yconic - Should I do my provincial exams?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I do my provincial exams?

A photo of Justin Justin
So I am getting 95% in both biology 12 and physics 12 and I was wondering if it was worth doing their corresponding provincial exams. I know I will not get 95% on the biology 12 one but I might be able to get 86% (lack of studying). I heard that UBC and other universities will only look at either your class mark or your blended mark between the class mark and your provincial result. So is this true? If so I will likely take them.

In fact I noticed that my provincial exam marks will be on my transcript so... Won't universities see it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of prmly prmly
English is the only provincial exam required to graduate, therefore it is the only provincial exam required for all universities in Canada. They look at your blended mark if you take the provincial and they look at your class mark if you don't, but I could be wrong.

Take the provincial exams if you want to be considered for the scholarships that come along with it. If not, don't take them. They're worth 40% of your final grade and you could mess up. It's not worth it, in my opinion.

Although, if your class mark isn't so great and you feel confident you can bring up your grade by doing the provincial, then by all means, take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
It depends where you plan on applying to/have applied to for university.
If you're staying in the province, then you have nothing to lose.
Even if it does show up on your transcript, BC universities/colleges will ONLY look at it IF it INCREASES your mark. If it doesn't, they will only take your class mark.

If you're planning on applying to places outside of the province, that's a different story.
I can't speak for all other universities, but I know that almost all, if not all, eastern universities will take the blended mark regardless of whether it increases or decreases your mark.
Same goes with Alberta.

I'm pretty sure it's only in BC that they will only use your blended mark if it increases your overall mark.
Look on the particular university's website, it's all on there.

On a side note, if you take 3.. or 4 (dont remember).. provincials and you get an A on all 3, that's an automatic $1,000 for post-secondary! Pretty sure English counts as one of them too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
You need to get 86% on at least 3 provincials for the $1000, and over some other value on English 12. I think it's 70%, but I'm not sure.

If you have 95% in the course, you need 97.5% on the final to raise your overall mark to 96%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512

@cyynthiia wrote

If you're planning on applying to places outside of the province, that's a different story.
I can't speak for all other universities, but I know that almost all, if not all, eastern universities will take the blended mark regardless of whether it increases or decreases your mark.
Same goes with Alberta.

Actually, most, if not all universities will take the higher of either your in class mark or your blended mark. Thus, it is more beneficial to write the provincials.

However, if you do poorly, that does show up on your transcript, and it could have subconscious influence.

You can do google searches on your specific universities for more details.
Was this helpful? Yes 0