yconic - Should I drop Physics?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I drop Physics?

A photo of Slates77 Slates77
Hey I'm applying for computer science at UofT, Waterloo and probably Macmaster or another school. I am currently taking 7 courses and it says physics isn't a prerequisite. I have a new teacher and am not doing great (73). So should I drop it or should i keep it just for some background knowledge in case in comes in handy later?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Computer science (read: math) won't require any physics at all. All the stuff you learn in even grade 12 physics doesn't require anything beyond grade 11 university math.

If you are sure about going into computer science and sticking with it, then yes. Physics is a waste of time for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cowtron45 cowtron45
Whatever you do, DO NOT DROP PHYSICS! Physics pertains too all real life situations and is definetely useful within all courses that involve math. Although you may not need the background, the practice with using equations, re-arranging formulas and the overall basics of using advanced mathematics will always come in handy down the road. So my opinion, do not drop physics!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

@cowtron45 wrote
Although you may not need the background, the practice with using equations, re-arranging formulas and the overall basics of using advanced mathematics will always come in handy down the road. So my opinion, do not drop physics!!

This is why it's a waste of time.
High school physics DOES NOT use advanced mathematics - it uses grade 11 mathematics.
High school physics does NOT give you much practice rearranging equations - you get more practice taking grade 12 math and calculus.

If you're dead set on computer science, then you don't need physics. Only do it if you're good at it, because then it'll just be a good grade that raises your average.

Was this helpful? Yes 0