yconic - Science at McGill! And a favour please :)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Science at McGill! And a favour please :)

A photo of Aminamb Aminamb
Hi!

I'm in first-year science at McGill and I live in Gardner Hall, so if you have any questions about what's up first year I can help! This time in Grade 12 is the most stressful time ever.

Also, if you can please please vote for this entry in the TD Go Green Challenge I would really appreciate it!

Here's the link :)
http://www.tdgogreenchallenge.com/video/id/75/playid/75#
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
What kind of science are you doing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Nyx wrote
What kind of science are you doing?

I'm sorry this is so late! I'm trying to major in Neuroscience, if not probably microbiology. First year science courses are all the same though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Leesh1993 Leesh1993
Hi, is English mandatory in the first year @ McGill? I know it may seem like a dumb question but I really want to know. and English isn't mandatory after 1st year right (if its mandatory 1st year)? I'm prob going into neuroscience too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ghana1994 ghana1994
Aminamb,
Hi!
How was the apartment hunt?
During orientation week, do we get help with choosing our classes from the advisors or something?
Also, I got in for Earth and Planetary Sciences. Do you know anyone doing this course? Could you get me in touch with them?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xinzyl xinzyl
Hi there! Do you speak French? Do you do any volunteering work or know anything about such opportunities available in Montreal? What would you say about someone who doesn't know French looking for volunteering? Will it be much harder than for bilinguals?

Sorry if I'm asking too much for a first year student! Good luck in your studies!

Btw, when I click on the link it just takes me to http://www.fef.td.com/gogreen/index.jsp which looks like a main page. So I can't really find where and which to vote for....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockeynut91 hockeynut91

@Leesh1993 wrote
Hi, is English mandatory in the first year @ McGill? I know it may seem like a dumb question but I really want to know. and English isn't mandatory after 1st year right (if its mandatory 1st year)? I'm prob going into neuroscience too.

Nope English isn't mandatory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ghana1994 wrote
Aminamb,
Hi!
How was the apartment hunt?
During orientation week, do we get help with choosing our classes from the advisors or something?
Also, I got in for Earth and Planetary Sciences. Do you know anyone doing this course? Could you get me in touch with them?

You can do it online before/after registration in the summer. If not when you get there you can go see an advisor. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Earth and Planetary Sciences. Although if your going into U0
But check this out, it's straight from the science undergraduate society. ( you'll get it in the mail like in June or something like that but ya haha)
http://www.susmcgill.com/Menu-Services/Absolute_Zero_Guidebook_2010-2011.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@xinzyl wrote
Hi there! Do you speak French? Do you do any volunteering work or know anything about such opportunities available in Montreal? What would you say about someone who doesn't know French looking for volunteering? Will it be much harder than for bilinguals?

Sorry if I'm asking too much for a first year student! Good luck in your studies!

Btw, when I click on the link it just takes me to http://www.fef.td.com/gogreen/index.jsp which looks like a main page. So I can't really find where and which to vote for....

No you don't need to know French, I know how to speak French and never did once! Just think about it, all the Americans come to McGill and have no idea to speak French and they get by just fine hahaa. And there are volunteering opportunities in English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of batman2002 batman2002
How difficult is it to get a high GPA in the McGill Life Sci program. Is it easier than UTSG?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiwifruit11 kiwifruit11
Hello!

Which residence do you think I should apply for if I want a single room, as much quiet as possible, and a meal plan?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi! I just got rejected from Mcgill Science but I got in Mcgill Arts. Do u know if it is possible to transfer from arts to science? what are the requirements needed and what are the chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@kiwifruit11 wrote
Hello!

Which residence do you think I should apply for if I want a single room, as much quiet as possible, and a meal plan?

Thanks!

hey! if you have any other questions feel free to private message me, so that i get an email notification!

ummm ok single room with a meal plan and quiet? i would go with mcconnel or rvc. theyre both pretty quiet and meet the other criteria. OH or prez rez. im not sure if they offer single rooms but if they do go with prez rez. i have never heard a peep from that rez. i found it hard to believe anyone actually lived there.. but have funnnn your first year!!! its very much a once in a lifetime experience!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bluebear93 wrote
Hi! I just got rejected from Mcgill Science but I got in Mcgill Arts. Do u know if it is possible to transfer from arts to science? what are the requirements needed and what are the chances?

