yconic - should I choose UTM Life Science ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

should I choose UTM Life Science ?

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
Hi

So I'm considering going to UTM life science (I've already got my acceptance). The only thing is, is UTM a good choice for students who AREN'T commuting? I live in Toronto, but I would have to live in res first year. So is it "worth" it?

Thanks!!:bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of flonightingale14 flonightingale14

@chiqua99 wrote
Hi

So I'm considering going to UTM life science (I've already got my acceptance). The only thing is, is UTM a good choice for students who AREN'T commuting? I live in Toronto, but I would have to live in res first year. So is it "worth" it?

Thanks!!:bball:

I think you can commute to UTM if you live in Toronto.

Just take the 1C Dundas bus (Mississauga Transit) from Islington station and it'll take you straight to campus. The real question is how far do you live from Islington station?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
Thanks for the quick reply!

I know I can commute from Mississauga to Toronto. I don't live THAT far from Islington station. It's just that it might be hard to commute everyday (it will probably take a hour and a half) and to maintain a solid academic performance too. It's easier for my parents if I go for residence for first year.

Is it expensive or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of despairless despairless

@chiqua99 wrote

I know I can commute from Mississauga to Toronto. I don't live THAT far from Islington station. It's just that it might be hard to commute everyday (it will probably take a hour and a half) and to maintain a solid academic performance too. It's easier for my parents if I go for residence for first year.

I'm from Mississauga and my parents commute to Toronto everyday for work. They buy a monthly Go-Train pass thing. It's about $200 a month so if you use it almost everyday, it's not too bad. It takes around 25 minutes from Islington station to UTM and 25 minutes back.
Did you apply to Life Science at UofT by any chance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flonightingale14 flonightingale14

@chiqua99 wrote

For UTM students, you need your T-card and U-pass to board on the Mississauga transit. So, transportation in Mississauga is free for you. Then, you still need a metropass or a way to pay the fare for using the TTC.

There's also an express bus that runs from UTM to Islington which can make commute shorter as well.

It depends on you. I know friends who don't mind the commute and still do well in school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of larissa42 larissa42
i strongly recommend you don't sign up for res at utm. i live in mississauga, and i know the area where utm is and its very isolated in terms of walking distance. so unless you plan on bringing a car, you will be doing a lot of commuting anyway. res is very expensive because only single rooms are available (i think its around 6000? not sure), and i have some friends who go to utm, they say the party scene is pretty nonexistent (then again, they commute as well). although i love my town, there really isn't much of a night scene unless you wanna take a 15 min bus ride to square one and shop or something lol. but yeah, thats just my opinion, toronto is close anyway, and you'll get used to commuting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0