yconic - should i take biology 12 next year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

should i take biology 12 next year?

A photo of mmousee mmousee
im having a few issues with course selections/my timetable next year and im just wondering if biology is important to go into engineering.

anyone recommend that i should take it?

thanks in advanced. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Hug Hug
Biology is not really important for engineering but i would recommend u to take it if u dont have anything else to take
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of busterkomo busterkomo
Don't take it. It will be more a hindrance than a help. Whereas engineering focuses on the concepts behind something, biology is primarily memorization.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Since you need chem for engineering, taking bio wouldn't be a bad thing considering the first half of bio is organic chemistry (which would be an overlap with chem).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
depends on which program you plan to apply for, and whether they have a bio course or not. i.e. engsci first year 2nd term has a system bio course. they claim that you don't need any previous bio knownledge... sure... they just go thru what you go thru doing your full 3 years of highschool bio in less than a month. a million concepts and terms that you would have never heard of have you never taken bio, all stuffed into your brain in this short period of time. often the lectures do not contain enough explanatory materials and you'd have to do more research on your own if you truly want to understand a particular sujbect. i.e. transcription/translation/replication was covered in 1 single lecture.

being in system bio in first year engsci right now i'm very greatful that i took gr12 bio... yes many are dying.

but then again, if your program doesn't have a bio course, feel free to not take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DOV94 DOV94
It depends on a number of factors, but the main factor would be what you are planning to do after highschool, and if it is required. For example, while looking into electrical engineering at Ryerson, I discovered that you need English, Physics, Chemistry, and then one of four other courses, Biology being one of them.
All I have to say is do a little research. If it's not needed, don't take it if you don't want to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
It is not needed for any engineering program. even if you do a specialization in biotech or something.. you can just take it in uni. its not really worth taking since its not even a bird course. unless you find it interesting. the only thing i found interesting from HS bio was genetics... which is only taught in Gr 11.. boo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mmousee mmousee

@Aleck wrote
depends on which program you plan to apply for, and whether they have a bio course or not. i.e. engsci first year 2nd term has a system bio course. they claim that you don't need any previous bio knownledge... sure... they just go thru what you go thru doing your full 3 years of highschool bio in less than a month. a million concepts and terms that you would have never heard of have you never taken bio, all stuffed into your brain in this short period of time. often the lectures do not contain enough explanatory materials and you'd have to do more research on your own if you truly want to understand a particular sujbect. i.e. transcription/translation/replication was covered in 1 single lecture.

being in system bio in first year engsci right now i'm very greatful that i took gr12 bio... yes many are dying.

but then again, if your program doesn't have a bio course, feel free to not take it.

what about chemical engineering? i looked over what courses i had to take in that program and some were "Engineering Biology" and a handful of other electives (and few compulsory courses) with the prefix "bio-" in them. would you suggest me taking bio during night school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingLime KingLime
You should take Bio 12 just because it is awesome. It's a great course if your curious and like to know about how things work (i.e. your body).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of specter73 specter73
i had a free period in both semesters of gr12 so i took bio11 &12, after a couple weeks of bio11 i dropped bio12, i hated it. its nothing like math chem or physics, which are the classes i needed for engineering
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nakhuda93 nakhuda93
I'm taking bio simply because I like science in general, and I already have a drafting course so there's not really much else I can take that is interesting or would help my average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Does anyone know if highschool bio is really all that important for the MCAT? Like if you don't take any bio in high school, would you still be able to study for your MCATs by yourself (assuming you go into a major without any bio) and still do well? Maybe I'm on the wrong forum but I think falls under the topic :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@iliketurtles wrote
Does anyone know if highschool bio is really all that important for the MCAT? Like if you don't take any bio in high school, would you still be able to study for your MCATs by yourself (assuming you go into a major without any bio) and still do well? Maybe I'm on the wrong forum but I think falls under the topic :P

Well, it doesn't, but I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

The MCATs test on higher level stuff than grade 12 biology. Grade 12 would be a prerequisite for getting into these courses, I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0