yconic - Should I drop Gr. 12 French?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I drop Gr. 12 French?

A photo of brady23 brady23
Is there a point taking Grade 12 French if I'm still not fluent. I can write really well in French, and I am somewhat able to understand someone if they use simple vocabulary, but I am not fluent in it.

Even if I get the core french certificate, is it useless if I am not fluent? Should I drop the course? I'm getting an 83.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Don't drop it. It's still useful and looks good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
It was one of my fav. grade 12 courses in high school. Take it :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meine Meine
Even if you're not fluent, you should probably still take it if you can at least read and somewhat understand what someone else is saying. If not being fluent in french is really an issue, you could always watch some french movies and even talk to yourself out loud in french. As weird as it sounds, it actually helps though you may not be able to notice the subtle changes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc
I'm in grade 11 with the same question except for immersion. People tell me it's just one course to get your immersion certificate so just do it... It won't affect my average at all (not top 6), it might just affect my scholarship stuff... D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was in the same boat. I suggest stick with it, it looks good on resumes and applications and you may want to pick it up later on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc

@brady23 wrote
Is there a point taking Grade 12 French if I'm still not fluent. I can write really well in French, and I am somewhat able to understand someone if they use simple vocabulary, but I am not fluent in it.

Even if I get the core french certificate, is it useless if I am not fluent? Should I drop the course? I'm getting an 83.

Lol it's funny I can speak french perfectly fine, understand what someone says when they talk to me, I'm just terrible at writing :/ I think I'm going to take it, it just sucks because I'm in a catholic school so I'm obligated to take English, French, Religion, and then for Bio at uni, Function, Biology, Chemistry, sometimes Physics, sometimes, Cal... SO if I want to take my fun exercise science course I will have 8 courses and never get to experience a spare (I'm taking english in summer school reach ahead) This probably didn't help you sry :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0