yconic - Share your effective study methods
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Share your effective study methods

A photo of Untitled Untitled
What study methods work best for you? Share them here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
48 replies

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@Untitled wrote

Immerse yourself in what you are learning; don't just look at books as a concrete wall of text.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
It really depends on the subject and the teacher. However, I always split up my study time into different days.

ie. Test is on Friday
Sunday - 2 hours studying
Monday - 2 hours studying
Tuesday - 2 hours studying
Wednesday - 3-4 hours studying
Thursday - 5-6 hours studying

ie. For subjects..
English - Read over the novel, review handout, write short essay related to the book
Math/Physics - Redo every question for the unit in the textbook, ask teacher for extra practice sheets
Law - Memorize and study A LOT
Every business course - common sense, no need to study
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxalyssa xxalyssa
Everyone has their own learning style, so you just need to find yours somehow.

However when it comes to subjects like math, chemistry and physics, learning by doing is the most effective way of studying. So always do the homework and practice practice all of the questions, but make sure you understand why you're doing it- don't just memorize, and so that it almost becomes second nature.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
I use the Cornell method of taking notes. Keywords and definitions on the left third of the page, actual notes on the remaining two thirds, and a summary on the bottom. I find it more effective than just writing down what the teacher or the textbook says. Also, I see people highlight they deem important in handouts, which usually adds up to 70-80%, which strikes me as very wasteful. I just underline what I feel is the most important, which is usually 10-15%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64

@Untitled wrote

Pay attention in class, ace tests. Rinse. Repeat.

Does anyone else feel like they do better when they don't take notes because they can focus on actually understanding what's being said and not just memorizing it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@Yaroslav64 wrote

@Untitled wrote

Does anyone else feel like they do better when they don't take notes because they can focus on actually understanding what's being said and not just memorizing it.

Yep, I write very little for notes, I pay a lot of attention in class. This results in me not ever really having to study hard core like Rela since I learn it as they teach and it sticks in my head better. Also, always ask questions.

" ie. Test is on Friday
Thursday - 5-6 hours studying "

That is just crazy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Yatesb wrote

@Yaroslav64 wrote

@Untitled wrote

Yep, I write very little for notes, I pay a lot of attention in class. This results in me not ever really having to study hard core like Rela since I learn it as they teach and it sticks in my head better. Also, always ask questions.

" ie. Test is on Friday
Thursday - 5-6 hours studying "

That is just crazy.

Paying attention is like the best advice ever. Theres no point of just writing notes down while daydreaming. Instead of blaming the teacher for crappy notes, use all of your senses when youre listening to the lesson : )

Definitely always ask questions! Funny thing - I was cramming for a Calc Final a few weeks ago and I literally forgot like half the course. So I went through my notes and looked for all the weird/more difficult questions and I kept asking my prof "should I look at this?" and whenever he said yes... I did... and all the questions he told me to look @ were on the final and I got a 90s on the exam XD so yes, asking questions gets you a better area of what to focus studying on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
Just my style of studying, I'm already used to it. I come from a hardworking family, therefore I've been keeping the family tradition and pride myself on hard work. If I'm going to take a course, why not put my full effort into it? I pay attention in class also, but I always end up disappointed in myself if I get lower than a 95. I may be special but I'm never bored of studying, I get that feeling of happiness knowing my hard work pays off which I completely love. Just find something that motivates you, and make that goal keep you going. Anyways, it all depends on the person, I've had no problem maintaining a 99% average these past years using this method.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran

@Rela wrote
It really depends on the subject and the teacher. However, I always split up my study time into different days.

ie. Test is on Friday

Trollolololol

@Rela wrote

ie. For subjects..
English - Read over the novel, review handout, write short essay related to the book
Math/Physics - Redo every question for the unit in the textbook, ask teacher for extra practice sheets

Amen.
Pay attention. Do Homework. Re-do homework. Make review sheet. Study with/tutor a friend. I'm ready!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
I always review material before hand, at the first week of the semester when the teacher doesn't really taech anything yet. I'll skim through the book and try and find things I think I'll have trouble with. If I have time I'll go over the sample problems and try to understand it on my own. That way I can prepare myself for the actual course.

