yconic - Should I go to York University?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I go to York University?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Transfer student into criminology
Was this helpful? Yes 0
38 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Then you'll need to work hard. There's no magic 3.9 GPA university
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela

@ktel wrote
Then you'll need to work hard. There's no magic 3.9 GPA university

+1

A lot of people are doing this at my school, even people with high 90 averages with hopes of getting into Ivy Leagues for med school, law school, etc. However, as ktel said, you still need to work hard in order to maintain a high GPA no matter what school you go to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johneidude johneidude
Realize that doing well in HS!= doing well in University. Especially if you are from a public Canadian HS, well the difficulty in the HS and a Canadian Uni are night and day. To do well in public school, one does not really have to exert any effort (or any significant effort), grades in the schools are way over inflated. Anyway, you cant expect to go in with a 90% now and expect to get the same grades in Uni. In order to do well in Uni, you have to work hard, and you need to be intelligent. There are many people in my school for example, who came in with 90+ averages, but who, at the end of first year, either dropped out, or were doing poorly (UBC Sauder, average entrance grade was 93%). Anyway, you cant expect to do well, if you are doing well in HS now, that does not mean you will do well in Uni. If you are doing poorly in HS, that does not mean you will do poorly in Uni. You will need to work hard, no matter what Uni you go to, and chances are, unless if you sacrifice a lot of things (social life, ec's) then you wont get there without extreme hard work (3.9 being 90+, which is hard to attain, only 1-5 people in a class of say 600 get above a 90%)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen
Its good that your thinking ahead but there is a major flaw in your thinking...

Schools can be hard for different reasons. I switched from bba from uoft to arts at waterloo. So I went from a good program to a fairly weak program. Passing courses is easier at waterloo.. getting good grades is actually harder because the quality of teaching/testing makes it so.

1) People teaching classes who dont speak english very well (dont get me wrong they are brilliant people. just not very good speakers unfortunately)
2) Tests will loads of mistakes (youll get the short end of the stick here)
3) Assignments/tests that poorly reflect the material
4) Really boring teachers or teachers who cant teach in general
5) TAs that vary greatly in marking.. not a lot of checks and balances
6) Handing back assignments months after they were submitted
7) Etc..

Uoft is hard because of the workload/expectations.. but they are rigorous in a good way sometimes. For people who want really good grades it might be to their advantage this way. Also.. dont quote me on this as I havnt looked at the policies for some years but osgoode will look at best 2 of 4 years GPA and uoft will look at best 3 of 4 years gpa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Your GPA depends on you, not your school. Glhf.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel

@Lawstudent1 wrote
Yes, my friends at York all have a much easier workload than me.

Well I'll be interested to hear what you say if you actually do go to York. I really don't believe what anybody says about their workload. People either like to over exaggerate and say it's so hard and difficult, or under exaggerate and say they get great marks with no work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen

@Lawstudent1 wrote
I'm not in h.s. I'm a first year student finishing up at Queens with around a 3.6 GPA and am transferring to save money and a more desirable program. I'm just wondering if I should go to York for a higher GPA or another university in Toronto. Yes, my friends at York all have a much easier workload than me.

I switched from uoft to uw to get higher marks for law school as well. I even applied for york but didnt finish the application. It didnt work out for me.. I am not going to law school... though thats partly because I decided I didnt want to go to law school. I am glad I went to waterloo because if I went to york I would been in a terrible situation now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jschiralli jschiralli

@Lawstudent1 wrote
Anyone know what GPA I need for criminology? I already got accepted into law & society.

are you talking about the york undergrad criminology program? if so, i recently got accepted with an 88% average and i have a friend who got accepted with an 85%. good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyop Tyop
You shouldn't attend York or pursue a certain degree based upon a belief that it may be 'easier' to attain a high GPA for graduate studies, rather consider the best fit for you over the next four years. A 3.7+ GPA isn't the only requirement for law school, many quality schools require a superior LSAT score (165+). In my opinion, you should make your decision based upon fit rather than marks as there are numerous different factors that will affect your goal of earning admissions into a top law school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
Interesting. I'm going to Brock biomed for the same reason. I've heard from two med students at UofT SG med school that the best thing to do is have an easy undergrad because med schools don't care even one bit of your undergrad. They both got accepted and have recommended to me a smaller and less known university like Brock.

