yconic - Shoppaholic Confessions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Shoppaholic Confessions

A photo of Beach244 Beach244
Once being a shoppaholic I know how it feels to be out of control with money. Most people have that one thing or a few things that they cannot pass up such as clothes, shoes etc. I thought that I would never get rid of this terrible habit, although I looked stylish... I was just wasting away my money and I really regret it now. At first it was hard not spending money on these things that once tempted me alot, after a few times it became easier and now I realize there are more important things in life than clothes, shoes, bags and makeup... whodathunk it! haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0
44 replies

A photo of AshleyElliott AshleyElliott
hahahahaha , i totally have this problem right now .. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Qq Qq
You sound like a York girl, if you're a male I'll throw a facepalm in your honor
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KhuloodI KhuloodI
Well I am typically in the same situation right now, I spend my paycheck the moment I get it, + I spend my parents money! CANT STOP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I like to save my money in the bank and dream of all the big things I can do with it later. I splurge on vacations where I work and learn at the same time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Love2travel Love2travel
Haha I think my "Shopaholic Syndrome" was magnified while Xmas shopping this year. There is so much stuff to buy out there! It's pretty hard not to be materialistic at times. However, I'll always want things badly and purchase them- then, about a week later, I realize that I have something much more important to save up for such as tuition or textbooks for university- and I end up feeling like a total idiot. I made a budget yesterday, finally..it lays out monthly limits for what I can spend on different things: clothes, dinners out with friends, movies, yoga classes..I guess you can't completely wipe the fun out of your life, but setting limits is a good idea. And, as you get better at restraining your shopaholic tendencies, you can increase these limits. The little things like clothes and shoes aren't as great as a trip to Italy or a new car: things you could save up for in the long run!
Also, here's a trick you've probably heard before: Rather than using your debit or credit cards to make purchases, try to use cash instead. When you use cards, it's easy to overlook how much you're actually spending. But with cash, you get a better idea of it. If you're handing the cashier six $20 bills, you'll know you're off limits. With a card, it's just "Swipe and forget!"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rockbaby rockbaby
This is so me so I have made a list of places and things I will not shop for or at for six months (unless I need it for example I am out of body wash I'll get more at BABW)
I have told myself that if I buy something without just cause I will put however much it was towards school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aino Aino

@KhuloodI wrote
Well I am typically in the same situation right now, I spend my paycheck the moment I get it, + I spend my parents money! CANT STOP.

This is me, without the parents money thing.
My parent's don't give me money.
I have two jobs and I spend each paycheck so fast... and I have three credit cards.
Only one has stuff on it though... I can be so tempted to max out them all sometimes... D:
I wish I knew how to save.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mcgonip mcgonip
Omg same as me! I love to shop esp for shoes!!! if anyone has any tips on how I could save more instead of spend it would be greatly appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I am currently unemployed and have no source of income. Therefore, I'm a window-shopaholic. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@kraken wrote
I am currently unemployed and have no source of income. Therefore, I'm a window-shopaholic. :cheers:

like x100 :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bkuntz bkuntz
Well one thing that you can do to stop this is to make a budget and keep it. But also before you buy something, ask yourself: do I really need this? I used to be so bad with money but now that I know what I both want and need I never spend money randomly anymore.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NDelorme NDelorme
For anyone who is looking for some excellent financial tips, try reading the Wealthy Barber, by David Chilton. I hate the topic of finances because to me, there are a lot of terms and it all jumbles into a confusing mess. This book explains it clearly and carefully, and it's easy to understand even if you don't even have very basic financial knowledge. It reads like a story so it's not like a dry textbook unnecessarily full of financial terms. One of the most valuable books I've ever read!

http://www.amazon.ca/Wealthy-Barber-Successful-Financial-Planning/dp/0773762167
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kono Kono
I always try to use cash rather than my debit card. I find when Iuse my debit card I go over my limit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steph1 steph1
It can be really hard sometimes to decide what you need and what you just want really bad. A good way to do it is to really think about if you need the item. LIke if you have 5 sweaters you might not really need another. Also, it is hard to cut shopping out completely so try planning something like "I will only spend $100 dollars every 2 weeks". That way you still get to shop but aren't blowing all your money. It also gives you a goal to work towards which is always a positive thing.
Also a good way to reach your goal is to pay for it in cash, when your cash is gone you are done shopping for this time and arent tempted to buy one more thing cause you have the money on your credit card or debit card.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
just give you debit card to your parents/best friends and tell them never to let you touch it unless it's an emergency.. and i don't mean a shopping emergency...
:colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of linds007 linds007
I confess i'm a shopaholic. I've had a lot of problems the last year controlling my habits. It's not for clothes or shoes but entertainment. Books, TV show DVDs, movies. I also have a shopping addiction when it comes to my pets. They get the best of everything. They're more spoiled than I am. There goes my school budget
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jomie jomie
Yeah when I was working about full time when I was in high school I was like that. I haven't worked in a couple years and I'm in make up school now, so most of my shopping can go under the premise that it's for my business/education though. But it's hard to save up when I have to keep buying new things for every module we start. But budgeting is definitely key, and I'm always looking for ways to save money as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 72393 72393
I know how you feel! AHHH! I'm going to europe in 3 months and trying to save but I just can't! :( And i defintly need new outfits for europe, don't cha think? ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Ikenna Ikenna
Being broke has a way of avoiding problems like these.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of garnet garnet
I'm a shopaholic when it comes to books, movies, and arts and craft supplies. Mind you, I'm also a bargain bin shopper. So it almost evens out, or it would if I could get rid of the idea that if I'm paying less for one thing, then I can buy something else as well. I've been solving this by not shopping at all when I don't have to, because once my eye lands on something I want, it's hard for me to just walk away. The key is, though, is if it's just a "want" item. I'll stand and think about whether something is actually a "need" item before I buy it, or at least a "really, really, REALLY want" item. (un)Fortunately, my hot-shop items rarely fall within either of those two categories.
Another solution I find helpful is to go out shopping without any money on me at all. If I see something I like and don't have the money to pay for it, then I know by the time I get home to my wallet whether it's worth another trip out to get it. If I'm not willing to go out again and get it, I didn't really want it that bad after all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of twiggins twiggins
okay totes my problem too, accept i think i may hav semi- got it under control, minus shoes, you can NEVER have enough.
but i was wondering for presants for family and friends what do you think the limit should be , or what are some cheap buys tht they will really like? i mean they know i am trying to save up but i cant help buying them nice things...

please recomendyour cheap but amazing idea's :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emblyn emblyn
I spend too much money on frivolous things that I don't really need. I really need to limit my spending; my wallet will thank me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentLeader StudentLeader
Being broke has it's disadvantages :P ,
but if you stop and think about it , you'll realize that life is more than just brand name clothes , shoes ect.. you can do so much more without spending a fortune on a name ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0