yconic - Seeking for advice. Which uni should I go?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Seeking for advice. Which uni should I go?

A photo of JunLim JunLim
Hi, I would like to seek advices and opinions about UBC, U of A, and McGill. I have applied for the engineering program and I don't know which university is the better choice. U of A has offered me a scholarship award, UBC has a nice environment and a higher ranking and McGill has the highest ranking but to be able to work part-time, I have to know French, which I don't. I also don't know much about the environment in Quebec. Also, as an international student, I have to apply twice for study permit - one from the federal government, 2nd from the Quebec government. I like the atmosphere in Vancouver - sunny with the beaches and all. But I'm just not sure if I should choose that over which is the better school. Hopefully someone can advice on my choices. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
I wouldn't worry too much about their reputations; they're all good schools.

It sounds like UBC's your best option, even though you didn't give a whole lot of information on what you're looking for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bluesharpies Bluesharpies
What Zion said.

Picking between UBC and McGill is really just splitting hairs - both are fairly reputable.
That being said, it's obvious that UBC would be a better option given what you've told us.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JunLim JunLim
Thanks for the advices. Both universities want me to accept their offers by June 1st and the thing is, for UBC, as long as I maintain an average of above 67%, I'll get admitted. But if I accept McGill instead, I'm a bit worried that my average will drop and my offer will be revoked. Alberta diploma seems really hard and my final marks will most probably drop. That point aside, I don't know which city's cost of living is higher and which university provides a better engineering program. But I guess they both offer an equally good program, from what I hear. Also, which university will give a better opportunity for co-op programs and jobs after graduation? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan
I think UBC its a really good school and you will find a lot of work oppourtunity in Vancouver because it is a big multicultural city
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@JunLim wrote
Thanks for the advices. Both universities want me to accept their offers by June 1st and the thing is, for UBC, as long as I maintain an average of above 67%, I'll get admitted. But if I accept McGill instead, I'm a bit worried that my average will drop and my offer will be revoked. Alberta diploma seems really hard and my final marks will most probably drop. That point aside, I don't know which city's cost of living is higher and which university provides a better engineering program. But I guess they both offer an equally good program, from what I hear. Also, which university will give a better opportunity for co-op programs and jobs after graduation? Thanks.

Vancouver is pretty expensive, Montreal's pretty cheap, and Edmonton's in the middle. It will be difficult to find work in Montreal if you don't speak French, and I believe UBC's engineering program is the best of the three.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati
Based on global rankings for engineering programs, McGill and UBC are about equal. Also depends on what area of engineering you hope to pursue. McGill is renowned for Aerospace while UBC is huge in Renewable Energy Technology. Your decision should ultimately be based on personal preferences (i.e.: campus environment, cost, etc.).
Was this helpful? Yes 0