Idk for sure yet, but I have a strong chance of going there now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ I think you have a strong chance of listening to whatever anyone tells you :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Even at Trent it's very common to see people drop from a 90+ average in high school to a 3.0-ish GPA or worse. Don't consider the school in terms of ease or difficulty - consider it on the basis of if you feel like the environment at the school would be conducive to your learning. If so, then go there - you're more likely to succeed at a school where that's true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BrunoMars wrote
Interesting. I'm going to Brock biomed for the same reason. I've heard from two med students at UofT SG med school that the best thing to do is have an easy undergrad because med schools don't care even one bit of your undergrad. They both got accepted and have recommended to me a smaller and less known university like Brock.

I went to U of T because 3 students from my high school came back and told me that U of T is really easy and I'll get a 4.0 GPA while playing 5 hours of Starcraft II every day. I believed them because all three of them are now in good graduate schools: One is at Harvard, one is at Berkeley, and one is at UWash St. Louis. The three of them are also masters league SC2 players.

It turned out that they were right and U of T is really easy so maybe you should consider U of T.

PS: I'm also a masters league SCII player now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Xiaohaha wrote

@BrunoMars wrote

I went to U of T because 3 students from my high school came back and told me that U of T is really easy and I'll get a 4.0 GPA while playing 5 hours of Starcraft II every day. I believed them because all three of them are now in good graduate schools: One is at Harvard, one is at Berkeley, and one is at UWash St. Louis. The three of them are also masters league SC2 players.

It turned out that they were right and U of T is really easy so maybe you should consider U of T.

PS: I'm also a masters league SCII player now!

I do not feel obliged to believe you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of picottj001 picottj001

@johneidude wrote
Realize that doing well in HS!= doing well in University. Especially if you are from a public Canadian HS, well the difficulty in the HS and a Canadian Uni are night and day. To do well in public school, one does not really have to exert any effort (or any significant effort), grades in the schools are way over inflated. Anyway, you cant expect to go in with a 90% now and expect to get the same grades in Uni. In order to do well in Uni, you have to work hard, and you need to be intelligent. There are many people in my school for example, who came in with 90+ averages, but who, at the end of first year, either dropped out, or were doing poorly (UBC Sauder, average entrance grade was 93%). Anyway, you cant expect to do well, if you are doing well in HS now, that does not mean you will do well in Uni. If you are doing poorly in HS, that does not mean you will do poorly in Uni. You will need to work hard, no matter what Uni you go to, and chances are, unless if you sacrifice a lot of things (social life, ec's) then you wont get there without extreme hard work (3.9 being 90+, which is hard to attain, only 1-5 people in a class of say 600 get above a 90%)

HAHA "A whole lot of Ivy League Schools, UCLA, and UCB." Their acceptance rates often fluctuate around 7%. This means that 93% of applicants get rejected. :!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

Well it's one thing when one person says it, and it's another when 20 people say it...
Plus, I'm preferring a smaller school over a larger one. It's better there in many senses, such as less competition, smaller class sizes, etc...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of StephSee StephSee
York is easy as hell-- I go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Lawstudent1 wrote

@BrunoMars wrote

@ktel wrote

Well it's one thing when one person says it, and it's another when 20 people say it...
Plus, I'm preferring a smaller school over a larger one. It's better there in many senses, such as less competition, smaller class sizes, etc...

Bruno you've created many many threads where you just feared going to a hard school and getting low marks. Your fear is valid. Clear your mind right now, go to the uni you want to go to and stay focused if you want to get into grad school. I recommend the easier uni too. Screw all the critics.

Thank you for being the one person who doesn't think I'm an idiot. Idc about critics, all I care about is med school. Nothing else is my concern. I hope you become a lawyer dude!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kchojna kchojna
I'm a transfer student from Queen's to York as well :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kchojna kchojna
Nope! I'm just finishing up my first year here at Queen's and then attending york in Fall 2012.
Was this helpful? Yes 0