yconic - Should I go to the DECA Internationals?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I go to the DECA Internationals?

A photo of EdwardZ EdwardZ
So here is the situation, I made it to this year's DECA internationals through the DECA Stock Market Game (ranking 3rd regionally), lol.
I would like to go, but the cost is like $1.5k, which is a lot if you think about it, when the airline ticket of a round trip to the contest location (Salt Lake City) would only cost you $300 max and the accommodation would only take you $400 (we will be living in a quadruple room).

It is a good chance to practice and learn, but since all of the supplementary applications for universities are due before we can actually compete in the internationals, I can't really put anything on my applications, would universities keep track of it? and also do you think is worth going?

Thank you in advance!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of PrettyWoman PrettyWoman
If you have never been to ICDC, then I say you should go! It's an incredible experience and you meet a lot of new people.
And I'm sure your school would cover some of the expenses? If not, DECA usually reimburses you (last year we received about $200 after ICDC)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EdwardZ EdwardZ

@PrettyWoman wrote
If you have never been to ICDC, then I say you should go! It's an incredible experience and you meet a lot of new people.
And I'm sure your school would cover some of the expenses? If not, DECA usually reimburses you (last year we received about $200 after ICDC)

Thanks prettywoman, I am sure it will be an incredible experience for me and I would definitely consider going! =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
Conversely, I would recommend not going. I know this isn't a strong argument, but after going to ICDC back in grade 9, I still have to pay off more than $700 owed to my grandparents. It's a great financial commitment with networking/competitive experiences you can similarly garner at your university next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0