Another method that really works is studying intensely. Make yourself want to know the material, then study when you are well rested. An hour or two of understanding the problems on your own is more effective than hours of disinterested memorization. If you ever have extra time, like on a bus while walking, think through the process of solving the problem. And finally, when you think you understand it well enough, teach it to someone else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Just pay attention in class. If you know your basic mathematical skills, it's easy to derive any equation or analyse any problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate....... cram, cram, CRAM
^That's usually how I do it lol :P

But yeah, definitely pay attention in class. And study efficiently, if you know you're good at something, don't waste time studying that. Don't study around distractions and make sure you're well rested for the test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@Impasse wrote
procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate....... cram, cram, CRAM
^That's usually how I do it lol :P

But yeah, definitely pay attention in class. And study efficiently, if you know you're good at something, don't waste time studying that. Don't study around distractions and make sure you're well rested for the test.

LOL yes Impasse and I have very similar studying habits :P Certainly procrastinate (I have a test tmrw that I haven't started studying for), CRAM (A LOT OF CRAMMING), but most importantly pay attention in class. I'm the type of person that has to write notes cuz I have bad memory so I need something solid to review the night before a test, but definitely keep your ears open and pay attention to what the teacher is saying while you take down notes. THE most important thing is not to study near distractions, such as the student awards forums :brilsmurf
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@Rela wrote

ie. Test is on Friday

Is this a joke
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@prmly wrote

@Rela wrote

ie. Test is on Friday

Is this a joke

I think he/she is serious. I know a couple kids who are hardcore studiers like that. I don't know how they do it, or why.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freebird freebird
No all nighters. People do it, but they're generally not the ones that do well. Instead, keep up with the material presented in lectures (summarize, do problems, etc). I like to know every single detail of the material, so when it comes to actually studying, for memory courses the best way for me is to go through lectures and recall each slide without looking, talking out loud if possible. If there are a lot of similar words/ideas then I make up random mnemonics and draw pictures. Then if I have time I like to go through the lectures with someone, asking each other questions.

I've also tried writing a massive list of vocab, cutting them up, and putting them in a plastic bag. Then I can pick random words and write down everything I can think of about it, and make connections between various sections of the course. That works well but takes a long time. It's kind of the equivalent of flash cards I guess.

This website (and the books) has a lot of good info:
http://calnewport.com/blog/
I haven't managed to minimize my studying as much as he has, but the autopilot schedule has been really helpful, among other things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Galactical Galactical

@Rela wrote
Just my style of studying, I'm already used to it. I come from a hardworking family, therefore I've been keeping the family tradition and pride myself on hard work. If I'm going to take a course, why not put my full effort into it? I pay attention in class also, but I always end up disappointed in myself if I get lower than a 95. I may be special but I'm never bored of studying, I get that feeling of happiness knowing my hard work pays off which I completely love. Just find something that motivates you, and make that goal keep you going. Anyways, it all depends on the person, I've had no problem maintaining a 99% average these past years using this method.

stop trolling...the real sad truth is that when your marks are in the mid 90s, the only thing that determines whether you get higher (or lower) is luck, more specifically luck in getting good and easy teachers.. what is the point of reptitively doing something you know already? i think you have memory problems rela and you are certainly not gifted..

im a procrastinator :D, i copy notes in class but i have no trouble figuring it out all by myself afterwards. not bragging :) im just a frigging genius
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@Rela wrote

ie. Test is on Friday

ie. For subjects..

I love how people think this is considered hard core. Good luck in university everyone.

