yconic - Single vs double room
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Single vs double room

A photo of RossGemaco RossGemaco
What's your opinions on a single dorm for yourself, or having a roommate? This would be at Queens or Western, if that makes a difference. My brother went to Queens and had a roommate and now theyre good friends.

I feel like it would be a lot easier to meet new people, once you have that one friend that's your roommate.

On the other hand, if you room with someone you dont get along with, they have a different lifestyle than you, etc. it could have its benefits to live by yourself.

thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
Personally I kind of want a roommate for the reasons you listed above. I feel like I would get completely lonely if I had a single. My scholarship guarantees me a single room on Queen's main campus though, so I'm starting to feel like maybe I should capitalize on that opportunity just because of the quieter study space. I haven't really decided yet to be honest lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sillybatman sillybatman
I'm debating between the two as well.
A single offers a better study environment, more privacy and more room to yourself. So this would be ideal for people who are a little more uptight and like their own space.
A double offers a chance to meet a new person, to get to know this person, to share a living environment, and an experience that enables you to learn how exactly you like to live. This is for more laid back people who are chills with their living habitat.
Either way it's just for one year, after that if either one doesn't suit you, you can just change it in second year.
Hope that helped, I'm stuck too so I'm looking for some insight as well. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
I can add to this a bit too:

A single means you will most likely lose less sleep.
With a single, if you prop your door open, you can likely meet your hallmates well.
A single protects you from what I imagine to be the most horrible of situations: you don't at all hit it off with your roommate/you are really different types, and they constantly have their friends over sitting your bed. Haha.

A double teaches you how to negotiate, compromise, and resolve normal stuff that happens when you live with someone. It's especially good in that regard if you are a single child or didn't have to share a room with a sibling ever :)
A double may be good for connecting you not just with your roommate but also your roommate's friends! It has the potential to double your social network.
You can always study in the library.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ElIipsis ElIipsis
It's a chance you'll have to take. You can love your roommate and be friends foreeeeeever and live with them alllll the time or you can hate them.

I've seen both cases, and fortunately, I came to really like my roommate.

I've also seem cases in suite-style dorms where there's a kind of two-vs-two environment.

Single rooms are lonely! But you can make it work, just leave your door open and welcome any visitors. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
I'm going through the same dilemma myself. I'm not sure I'm worrying too much about this or not but I tend to snore when I sleep and the last thing I want to do is prevent my roommate from sleeping. However, single rooms are more expensive than double rooms, which is one of the reasons why my parents want me to get a double. What should I do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jabberparrot jabberparrot
If you are an independent person and like meeting people but also like alone time, go for a single! With a double room, you have a high chance of not getting along with your roommate. Plus, you will rarely get alone time. But if you enjoy being around people all the time and have a very friendly personality (i.e. you get along with everyone)then a double room is cheaper and better suits you :)
I know I'm getting a single room because I need my alone time every day, and I am too nervous that I'd be with someone I wouldn't get along with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashleybabcock ashleybabcock
I'll be heading to Queen's in the fall, and although this question crossed my mind, I definitely hope the lottery process for room assignments is on my side--I don't know if I could risk having a roommate that I didn't get along with, or who had sleep/study habits much different than my own. I stay up fairly late, and only really require 4 to 5 hours of sleep each night... I would either drive myself nuts by trying to fall asleep early, or my roommate nuts by keeping them up! I think you'll meet people in residence just as easily with a single room; it's not like you're in your room for very long each day anyway :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Abi21 Abi21
I'm personally going to go with a double room. Even if you don't like the person you're placed with, not like you're actually going to be in your room 24/7. When my brother was in his first year, he absolutely hated the person he shared his room with. The next two years the people he was placed with were fantastic. So in the end, if you get a roommate you dislike, it's not the end of the world. Also, another aspect to look at is cost; in general a double room is a lot cheaper. That's what helped me make my decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fiadbrel fiadbrel
when my mum was in university, she lived in rez for her first two years.

First year her and her roomate didnt hate eachother they just stayed out of the others way, and then in second year she became bestfriends with her new roomate who is now my godmother.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jabberparrot jabberparrot
What is the cost difference for single versus double rooms? (How much more expensive are single rooms)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Abi21 Abi21

@jabberparrot wrote
What is the cost difference for single versus double rooms? (How much more expensive are single rooms)

In general single rooms are around $700 to $1500 more expensive per year. Just depends on the university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0