yconic - Schulich vs. UTSC co-op management
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Schulich vs. UTSC co-op management

A photo of cocoappleli cocoappleli
So.... just wondering which one is better?
I know that Schulich definitely has a really good program, but in co-op, you would get a lot of work experience. So I don't know which program is better to go into for Accounting.

University wise, U of T is better than York.
Money wise, Schulich is less expensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of erudite erudite
If you wanna do accounting, then do Schulich since UTSC isn't accredited by ICAO. And you can do internships at Schulich anyway. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WillyLuong WillyLuong
University wise?

Getting a degree from U of T doesn't make too much of a difference than Schulich though.

Both campuses of both universities are pretty bad, but the IC building and the Schulich are pretty new and swanky.

Schulich is also cheaper, but don't forget that you will be payed for Co-op at UTSC, which can be put towards paying back your tuition.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
I wouldn't trust UTSC...It would be like UTM commerce. Something like Rotman v. Schulich would be a valid question to me. Schulich though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii
I don't know anybody personally at UTSC co-op so I can't comment on that.

In terms of Schulich though, as you already know, we don't have co-op. But, we do have summer internships and many of these are not that hard to attain unless we're talking about Sales & Trading, Investment Banking, and Management Consulting. In your first year, it's unlikely that you'll get an internship, but in 2nd year and onwards it's definitely possible.

We always have recruiters coming in, and numerous clubs that give you exposure to different careers. The great thing I see about all of this is that it forces you to network, whether it be with other students, or recruiters. If you don't network, you won't get a job offer.

The majority of the recruiters are from the Big 4, but we do have the banks come in to recruit like CIBC, BMO, and RBC. We also have General Mills and L'Oreal come in to recruit people into marketing. Personally, I think Schulich's greatest exposure is to the accounting field, predominantly in Public Accounting, but we do have CMA sponsored events too. We're slowly moving up in the Finance field too, but at the moment Ivey has the best exposure to that field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@cocoappleli wrote
I know that Schulich definitely has a really good program, but in co-op, you would get a lot of work experience. So I don't know which program is better to go into for Accounting.

Pick Schulich :D
1) You're probably not completely set on accounting, and Schulich gives you the better overall business program along with a kickass accounting reputation.
2) In terms of work experience, Schulich doesn't have co-op because frankly, we're able to find summer internships on our own.
3) University wise, yes, UofT has the bigger name, but the UTSC campus is very different than York or UofT St George. UTSC has a high school feel, whereas York is huge. At the same time, the Schulich community is small and tight knit.
4) Can`t beat Schulich in terms of value :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@viii wrote
I don't know anybody personally at UTSC co-op so I can't comment on that.

In terms of Schulich though, as you already know, we don't have co-op. But, we do have summer internships and many of these are not that hard to attain unless we're talking about Sales & Trading, Investment Banking, and Management Consulting. In your first year, it's unlikely that you'll get an internship, but in 2nd year and onwards it's definitely possible.

We always have recruiters coming in, and numerous clubs that give you exposure to different careers. The great thing I see about all of this is that it forces you to network, whether it be with other students, or recruiters. If you don't network, you won't get a job offer.

The majority of the recruiters are from the Big 4, but we do have the banks come in to recruit like CIBC, BMO, and RBC. We also have General Mills and L'Oreal come in to recruit people into marketing. Personally, I think Schulich's greatest exposure is to the accounting field, predominantly in Public Accounting, but we do have CMA sponsored events too. We're slowly moving up in the Finance field too, but at the moment Ivey has the best exposure to that field.

Is it hard to get an internship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

Pick Schulich :D
1) You're probably not completely set on accounting, and Schulich gives you the better overall business program along with a kickass accounting reputation.
2) In terms of work experience, Schulich doesn't have co-op because frankly, we're able to find summer internships on our own.
3) University wise, yes, UofT has the bigger name, but the UTSC campus is very different than York or UofT St George. UTSC has a high school feel, whereas York is huge. At the same time, the Schulich community is small and tight knit.
4) Can`t beat Schulich in terms of value :p

I know how good Schulich is, but it's just that UofT definitely has the bigger name... and I don't know if companies care about the university or the program more.... I know that in China for example, they care about the rankings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii
Where do you plan on working? If it's in China, Schulich can definitely get you there as well through our exchange opportunities.

Getting an worthwhile internship anywhere isn't easy, but as long as you put in the work ethic to hold an acceptable GPA, attend networking session and be ready to learn you should be able to land one. This is especially true in accounting and marketing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of APartOfMe APartOfMe
Studying your undergraduate at UFT is apparently hell, from what I heard from relatives and friends who are in Co-OP management.

However, it is Co-OP and there are many opportunities to work in several places. You just have to put in the effort to maintain your marks and get a good Co-OP placement :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@viii wrote
Where do you plan on working? If it's in China, Schulich can definitely get you there as well through our exchange opportunities.

Getting an worthwhile internship anywhere isn't easy, but as long as you put in the work ethic to hold an acceptable GPA, attend networking session and be ready to learn you should be able to land one. This is especially true in accounting and marketing.

But then people in China definitely care a lot about universities.... So I don't know if exchange opportunities is going to help...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EspoirSxH EspoirSxH
Coco,as I posted on your fb about my reasonings for picking Schulich over UTSC, I came to Canada 3 years ago from mainland China, the way business works there has changed drastically. As you mentioned, China does value a foreign university's worldwide reputation heavily, however, in China, its about 30% nepotism,50%ability,15%luck/opportunity, and 5%god knows what. The luck and opportunities are the factors that can be partly controlled and engendered by you, the 50% ability includes your internship performance and your overall experience&achivements in the field of business. As for nepotism, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it unless you have some sort of family background. I have this personal expericence because my family has political background, the so called nepotism, which gives me an advantage. However, without my own effort and devotion, nepotism can't get you anywhere. I know you are concerned about York's overall reputation being second/third tier, but keep that in mind that you are about to enter the world of business, and those companies will look at your business graduate school first. You don't need the whole world to know that you are from university of toronto, but you need the business world to know that you are from Schulich. If you want to go back to China to do business, which I intend to do as well, then don't put too much hope and faith in u of t's overall reputation. At the end of the day, the position will be given to those who might have a semi-decent certificate from a soso school, but have strong family background/connections. (this is especially true when it comes to polictis and business)You will have a bigger shot in the Chinese business world by having exceptional internship/working experience from a well-known Business School, if you do not have connetions back there. And in this case, Schulich has a lot more to offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 1