yconic - Set on Social Sciences but I don't know which specific field
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Set on Social Sciences but I don't know which specific field

A photo of englishbuff englishbuff
All of the universities offer detailed information on specific courses on their websites, I would start there. I'm pre-med, but I have a friend who's going to try for law school. Most schools don't require specific majors or prerequisites, but courses like management or criminal justice would better prepare you for your LSAT and graduate courses. Take what's interesting to you though, you'll do better in a course you really care about :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of LeeVenasse LeeVenasse
All of the universities offer detailed information on specific courses on their websites, I would start there. I'm pre-med, but I have a friend who's going to try for law school. Most schools don't require specific majors or prerequisites, but courses like management or criminal justice would better prepare you for your LSAT and graduate courses. Take what's interesting to you though, you'll do better in a course you really care about :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
I one day want to become a family law lawyer, but that's 4 years away after my undergraduate. Maybe I will change my mind, maybe not, but I would choose a degree that can fall back on something else. I'm passionate about social change so I am majoring next year in social work at York and if I no longer want to become a lawyer, I could still get my master's in social work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
While Political Science is a great degree to lead you into Law School, some people major in:

Philosophy (Ethics, morals, etc.)
Psychology
Criminology
Sociology
International Relations (Helpful if you want to be an international lawyer/diplomat)
English (Argument, writing, rhetoric - also there will be a lot of paper work for law)
History
Economics
A Modern Language (Again, helpful for an international stance)
Latin American/Middle Eastern/European/East Asian studies (International again)
Women and Gender Studies (Civil rights)

You can even study bio or any other science and maths and still go into Law.
A family friend of mine studied pre-med and is going to Law to become a lawyer for medical malpractice.

Law has a huge spectrum, so figure out what "Type" of law you want to get into, and then choose your major.

The thing is, don't feel compelled to study Pre-law if you really want to study something else, like International Relations. You will end up not doing well, and for a career as competitive as Law, you need to show both passion and good grades (+ LSAT score).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@englishbuff wrote
My ultimate goal is to be a lawyer and for undergraduate studies, I know that you are not limited to choose a major relating to law at all but most people major in a field of political science and such. I have been researching into poli. sci. recently and even thought I have had classes related to government and politics and i find them interesting, but the program descriptions for poli. sci. in a lot of universities seem a bit dull. There isn't really a politics and government intensive course at my school until grade 12 so I don't have a huge amount of exposure to it and what exactly we learn.
I am leaning towards economics or maybe the public affairs and policy management @ carelton U.
I'm confused and I'm wondering if anyone here can reccomend anything to spark my interest or give some in-depth descriptions on social science programs that would prepare one for law school (pratices logical thinking and analytical abilities)
I am set on social sciences fyi.
thanks in advance.

I was going to major in Political Science until I took the first year intro course. It is an extremely dry and boring field and not a useful degree major-wise. Major in something that you find interesting so you can get better marks for law school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@Respects wrote

@englishbuff wrote
My ultimate goal is to be a lawyer and for undergraduate studies, I know that you are not limited to choose a major relating to law at all but most people major in a field of political science and such. I have been researching into poli. sci. recently and even thought I have had classes related to government and politics and i find them interesting, but the program descriptions for poli. sci. in a lot of universities seem a bit dull. There isn't really a politics and government intensive course at my school until grade 12 so I don't have a huge amount of exposure to it and what exactly we learn.
I am leaning towards economics or maybe the public affairs and policy management @ carelton U.
I'm confused and I'm wondering if anyone here can reccomend anything to spark my interest or give some in-depth descriptions on social science programs that would prepare one for law school (pratices logical thinking and analytical abilities)
thanks in advance.

I was going to major in Political Science until I took the first year intro course. It is an extremely dry and boring field and not a useful degree major-wise. Major in something that you find interesting so you can get better marks for law school.

Well if you aren't interested in politics obviously you're going to find it dull.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@OscarUK wrote

@Respects wrote

@englishbuff wrote
thanks in advance.

Well if you aren't interested in politics obviously you're going to find it dull.

I never said that. I'm pretty interested in politics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen

@Respects wrote

@OscarUK wrote

@Respects wrote

@englishbuff wrote
thanks in advance.

I never said that. I'm pretty interested in politics.

Could of been a crappy prof/teacher. As you go through university a lot of the same material will come up over and over again... and it will become more obvious that some profs just suck at teaching (which is easy to gauge if you have learned something already).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@englishbuff wrote
thanks in advance.

To be honest.. if you would like real advice on becoming a lawyer than this is probably not the best place. Most of the people here are high school/early university students. Youll get much better responses here: http://lawstudents.ca/

Ill save you some time though, theyll just tell you to do something you like. There is absolutely no advantage in taking pre-law, criminal justice, legal studies, etc. Also, your major will not dictate what fields you can and cannot do. The one exception to that probably being IP (Intellectual property) law where you usually need a technical background.

Law school is all about your GPA + LSAT. If I could pick a degree specifically for law though it would be philosophy. Unfortunately, one of the worst job prospects if you dont go to law school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of englishbuff englishbuff
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate it.

@AgriGen wrote

To be honest.. if you would like real advice on becoming a lawyer than this is probably not the best place. Most of the people here are high school/early university students. Youll get much better responses here: http://lawstudents.ca/

Ill save you some time though, theyll just tell you to do something you like. There is absolutely no advantage in taking pre-law, criminal justice, legal studies, etc. Also, your major will not dictate what fields you can and cannot do. The one exception to that probably being IP (Intellectual property) law where you usually need a technical background.

Law school is all about your GPA + LSAT. If I could pick a degree specifically for law though it would be philosophy. Unfortunately, one of the worst job prospects if you dont go to law school.

haha, I like philosophy okay but the thought of majoring in it and having a large crop of my uni. courses philosophy oriented doesn't sound appealing to me..
I just don't want to be stuck in a major and waste time in something I don't like and what you're saying is absolutely right and I've been on that site before as well + I have a friend who is going to law school & she said the 'do what you like' LOL
thanks ! x

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Fair enough.. required courses will be roughly half your university courses or more at a lot of universities.

You might also be interested in a liberal arts degree... beware though it is looked down on by a lot of people.. but I think it depends on the individual.
Was this helpful? Yes 0