yconic - Should I appeal my grade?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I appeal my grade?

A photo of sammich sammich
Hey guys, I need a second opinion. So my final report for my enviro class was just handed back and the TA said that my essay was good and worth an A, but I didn't use in-text citations so it's considered plagiarism even though I handed in my bibliography. I was deducted marks (given a 72) but at least I didn't get a zero. Should I appeal my mark though? I'm not sure if I'm in the wrong because I should have used citations. To be fair, it was my first university report and we weren't given a rubric. When asked, he said we our sources didn't even have to be scholarly. The thing is, I need a 90 average to keep my scholarship up and this essay was worth a lot so it'll definitely bring my class mark down. What should I do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of petarpoparacrni petarpoparacrni
Appeal if it won't have carry any negative effect on your mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
don't appeal, you might get your ass handed to you in the form of a pencil
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@arcchit wrote
don't appeal, you might get your ass handed to you in the form of a pencil

+1

They gave you a break by letting you pass and not taking you up on plagiarism charges. If you try and appeal it they will fight back.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
If you believe (aka are certain) that you have CORRECTLY and ACCURATELY referenced all your sources (whether these be footnotes, or a detailed and cross referenced bibliography) then I would appeal it, unless of course the guidelines to which you are writing specifically state you require in text citations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Don't appeal. It will be a lesson learned. Don't make the same mistake again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@OscarUK wrote
If you believe (aka are certain) that you have CORRECTLY and ACCURATELY referenced all your sources (whether these be footnotes, or a detailed and cross referenced bibliography) then I would appeal it, unless of course the guidelines to which you are writing specifically state you require in text citations.

We weren't given any guidelines really. The assignment page had examples of topics and length requirements, that's it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for all the input :) I chose not to appeal it
Was this helpful? Yes 0