yconic - Shad Valley, Explore etc.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Shad Valley, Explore etc.

A photo of kyczevag kyczevag
So, do these programs really help to prep you for uni ? Are uni's really impressed when they see them on your record ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Well, I am doing Explore to improve my French. I want to improve my French because I love studying French and because it will open more doors. Having it on a resume also wouldn't hurt.

There are also scholarships specific to Shad Valley grads, by the way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyczevag kyczevag
Yeah, I'm planning on applying to both this year. And, I'd be so happy if I got accepted into either.
I'm kinda having trouble getting my mom to see the value in these programs though. She doesn't see how much I could gain from these experiences.
Thats the reason why I asked the original question.
To her, personal growth is nice and all, but unless a program can really help me get into uni, then she doesn't think its worth the money.
I've told her about the experiences themselves, the benefits,and the success stories. But, nope. Nothing.
So, now what?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kyczevag wrote
Yeah, I'm planning on applying to both this year. And, I'd be so happy if I got accepted into either.
I'm kinda having trouble getting my mom to see the value in these programs though. She doesn't see how much I could gain from these experiences.
Thats the reason why I asked the original question.
To her, personal growth is nice and all, but unless a program can really help me get into uni, then she doesn't think its worth the money.
I've told her about the experiences themselves, the benefits,and the success stories. But, nope. Nothing.
So, now what?

Well, normally universities in Canada only look at marks for admissions, not ECs.

What you could tell your mom:
Shad Valley:
You will be eligible for scholarships specific to Shad grads. It is also a great resume booster (so it could help you with other prestigious scholarships).

Explore:
Being able to say that you've down Explore would boost your resume and scholarship apps. Being able to speak French would boost your resume and scholarship apps.

Explore is also free if you get a bursary.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of myrakhan myrakhan
Does the Explore program help one's French skills substantially? Or is it all dependent on where you get place, and other factors? Or is it once you're out of the environment you forget everything?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@myrakhan wrote
Does the Explore program help one's French skills substantially? Or is it all dependent on where you get place, and other factors? Or is it once you're out of the environment you forget everything?

I haven't gone yet, so I couldn't tell you any personal stories.
As for my friends that have gone, Explore had a lasting impact on their French.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of strawberrt strawberrt
The Shad experience sounds so exciting though! One of my friends went and she had a blast.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Depending on the place/program you pick for Explore, you can also earn credits for university.
Certain programs through Explore do offer credits, so tell your mom that. ;)
I know of a few people who have gone on Explore and they loved it!
I was thinking of applying, but I really don't have the time for it this summer, but it's definitely worth it!
They give you a bursary so everything is paid for, except spending money and your plane/train ticket.. so you'd only have to spend a few hundreds to learn French.. that one skill will last your a lifetime on its own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
I did Explore last summer in Jonquiere! It was alot of fun. And it really helped me improve my communication skills. Even though you can't get a high school credit from it (at least in Ontario), I can tell it was beneficial because my speaking skills and my confidence to use my French is alot better than it was before Explore. You should really apply for it, you won't regret it. It's also good practice for living in res and fending for yourself lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0