yconic - Second Year vs. First Year...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Second Year vs. First Year...

A photo of biosci biosci
Ok so I know the workload/studying method changes but I just did horrible on my midterms. I had 3 of them this week and didn't do too swell. I passed one of the three and just barely passed. I don't know what happened. I mean I didn't do well in first year either...but I thought it gets...better?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
2nd year was my worst year academically of undergrad

3rd year was the best
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12
I'm actually in my second year and I have to say that courses do get harder as you go up.
Here's some insight;

I go to UTSC co-op management and this is my second year. During my first year, students are given tutorials which were really helpful. However, second year courses do not have any tutorials and you will rely much more on self studying and learning rather than T.As.

As for course averages, I noticed that much of the class had averages C to B averages during first and second year courses. You will most likely find that as you take upper year courses, class averages do go up (This isn't mainly because people are getting smarter and smarter but that poor students are just being weeded out of the program and courses).

Now the thing about CGPAs is that even one bad mark can literally bring down your grade point average down by a lot. For example; "Despite getting all my courses above 80%, one 2.3 course brought my CGPA down by 0.07 which will require all 85% (4.0 in all courses) for this semester just to bring 0.07 up. Hence, second year is not only harder in material but also harder to maintain grade point averages. (If you started off lower, it may be easier). I personally don't like my university's gpa scale because there is such a big jump in decimal places for just 1-2% for every interval, ie" 3.3 is 76-79% vs a 3.7 for a 80-85%"

So the main point is, yes courses do get harder because your taking harder courses (logical. Just work hard and continue your improve your studying habits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@biosci wrote
Ok so I know the workload/studying method changes but I just did horrible on my midterms. I had 3 of them this week and didn't do too swell. I passed one of the three and just barely passed. I don't know what happened. I mean I didn't do well in first year either...but I thought it gets...better?

I finished my second year at UWO and it sucked so bad to the point where I'm currently taking a year off to just work.

Academically I didn't do badly in 2nd year, but I started to really dislike what I was doing, so I stepped back for a breather. I've been hearing that 2nd year is the most tedious year in many programs though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111
It's called Sophomore Slump. Although personally I find second year better than first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
Thanks everyone. It's good to know that it's just not me that's having trouble with second year. Hopefully third year is better. I started studying for my midterms 1 week before but with work and school it's tough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0