*(It is a bit hardcore for a high school test though).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of russellgmadden russellgmadden
I'm in university (A little bit over half finished my program), and I have to agree with Galactical.
My cumulative avg is low-mid 90's, as far as tests go - getting anything from a 90-100% on tests really does come down to luck and rediculous typos really.
The reason my average isn't in the mid-high 90's is because I'm doing Marine Engineering Technology, so a number of my courses are in work shops. So stuff like welding, machine shop, fitting, machine maintenance - they're much more difficult to get "high" marks in because there's no absolute answers.
Real life things, like thermal expansion for example, can affect your workpeice. You measure it to the 0.001th of an inch and after it cools down it drops a couple thou and some marks are lost for accuracy! Haha it's funny, but it's all good because shops are awesome.

Stuff like Math, Thermo, Strength of Materials, Mechanics, Fluid dynamics, Eng Graphics...all that crap has absolute answers so they're easy to get high 90 to 100%'s in.

I just pay attention in class, try to activly listen, and do the assignments.
That way when exam time comes along I understand everything and only have to look over everything.
I maybe study about 2 hours a week. Then come exam time maybe about ~2 hours per exam depending on the difficulty of that exam.

Paying true attention in class is the key to doing well as far as I'm concerned.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@JNBirDy wrote

@Rela wrote

ie. Test is on Friday

ie. For subjects..

I love how people think this is considered hard core. Good luck in university everyone.

I have no doubt in university studying like that is required. But that person was talking about highschool. If you need to study like that to do well in highschool, then come university you'll have to study twice as hard/long. Highschool is NOT hard and you should not need to study 20 hours a week for a test/exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aeria Aeria

@Yatesb wrote

@JNBirDy wrote

@Rela wrote

ie. Test is on Friday

ie. For subjects..

I have no doubt in university studying like that is required. But that person was talking about highschool. If you need to study like that to do well in highschool, then come university you'll have to study twice as hard/long. Highschool is NOT hard and you should not need to study 20 hours a week for a test/exam.

greed. I can maintain a 99 average but with studying 1/3 rd of that time and even with that I don't consider myself effective. If you take that long to study for a HS test, how long will it take in university when there's 10x as much the work?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
You people don't get it. It's not the problem about needing to study, I love studying. It keeps me entertained while maintaining a good educational "position". I've been studying like this ever since I was in grade 5. I didn't study more or less then than I did now. In addition to that, with my family's expectations, I am in no position to risk my future due to slacking off. My father is an architect, my mom is a doctor and my sisters work at huge firms, such as AIG. My family values hard work, and I don't want to come off as a failure to my family. My parents got to these positions without any money and came from a poor family, my dad worked 2 jobs while studying just to become an architect. I am now provided this opportunity by my parents without all the pain they had to go through, I just don't want to take this opportunity for granted.

Galactical stated before that getting 95%+ all comes to luck, this is only true to a certain extent. It is true that there is very little room for mistake, but easy teachers? That is just pure bullshit. It doesn't matter if you have easy teachers who inflate your marks, it just increases the chances of succeeding. I've gotten high 90s in classes where the average were 60%-70%. It all comes down to hard work, effort and understanding of the curriculum's material. If you work hard and put effort, it pays off. If I'm going to spend 3/4 of the year in school, why not put effort and use your maximum potential?

Btw: Yes, I am Asian. You have no idea how much stress I go through every single day...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deepanshu7016 deepanshu7016

@Rela wrote

ie. Test is on Friday

ie. For subjects..

Dear don't u have anything else 2 do????????
if anybody asks me den i would prefer just repeat with ur classes...
No test or exam can bother u even the surprise ones as we have in india
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
In university the best thing I ever did was get a recorder.

In a three hour lecture you're bound to miss something, get distracted, hand cramp, etc.

This way I write down very little, more of an outline of the lecture. I also pay attention the things that the professor repeats or when they mention a certain page in the textbook or article.

Then I can listen to the lecture anytime after the fact and transcribe what I need along with reviewing any notes or slides the prof actually posted themselves.

The most important thing is university is readings though. Don't consider them optional or even recommended they are mandatory and very necessary.

Do them all before class, take notes, write down your questions, think about what you don't understand or what could use an example. Prof's want to answer those kinds of questions and like it when student are actively involved, and they'll be that much more likely to help you out with exam prep later in the semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0