hey! private message me if you have any other questions because then ill get an email notification. hahaha though ill try to remember to check back here!

transferring from arts to science is pretty hard. you need to have a cgpa of 3.5 or higher i would say, and you need to take some of the primary science courses (which is risky because if you dont end up transferring youll find yourself with a bunch of random science credits). here is the website that will tell you everything you need

http://www.mcgill.ca/science/sousa/general/transfer/inter/

go to 'What are the minimum requirements for transfer to the B.Sc.?'. it says there that you need a minimum of 3.0 but its pretty competitive. honestly i would suggest working your ass off, getting a 4.0 or close to, and then making the transfer if youre sure thats what you want. also try to transfer into the arts and science program! a lot of people try to make the switch from arts to arts/sci and sci so i heard its quite hard making the switch. but not impossible!!! i would say realistically though, youll want to aim for a 3.7 average-ish. just take some easy arts courses along with your science ones and it shouldnt be bad at all! (go on rate-my-profs to look for easy profs/courses or i can suggest some if youd like!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@bluebear93 wrote

It is possible, but it's not as easy as just going in and asking them for a switch. I remember one guy made a switch from science to management during frosh week, but they only granted him his request because he had a 99% high school average or something. If you didn't make the science cut-off, you won't be able to switch right away. You will probably have to maintain a certain average in first year and complete some science prerequisites.

If you got admission into science at another school, you're better off just going to that school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

does studentforums change the spelling of my words when i swear??? that is so lame. screw (testing)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@Aminamb wrote

@bluebear93 wrote

hey! private message me if you have any other questions because then ill get an email notification. hahaha though ill try to remember to check back here!

transferring from arts to science is pretty hard. you need to have a cgpa of 3.5 or higher i would say, and you need to take some of the primary science courses (which is risky because if you dont end up transferring youll find yourself with a bunch of random science credits). here is the website that will tell you everything you need

http://www.mcgill.ca/science/sousa/general/transfer/inter/

go to 'What are the minimum requirements for transfer to the B.Sc.?'. it says there that you need a minimum of 3.0 but its pretty competitive. honestly i would suggest working your ass off, getting a 4.0 or close to, and then making the transfer if youre sure thats what you want. also try to transfer into the arts and science program! a lot of people try to make the switch from arts to arts/sci and sci so i heard its quite hard making the switch. but not impossible!!! i would say realistically though, youll want to aim for a 3.7 average-ish. just take some easy arts courses along with your science ones and it shouldnt be bad at all! (go on rate-my-profs to look for easy profs/courses or i can suggest some if youd like!)

I should have waited one more minute for the much better/detailed response. lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marky marky
Hello, I'm an Ontario student and I'm stuck between choosing U of T and McGill.

I heard that the class averages at UTSG is 60. Is it the same at McGill?

My main concern is that I got accepted by UTSG back in March & also got an entrance scholarship but I didn't get accepted by McGill until last week, with NO scholarship. So does this mean it's better if I go to U of T? because at U of T I'm around the upper-middle range but if I go to McGill I'm one of the worse students... and if the class average at McGill is also around 60, then I'd be failing..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hapmie hapmie

@marky wrote

My main concern is that I got accepted by UTSG back in March & also got an entrance scholarship but I didn't get accepted by McGill until last week, with NO scholarship. So does this mean it's better if I go to U of T? because at U of T I'm around the upper-middle range but if I go to McGill I'm one of the worse students... and if the class average at McGill is also around 60, then I'd be failing..

Well, it is also relatively hard to get a high GPA if you go to Mcgill. the difference between the two schools is that at Mcgill hard work pays off with an A but at UTSG it not often the case. Please if I may ask, what was your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marky marky

@hapmie wrote

@marky wrote

Well, it is also relatively hard to get a high GPA if you go to Mcgill. the difference between the two schools is that at Mcgill hard work pays off with an A but at UTSG it not often the case. Please if I may ask, what was your average?

My average is 93.. I think I told you in another thread. lol

Why doesn't hard work doesn't pay off at UTSG? Is it like the professor teaches easy stuff in class and then the test doesn't have ANYTHING to do with what he taught and is extremely hard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of batman2002 batman2002

@hapmie wrote

@marky wrote

Hey hapmie, what average GPAs do people get at McGill if they work really hard, do you mind telling me yours and do people manage to have time for extracurriculars?
Was this helpful? Yes 0