly immerse myself in the university experience.

So,

in terms of program: doesn't matter where you go.

in terms of social/student life:go to western/ivey, live in london, go to parties, join school clubs and teams.

if money is a factor: go to Schulich. York's campus isn't spectacular, but the Schulich building is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
Take Ivey and never look back!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey312 ivey312
I chose Ivey and I've never looked back. I'm not in finance but people in my class have signed with Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Barclays, etc. in Toronto, NY, and LA. We actually have a lot of transfers from Schulich as well. The alumni network is amazing, you will definitely be able to talk to people from the firm you want to work at and alumni are really nice and helpful! Can't speak for Schulich since I didn't go there but both are great choices!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of viii viii
Both are really good schools, and you can't go wrong with either one. But have you taken finance-related courses before? The thing with Schulich is that it's a well-rounded school with a growing reputation in Finance. This year we had a lot of guys go into Sales & Trading and Investment Banking at Canadian Banks. The reason why we can't really get into the US is because we don't have the alumni to do it, but that's because we've been focused on Accounting for so long and only recently are people breaking through towards Finance.

The education you receive is identical. People can say whatever they like, but at the end of it all your undergraduate degree in business is the same across all of the top tier programs. The difference is the networking opportunities. But if you can network, you can go anywhere and succeed.

Speaking for Schulich, we've had first years land internships at the Big 4 and small financial institutions. It's the diveristy of opportunities that makes the school really appealing, because you don't feel restrained by your choices when you're in the program.

If you're 100% set on Finance and you know what it is, then Ivey would probably be your best choice. If you want to keep yourself open towards Accounting and Finance, Schulich would be the better choice.

Just my 2 cents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DayOnBay DayOnBay
Some big changes happening at Ivey.

"LONDON, ON – At an afternoon press conference on Friday, the Richard Ivey School of Business, one of Ontario’s top business schools, announced that as of the 2012-2013 academic year Ivey Career Management would be effectively privatized.

The move comes after the unveiling of the Ontario Liberal Party’s 2012 Ontario Budget on March 27. Ivey, as well as all business schools in Ontario, are scrambling after a move by the Liberals to keep government contributions to the education of students enrolled in business schools frozen until 2016."

Check out the full article here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DeanVermillion DeanVermillion

@DayOnBay wrote

"LONDON, ON – At an afternoon press conference on Friday, the Richard Ivey School of Business, one of Ontario’s top business schools, announced that as of the 2012-2013 academic year Ivey Career Management would be effectively privatized.

The move comes after the unveiling of the Ontario Liberal Party’s 2012 Ontario Budget on March 27. Ivey, as well as all business schools in Ontario, are scrambling after a move by the Liberals to keep government contributions to the education of students enrolled in business schools frozen until 2016."

So whats the impact on Ivey? Bad or good?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@DayOnBay wrote

Doesn't that affect pretty much every school? Or is Ivey's affected more because its HBA program is more standalone than QC or Schulich?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deca4life deca4life

@DayOnBay wrote

Cant tell if this is an April Fools joke or not.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0