yconic - Should I take Law as an Undergrad. if I want to go to Law School?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I take Law as an Undergrad. if I want to go to Law School?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Original discussion held here.

Continue discussion :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

Interesting that a lot of people in that thread said 'no' to taking law as an undergrad. Considering that's what I applied for...

Oh well. It is the only program I am really interested in anyways besides French, and I am definitely not majoring in French. I honestly couldn't think of majoring in anything else but law as an undergrad. Law is the only program I'm truly passionate about so I guess I will ignore what the others said in the previous discussion. It's what I want to do so no one can really sway my decision on it now especially when I've been accepted already to Carleton & UOttawa.

Seems like from the previous post you are the only one who agrees with me, considering your major is law.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
It's restrictive. That's why I'm against it. However, as long as you maintain a high GPA and continue to have an interest in law school, go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
I'm not against it, but you have three years to study law after graduating anyways. I would rather spend my undergrad pursuing my interests and getting a better outside perspective instead of spending a full seven years studying law.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@HeroOfCanton wrote
I'm not against it, but you have three years to study law after graduating anyways. I would rather spend my undergrad pursuing my interests and getting a better outside perspective instead of spending a full seven years studying law.

My interest is law, with a minor interest in politics and some other related aspects (hence the degree choice).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx

@ARMY101 wrote

@HeroOfCanton wrote

My interest is law, with a minor interest in politics and some other related aspects (hence the degree choice).

Army, are you off to law school next year?

EDIT: If so, which one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Respects wrote
I smile and shrug my shoulders with confidence at those you stare at me in disbelief when I tell them of the prospective undergrad law/political science degree I'll be going into next fall with my 90+ average.

What?...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@xXxUfacStorAxXx wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@HeroOfCanton wrote

Army, are you off to law school next year?

EDIT: If so, which one?

I hope so. I applied to Western, Queens, and Ottawa, but haven't received an admissions decision yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@Respects wrote
I smile and shrug my shoulders with confidence at those you stare at me in disbelief when I tell them of the prospective undergrad law/political science degree I'll be going into next fall with my 90+ average.

What's wrong with going into poli sci/law w/ a 90......
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah

@Nyx wrote

@Respects wrote

Yeah, I have 95 + and I'm considering poli sci and law...(as for now, I'm in grade 11, though)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaloolah wrote

@Nyx wrote

@Respects wrote

Yeah, I have 95 + and I'm considering poli sci and law...(as for now, I'm in grade 11, though)

Yeah, but you're also blind to reality. Book knowledge only gets you so far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@kaloolah wrote

@Nyx wrote

@Respects wrote

I`m sorry, Army. You don`t know me at all. We`ve disagreed on two separate things so far; the workload for teachers and various issues pertaining to sexual abuse and gender differences. I am not any more blind to reality than the typical teenager, and perhaps I actually have a greater insight to the real world than the average teen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaloolah wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@kaloolah wrote

@Nyx wrote

@Respects wrote

I`m sorry, Army. You don`t know me at all. We`ve disagreed on two separate things so far; the workload for teachers and various issues pertaining to sexual abuse and gender differences. I am not any more blind to reality than the typical teenager, and perhaps I actually have a greater insight to the real world than the average teen.

And why do you think that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
I hear you can make pretty damn good money with poli sci :bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
If you become Prime Minister.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
As far as liberal arts majors go, political science is fairly strong, next to only philosophy and international relations.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of myrakhan myrakhan
As a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo, Arts and Business Co-op program, majoring in legal studies I have to say I LOVE my major. I did pick that major because I intended to (and still do intend to) apply to law school. But it's also what I like. If you have something else you're interested in but still want to keep law school an option then DO IT. Law schools want diversity. I read something a while back about American law schools and prelaw students were the least desirable for them. They especially want students with science and engineering backgrounds. But at the end of the day it really is about getting the highest marks and highest LSAT score possible to get into law school, if that's all you're worried about. If you're also concerned about actually having a good time and learning something then do what you want for undergrad!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@kaloolah wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@kaloolah wrote

@Nyx wrote

@Respects wrote

And why do you think that?

Some thoughts:

*note that I said that "perhaps I have a greater insight.." *

I have my future pretty well planned out, unlike many other teens. I set very high goals and standards for myself. I spend a lot of my time practicing flute, and all of my hard work has paid off. I read the newspaper and several blogs every day, and I'm pretty well read in general. I'm also bilingual. I volunteer whenever possible. I have a good sense of value and money. My family is pretty well off, but I go to a really rough/poor high school. I might be a typical middle class teen, but I'm surrounded by some pretty sketchy characters. You learn how to react in interesting situations at my school. I've lost a lot of family members due to drunk driving, and one has been in and out of jail for drugs and other offenses. One of my best friends is an addict.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of knight123 knight123
Poli science is a good option as a major since it helps you explore ideas about people who influenced worldwide justice systems.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apack1 apack1
I think that you are interested in Law, then learn about it in school! Especially if you want to go to Law school, you should get to know your subject of interest as much as possible... A nice route to go is Criminology. Its interdisciplinary so you take a mix of courses such as psychology, sociology and yes, law.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wangee wangee
Double Major=D
Was this helpful? Yes 0