yconic - Should I Drop Summer School English?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I Drop Summer School English?

A photo of coldplay coldplay
I'm currently taking grade 12 english, and I'm don't know if I should drop the course or not.
So far, we've had spelling tests (very childish), I've gotten perfect on all 6 of them...and then we had a paragraph to write and I got a 90 on it...and then we wrote an essay which I got 80 on...we also have hw checks which I'm doing fine it, and will be the bulk in our mark update...We had a test and I got 69% on...and we're about to do a seminar and an in-class written essay on midterm week...And after that, we're doing King Lear multiple choice tests, where the teacher takes the best 2 out of the 5 we write...and the culminating is 15% in class essay and 15% 22 multiple choice test...

The teacher is legit a crazy hard marker, he gets upset at little things like if we don't write all the way to the end of a page and stuff like that...I know for a fact he's going to be hard on the seminar and I honestly don't have the needed motivation!

At this point, I think I'll be ending up with a low 80 in the course, and I don't want that, I want a 90+ which is obviously not happening, so then my goal is a high 80...I don't know if I should try for the high 80 (I don't have motivation right now though) or just drop the course and do it in day school and get the mark I actually want (but there's no guarantee to this). We get out mark update this Monday and the last day to drop the course is Thursday. If I do drop the course, I think i'll regret it during day school, cause in the same semester as Eng I have Bio, Chem and Calculus! But then again, English is the first thing unis look at, and getting a 80 in summer school is going to affect my top 6 average!
HEEELP!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
It honestly depends on how confident you are in your own English skills. If you think your teacher is giving you marks that you think should be way better, obviously drop the course. If you aren't pretty damn positive that you'll do better in day school, it might not be worth the risk. Ask around about the English teacher you're getting next year, cause it seems like you know your schedule already. Everyone I ask also wants a 90+ in English, but I don't really see why. A 90+ in English should honestly be reserved to very talented and/or hard-working students, and the way its going right now seems like people think that 90+ is standard. I've hardly heard of anyone actually getting a 90+ in grade 12 English, class averages are usually closer to the 70 mark.

Your lowest mark is the test, which presumably you could've done better on with an increase in studying and reviewing, unless you flunked the essay/written portion. If you are seriously bummed out and know you won't do well on the seminar, you should probably drop out. The seminar is likely the vast majority of your oral mark, and doing poorly on it will affect you. Same with the essay, probably a significant portion. The multiple choice tests will definitely be a mark booster though, best 2 out of 5 is incredibly generous and with appropriate studying, ~95 on the top 2 should be attainable.

Personally, I'm taking summer school right now, and with my predicted grade 12 averages, I can theoretically have a decent shot at getting in the programs I'm apply for. English and Math have always been my highest marks, but I'm actually putting English as my lowest predicted mark (right down there with physics and chemistry) because its so subjective. The fact that I've done well in the past three years doesn't really mean much, a teacher that doesn't like my writing can give me a 70 anytime.

Honestly I think you're doing fine, and its still definitely possible to achieve that high 80, or even 90. Just try to make your assignments according to your teacher's tastes (flawless in those picky areas and what not), and try your best. Either way, you should definitely wait till your mark updates before dropping. You can even ask for your midterm mark on Wednesday if possible, just so you have enough time to drop if needed. Good luck though, English is a pain.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of coldplay coldplay

@jelly wrote
It honestly depends on how confident you are in your own English skills. If you think your teacher is giving you marks that you think should be way better, obviously drop the course. If you aren't pretty damn positive that you'll do better in day school, it might not be worth the risk. Ask around about the English teacher you're getting next year, cause it seems like you know your schedule already. Everyone I ask also wants a 90+ in English, but I don't really see why. A 90+ in English should honestly be reserved to very talented and/or hard-working students, and the way its going right now seems like people think that 90+ is standard. I've hardly heard of anyone actually getting a 90+ in grade 12 English, class averages are usually closer to the 70 mark.

Your lowest mark is the test, which presumably you could've done better on with an increase in studying and reviewing, unless you flunked the essay/written portion. If you are seriously bummed out and know you won't do well on the seminar, you should probably drop out. The seminar is likely the vast majority of your oral mark, and doing poorly on it will affect you. Same with the essay, probably a significant portion. The multiple choice tests will definitely be a mark booster though, best 2 out of 5 is incredibly generous and with appropriate studying, ~95 on the top 2 should be attainable.

Personally, I'm taking summer school right now, and with my predicted grade 12 averages, I can theoretically have a decent shot at getting in the programs I'm apply for. English and Math have always been my highest marks, but I'm actually putting English as my lowest predicted mark (right down there with physics and chemistry) because its so subjective. The fact that I've done well in the past three years doesn't really mean much, a teacher that doesn't like my writing can give me a 70 anytime.

Honestly I think you're doing fine, and its still definitely possible to achieve that high 80, or even 90. Just try to make your assignments according to your teacher's tastes (flawless in those picky areas and what not), and try your best. Either way, you should definitely wait till your mark updates before dropping. You can even ask for your midterm mark on Wednesday if possible, just so you have enough time to drop if needed. Good luck though, English is a pain.

The test I didn't do well on was a test on an essay we got to look at the day before for 20 minutes...He said the summative test worth 15% wouldn't be as bad as this test. I mean, he's a hard marker because he's preparing us for uni which is good, but, I'd kind of rather get a higher mark to get into uni then have to get a low mark while being prepared for uni in a short span of time. At this point, I feel like I either do the course to get it done with or drop out, have a hard time with managing other subjects but get a good grade. I guess I should just be serious and try my best and stick it out. Thanks for your reply, it really helped!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of d0nut d0nut
Dude, can I just tell you that you are my FREAKING TWIN?!?!?!!?!?! I posted the EXACT SAME question a couple of weeks ago (please go ahead and check, this is too freaky!!!) and I ended up dropping it. But I find it so STRANGE that we both have bio, chem, english AND calc all in one semester!!
Trust me, I was in your shoes. My teacher was insane and I decided (after consulting all of my family and friends..haha) that there really is no point in wasting your summer and working your butt off for only an 80%... really!
I, too, want a 90 or higher for english because it's one of my prerequisites, unfortunately, and there was no way I would get a 90 in summer school! So long story short, my advice is to:
QUIT SUMMER SCHOOL
LOOK INTO ONLINE NIGHT SCHOOL OR PLAIN OLD NIGHT SCHOOL (optional....if you can't handle all of those sciences and math and english in one semester)
STICK WITH DOING ENGLISH IN REGULAR SCHOOL

I still can't get over how you are like a replica of me.... But now you know that you're not alone! Take care :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0