yconic - Should I take Physics in Grade 11?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I take Physics in Grade 11?

A photo of superstarbaby16 superstarbaby16
Okay, I want to major in Biology or Biomedical Science and you only need two sciences. I'm really good at Bio and Chem but I don't know if I will do well in Physics because I'm not good in Math. :/
I want to go to Medical School as well. Should I take Grade 11 and 12 Physics? I don't want my average to go down because I wasn't good in the subject but if I need it then I will try my best to get the best grade.
What do you guys think?
Thanks in Advance for answering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Fatima94 Fatima94
Honestly, you don't really know how good (...or bad) you are in physics because grade 9 and 10 science tend to ignore it with the exception of learning electricity in grade 9 and possibly optics in grade 10 (if your teacher doesn't rush teaching it).

Anyway, generally your physics and math marks should be within a few percentage points of each other, but I've seen cases of people with math marks in the 60s and physics marks in the 80s or people with math marks in the 90s and physics marks in the 70s.

So, my recommendation would be to take it in grade 11 (unless you're absolutely terrible in math) and see whether or not you like it.

And no, physics is not a requirement for most biology-related university courses, but depending on which university you go to, you might have to take it in your first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ps3fanboy25 ps3fanboy25
Hey, so last year in Grade 11 I took all 3 sciences. I am really good in Chem and Bio too, and I knew Physics is very math oriented. I did so bad in the first few weeks of the course, because you are expected to have a firm understanding of a lot of the mathematical aspects of the course. I was trying really hard but I knew I was going to fail so I dropped out a month into the course and joined a new course and got an amazing grade :)

It's not an easy course, maybe you could try it but if you feel as though you are weak in math I don't really recommend it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ACAV ACAV
My suggestion is definitely to take it. It is true that physics does include math, however the math involved is usually much more simple than the math you do in math class. In grade 11 and 12 physics you'll run into algebra most of the time, nothing too difficult. The most difficult part of physics is understanding what they are asking and how to answer the question CORRECTLY.
If you plan on taking the MCAT, which you have to take to get into Medical School then I would really suggest you take both grade 11 and 12 physics. This is because the MCAT has first year unviersity physics level material on it. Grade 11 and 12 physics, depending on the teaching, will help you be ready for this course. As said by my grade 12 chemistry teacher, "I'm going to make this class really hard now when your school is free compared to $6,000 next year". So it is probably better to take it when you aren't paying for school compared to when you are paying a lot.
Basically you can't just say it will bring my GPA down so I shouldn't take it. If you are going to try and go into medical school you are going to have to teach yourself physics sometime before then. You retain more information the more you repeat it. Having a firm background from grade 11 and 12 physics will help you in the long run. I personally haven't learned too much new information and have gone over a lot of the material I have already seen in the grade 11 and 12.
There are the special cases where people don't even take any science courses (at least in the university level) and take the MCAT and are accepted to medical school. You are still responsible for the material required.
Best of luck on the decision.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Undergraduate student at Dalhousie University - Science
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thay Thay
I second what most people are saying above. My friend is really good at bio, chem and math however she managed to get a 53 at midterm in grade 11 physics but pulled it up to a 70% by final, which is horrible considering the type of person that she is.

My suggestion like others said would be to try it out if you realize it is too much around the first week or so, switch to another course. Especially if you are looking to get especially well marks in grade 11, for early acceptance.

Most Bio/Science related courses in uni do nor require physics, although you might learn it in a first year course

My sister was doing health sciences but switched to life sciences at UofT and she only has taken 1 physics course in here 3 years of study in uni.... plus she did not take grade 11 or 12 physics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
It's worth taking it in grade 11 so then you at least have some basis if you decide to take physics in university.

My own experience: I took grade 11 (summer school) physics, didn't take grade 12 physics and then decided to take 1st year physics (geared for people without gr 12 physics) as an elective. I did fine in the course, thought it would help me in preparation for the MCAT. It didn't, I had to teach myself/relearn everything anyway, plus the physics that you're expected to know on MCAT is beyond the level of 1st year physics. My friends in 2nd year chem eng hadn't even learned some of the stuff I was teaching myself at that point. Same goes for organic chem, I took orgo in 2nd year hoping it would help me for the MCAT. Once again, it didn't. This is way off topic by but bottom line: don't take certain courses (that you're not good at and will drag down your GPA) for the sole purpose of helping you for the MCAT because you're better off taking a prep course or teaching yourself the material from a prep book when the time comes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amandeepsaharan amandeepsaharan

@superstarbaby16 wrote
Okay, I want to major in Biology or Biomedical Science and you only need two sciences. I'm really good at Bio and Chem but I don't know if I will do well in Physics because I'm not good in Math. :/
I want to go to Medical School as well. Should I take Grade 11 and 12 Physics? I don't want my average to go down because I wasn't good in the subject but if I need it then I will try my best to get the best grade.
What do you guys think?
Thanks in Advance for answering.

Most science programs will make you take physics in university, which is quite similar to grade 12 physics. Many often have taken grade 12 physics and thus the class is easy for them. However, some have not taken it and find it difficult. However, there are some that have never taken it and find it a piece of cake! I have a friend who hates math but loves physics, you might me one of those people. You never know ! You might just end up loving it. You also state that you would like to attend medical school, well, on the MCAT, there are portions where you will have to do some physics on it (first year university physics.)The decision is yours, are you more worried about your high school average coming down (the average that does not count for your dream of medical school) or are you more worried about worrying and bringing your GPA down (which will count for medical school.) Just remember that what ever you choose (medical school, dental school etc...) you will always need to have a back-up because these schools are extremely competitive.

Was this helpful? Yes 0