yconic - So, what IS engineering about?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

So, what IS engineering about?

A photo of WD50 WD50
What do subjects do you study and what career comes out of it(engineer is a bit general)?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of simsidhu7 simsidhu7
There are many job opportunities for engineering. Engineering is basically consisted of designing and creating, whether you choose to be a Mechanical, Electrical, Biomedical, or Civil Engineer. It all depends on what interests you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kelly7501 kelly7501
Engineers are sort of like inventors, but once they've come up with an idea, they have to figure out how to make it come to life.The physics of their idea, how it will work, the materials they will need, and more. Different types of engineers invent different things in different areas based on their schooling.

For example, a biological engineer may invent a new type of prosthetic and decide how it will work, based on their education in biology and its relation to physics, in which that engineer would know all about from their studies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ That was poorly explained.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@g93 wrote
^ That was poorly explained.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of intec123 intec123
Hey, I'm an aspiring engineer as well, and even though my description of an engineer may not be correct, I chose to go with engineering for the following reasons.

Engineers are heavily dependent on their ability to solve problems with their knowledge.
They go through rigorous amount of studying, typically in mathematics and sciences.
In short, engineers apply their knowledge to real-life problems.

There are so many different possibilities once you go into engineering.
You can become a mechanical engineer (build efficient cars, robots, machinery, etc)
or an electronic engineer (electro-circuits, microchips, lots of soldering, etc)
or a computer engineer (hardware AND software. coding, making processors, etc; overlaps quite a bit with electronic engineers)
or a biomedical engineer (build life-saving machines like X-ray machines, CAT/PET scans, nano bots, etc)
or an environmental engineer (work with water systems, eco-concious stuff.)
or a chemical engineer (need I say more? You can potentially make bombs)
or a materials engineer (you get to ask and answer questions like "what kind of fabric can I make bullet-proof AND knife-proof?" or "what should I use to make a pipe that doesn't leak harmful chemicals?")
or a software engineer (work at Google, alongside with computer scientists, writing out codes and systems)

These are only a FEW examples of engineers.
Like I've said, I'm still in high school, and thus I do not know fully of what engineers go through daily. But the fact that I can use my knowledge to make people's lives better fascinates me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@intec123 wrote
Hey, I'm an aspiring engineer as well, and even though my description of an engineer may not be correct, I chose to go with engineering for the following reasons.

Engineers are heavily dependent on their ability to solve problems with their knowledge.
They go through rigorous amount of studying, typically in mathematics and sciences.
In short, engineers apply their knowledge to real-life problems.

There are so many different possibilities once you go into engineering.
You can become a mechanical engineer (build efficient cars, robots, machinery, etc)
or an electronic engineer (electro-circuits, microchips, lots of soldering, etc)
or a computer engineer (hardware AND software. coding, making processors, etc; overlaps quite a bit with electronic engineers)
or a biomedical engineer (build life-saving machines like X-ray machines, CAT/PET scans, nano bots, etc)
or an environmental engineer (work with water systems, eco-concious stuff.)
or a chemical engineer (need I say more? You can potentially make bombs)
or a materials engineer (you get to ask and answer questions like "what kind of fabric can I make bullet-proof AND knife-proof?" or "what should I use to make a pipe that doesn't leak harmful chemicals?")
or a software engineer (work at Google, alongside with computer scientists, writing out codes and systems)

These are only a FEW examples of engineers.
Like I've said, I'm still in high school, and thus I do not know fully of what engineers go through daily. But the fact that I can use my knowledge to make people's lives better fascinates me.

Not bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0