yconic - Screwed Up Grade 11 Marks
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Screwed Up Grade 11 Marks

A photo of CalgaryStation6 CalgaryStation6
Hello,

I just got all my finals back and my final averages for grade 11 (first semester). I did terribly. 67% ---- Physics, 68% --- Chem, 65% --- English and I got a 89% in Advanced Placement Math which is my only good mark.

I still passed everything since you need at least a 50% to move on to the 12th grade level of the subject, but I'm immoderately stressed because I don't want to repeat my horribly atrocious performance of the eleventh grade in the year most beneficial to my future.

I don't think I did this poorly because I'm stupid or anything of that manner. I'm just incredibly lazy, I only choose when to try hard, I procrastinate, and I'm heavily distracted by my computer games, iphone, ipod, friends etc. (I think this is a big one)

Is it even within my reach to improve these averages by at least 20% in the 12th grade? I really have pressure on me to go to University by my parents. I don't know why I don't realize my next year is so important.

If there's anyone who was in my position in the eleventh grade and improved in the twelfth grade and got accepted to university, please share with me what were the keys to your success.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator
I'm going to be bitter, but honest.

You are an idiot for getting 60's in your courses and expecting to go to university.

However I'm not here to troll you on your mistakes. Here is what you need to do.

I was in your position in grade 10, I was flunking my classes acheiving a 60-70 % averages,failing a few courses, and expecting to go to top programs. When I failed chemistry I realized I was throwing my entire life away, grade 11 and 12 would be defining my future and if I screwed it up I'd be a disappointment in my family and laughed at by my friends. I decided to retake my chemistry course with the same teacher I took in day school. When I finished the course and handed in my exam, with a 90% going in, my teacher took my outside and told me she was proud that I had turned myself around and that she wanted to see this happen with the rest of my courses. I told her I would and vowed i would never be a bad student again.

Obviously in grade 11 I slacked as usual but was pretty serious as well, I finished grade 11 with 87 average and completed 2 gr 12 courses English 90, and adv func 93) I still screwed up some courses ( physics and media studies).

Now in grade 12 I've worked my ass off. I have 94 average for my 3 applying courses. Now I can actually talk about going to university.

I'm not saying you can just turn everything around and be getting 90+ in courses. I've had to work my ass off for it.

This is what I did:

1. Start studying to today! Not tomorrow, not day after that, not next semester. Today. Right now
2. Do a little bit of studying each day to get used to it. 30-45 mins each subject.
For studying do challenging problems. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH EASY QUESTIONS. do all your homework. If you have questions, ASK!
3. Try and always be motivated. It's hard to always focus, but being motivated helps. My motivation comes from planning on going to med school, and having a respectable career
4. Change is hard, if it wasn't everybody would change. Be in inspired,
5. Try and be friends with smarter people.
6. When your studying. Turn off your cell phone, turn off your computer, don't listen to music while studying. You don't have enough self control for this stuff yet,
When your studying you have to realize you won't start focusing at the start, it typically takes me about 30 mins to start actually focusing and working properly.
7. When you take your 20 min break it doesn't mean go on YouTube, watch a tv show, text your friends, it means get something to eat and walk around, I learnt this the hard way.
8. Be best friends with your textbooks, seriously, it's like a bible. If you learn to use your textbook, it saves you from bad teachers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite
Theres some people on this forum that have gotten 60s then 90s in grade 12.
If you work hard starting now then you'll have no regrets because you KNOW you tried your best. Imagine how terrible you feel if you ended up in some crappy program thinking "why did i waste all my time in high school?!"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@Ozinator wrote
I'm going to be bitter, but honest.

You are an idiot for getting 60's in your courses and expecting to go to university.

However I'm not here to troll you on your mistakes. Here is what you need to do.

I was in your position in grade 10, I was flunking my classes acheiving a 60-70 % averages,failing a few courses, and expecting to go to top programs. When I failed chemistry I realized I was throwing my entire life away, grade 11 and 12 would be defining my future and if I screwed it up I'd be a disappointment in my family and laughed at by my friends. I decided to retake my chemistry course with the same teacher I took in day school. When I finished the course and handed in my exam, with a 90% going in, my teacher took my outside and told me she was proud that I had turned myself around and that she wanted to see this happen with the rest of my courses. I told her I would and vowed i would never be a bad student again.

Obviously in grade 11 I slacked as usual but was pretty serious as well, I finished grade 11 with 87 average and completed 2 gr 12 courses English 90, and adv func 93) I still screwed up some courses ( physics and media studies).

Now in grade 12 I've worked my ass off. I have 94 average for my 3 applying courses. Now I can actually talk about going to university.

I'm not saying you can just turn everything around and be getting 90+ in courses. I've had to work my ass off for it.

This is what I did:

1. Start studying to today! Not tomorrow, not day after that, not next semester. Today. Right now
2. Do a little bit of studying each day to get used to it. 30-45 mins each subject.
For studying do challenging problems. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH EASY QUESTIONS. do all your homework. If you have questions, ASK!
3. Try and always be motivated. It's hard to always focus, but being motivated helps. My motivation comes from planning on going to med school, and having a respectable career
4. Change is hard, if it wasn't everybody would change. Be in inspired,
5. Try and be friends with smarter people.
6. When your studying. Turn off your cell phone, turn off your computer, don't listen to music while studying. You don't have enough self control for this stuff yet,
When your studying you have to realize you won't start focusing at the start, it typically takes me about 30 mins to start actually focusing and working properly.
7. When you take your 20 min break it doesn't mean go on YouTube, watch a tv show, text your friends, it means get something to eat and walk around, I learnt this the hard way.
8. Be best friends with your textbooks, seriously, it's like a bible. If you learn to use your textbook, it saves you from bad teachers.

I bow down to you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PurpleMustang PurpleMustang
First off, ask yourself: do you want to go to university. Even if you manage to bring your marks up to acceptable levels and end up being admitted into university, you are going to have to work really hard. If you're managing to get extremely distracted in grade eleven, to the point where your average is sub-70, I don't know how you're going to survive in university. I've seen a ton of people go from 90s in high school to 50s in university - and they didn't slack off. If you're truly set on university, you need to shape up and focus, or else you won't make it.

That being said, grade eleven marks don't matter for anything other than early acceptance. If you achieve good grades in grade twelve, you will have no problem getting an acceptance to university. However, you need to prioritize. It doesn't seem like education is a top priority for you, and if you want to go to university, it should be. Think about what you truly want and adjust your behaviour in order for you to successfully achieve your goals. Don't be that person who barely gets accepted to university and drops out after six months. You'll waste your time and money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted