yconic - Should I Victory Lap?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Should I Victory Lap?

A photo of FionatheArchitect FionatheArchitect
I'm torn on whether I should stay behind a year of high school. My marks at alright as of now (Mid 80s), but the program that I want to go into - University of Waterloo for Architecture- is really competitive. They only accept 75 people a year, eek!

I'm a year younger for my grade. So I shouldbe in grade 11, but I'm a grade higher. Math and physics aren't my forte, so I was thinking of staying behind a year to catch up.

Should I stay behind? Or should I take the chance of applying for UW even though my chances are slim. My back ups for Uni are Carelton for architecture and UofT for Arts/ Architecture. However, I don't really want to go to those programs, my goal is UW, and one day establish my own architectural firm.

I'd really appreciate your opinion. I know this all comes down to me, but for those who are more experienced, please comment! Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Can't you just apply and find out if you get accepted or not before deciding if you need a victory lap?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Pretty sure mid-80s are competitive. Acceptances are more based on the portfolio/precis/interview I believe. Or so I've heard. Good luck, I'm applying as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12
To be honest, I think you'll be fine with mid 80s for that program but it also depends on your portfolio and past works as well. I mean it's better to try it out and see if you get accepted or not (Think logically; Spend $30 for one application which potentially has a win-win situation or spend another year and then going through this entire process again). I also assume that your not just applying for one architecture program?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alirezatr alirezatr
Don't refuse to apply just cause you think you're not competitive. The application process isn't all about your marks, as it also includes what you do outside of the classroom.

If you do end up applying (make sure you do!) and don't get in, then I would recommend doing a victory lap. If Waterloo Architecture is your goal and you think you will be most successful in that program, then the extra year will be worth it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Waterloo is apparently stingy about repeat grades. They say they take off marks.
UT does not consider repeated grades.
Up to you. Take your chances with what you have, or repeat grades (and you'd better get 100% in each class) so that when Waterloo takes off the percentage, you'd end up with a higher average than you had now.

Mid 80s is usually fine for everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jdmitr jdmitr
To be honest I was on the exact same boat last year. And I can tell you from experience just the though of victory lapping will deter you from doing well in high school. Your just gonna excuse yourself everytime theres something hard in school and say ill just victory lap. rather than doing that, just suck it up and study hard. i know its harder said then done so im gonna give you an alternative that i choose; PRIVATE SCHOOL! im sure you know what they all say, and if you need a good school or advice msg me ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slasher61 Slasher61

@FionatheArchitect wrote
I'm torn on whether I should stay behind a year of high school. My marks at alright as of now (Mid 80s), but the program that I want to go into - University of Waterloo for Architecture- is really competitive. They only accept 75 people a year, eek!

I'm a year younger for my grade. So I shouldbe in grade 11, but I'm a grade higher. Math and physics aren't my forte, so I was thinking of staying behind a year to catch up.

Should I stay behind? Or should I take the chance of applying for UW even though my chances are slim. My back ups for Uni are Carelton for architecture and UofT for Arts/ Architecture. However, I don't really want to go to those programs, my goal is UW, and one day establish my own architectural firm.

I'd really appreciate your opinion. I know this all comes down to me, but for those who are more experienced, please comment! Thanks!

Apply anyways. You can always reject the acceptance and choose to return for another year. It honestly won't hurt you at all. There are many benefits of the "dreaded" 5th year. For one, if you have a part time job, you'll make an extra years worth of money than you would've had originally. Second, it will give you all summer if you choose not to go, to decide what you want to do. Thirdly, I was talked to a Queen's professor, and he told me that believe it or not, they can tell who did the victory lap because they are so much more prepared, and their marks in univeristy are much higher than those who did 4 years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0