yconic - So what now?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

So what now?

A photo of Screwedup1 Screwedup1
Hey guys i was just wondering... I was denied by every program i applied for and have no idea what to do. I don't want to go back to high school so i was wondering if i call them can i get into another program in a university for this year
Was this helpful? Yes 0
29 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
What programs did you apply to? What is your average? More information please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9
Did you apply to Harvard, Yale, or MIT?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Life sciences and regular sciences at Queens western Utm Uoft Waterloo york
Avg in total 71% also my calc is a 45% but its not in my top 6 if that means anything?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Assuming your average is too low for even a general arts program, I think you have no choice other than to upgrade your marks by taking an extra semester or year. Alternatively, you might be able to get an acceptance from some of the less popular universities, such as Algoma.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What if i upgrade lets say one of my courses to an 80 to bump my avg in summer school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

your calc mark would be the reason then. None of the universities want to see a failed course even though it's not part of your prerequisites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Spengler wrote
Assuming your average is too low for even a general arts program, I think you have no choice other than to upgrade your marks by taking an extra semester or year. Alternatively, you might be able to get an acceptance from some of the less popular universities, such as Algoma.

+1
extra semester recommended
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wait so summer school doesn't help at all
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Ideally, you should aim for at least an 80% top six average when you upgrade your marks. I'm not sure if upgrading just one course will be worth the effort. Perhaps contact the universities and ask them for suggestions. But from the looks of it, I think you need to seriously consider spending a semester or two to improve your marks. 71% is not a competitive average at most universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Man...Ill do anything to not go back to my high school wait can i also switch into a weaker program at universities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly is your motive to go to university? Academically, your average says that you are unprepared for undergraduate work. Even 71% is on the low end for an arts program (which is the easiest kind of program you can get into, generally speaking). I know taking an extra semester sucks, but the alternatives ( getting into a program you're not interested in or dropping out) seem a lot worse in comparison.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
General sciences is typically a 'weaker' program. Bottom line is you'll probably need around an 80% average. And not be failing calculus. Is there not another way to upgrade? I know in Edmonton you aren't even allowed to upgrade at your old high school, you go to what is called "Center High" for that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well i honestly find nothing in school interesting but like i honestly tried my hardest and this has always been my average. What my motive is... I dont know i just want to get a nice career but if i honestly cant do anything i might just dropout and get a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It sounds like you should really take a year off to figure out what you want to do with your life career-wise. Maybe your idea of a nice career doesn't require a university degree - you may just need a college diploma in something. My guess is you'll be more motivated to upgrade your marks if you actually see a need for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Im honestly scared of that because if i take a year off i might not want to go back to school. But i want to know... is it still possible for me to get accepted anywhere right when i come out of summer school cuz last year i took it for functions and came out a 92% because its eaiser. Will it hurt my chances of getting in even more knowing i failed a course and took summer school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Well if you take a year off and don't want to go back to school, maybe that's a sign. Taking summer school certainly won't make your chances any worse than they are now. Some schools might look at repeated courses or summer school negatively, but those would be for more competitive programs than you would likely apply to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well thanks i guess... Im depressed but at least i know my options.. i just aint smart for school im gonna drop out after i get my high school diploma. Thanks anyways :(
Also FYI: This isnt my account this is my friends who made it for me but if you see him online please dont think of him as the idiot i am

-Bye
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys im the actual owner and my friend is like extremely depressed like what do i tell him. I tutored him with his sci and math courses but nothing helps, is there anything i can do to cheer him up or any other suggestions that you could think of for him...this is a really depressing sight..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Gotta protect your internet identity, eh?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well i made up this account with my old email and he wanted a question and hes like depressed through like what do i do
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Tell him he is so young and he still has plenty of time to go to university if that is what he decides he wants to do. But it's not something that he should do just because he thinks he should or because people expect him to. With his current academic standing it is quite likely he wouldn't make it through first year unless his habits and outlook change drastically.

He needs to sit down and come up with an idea of what he wants his future to look like and how he will get there. Doesn't have to include university. My mother never received a university degree and is quite successful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0