yconic - So, what's life like at Rotman and Waterloo AFM?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

So, what's life like at Rotman and Waterloo AFM?

A photo of yh94 yh94
I got into Rotman and my college is Woodsworth. So how is life at the university (and college if anyone here is in Woodsworth)? I'm talking about stuff like parties, the kind of people their, and other activities?

And what about uWaterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of BuizWiz101 BuizWiz101
When did you get accepted to Rotman?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I just got accepted into Rotman a few days ago. Which college did you get into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yh94 yh94

@BuizWiz101 wrote
When did you get accepted to Rotman?

March 3.

@Renxue wrote
I just got accepted into Rotman a few days ago. Which college did you get into?

Grats! Woodsworth for me, you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SophiaG SophiaG
waterloo seems so lame. no offence to anyone going there, but all the students are so nerdy. waterloo's also kind of small, not a lot going on from what i saw.
toronto's got a better scene for sure. way more fun. plus rotman students get to mingle with other artsci people, so you get to meet a wider array of people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@SophiaG wrote
waterloo seems so lame. no offence to anyone going there, but all the students are so nerdy. waterloo's also kind of small, not a lot going on from what i saw.
toronto's got a better scene for sure. way more fun. plus rotman students get to mingle with other artsci people, so you get to meet a wider array of people.

You've met every single student?

While some students may be a little nerdy, it's far from all of them. The SAF is a great community, and there's all kinds of fun events going on within it of all types, whether it be a video game party or some guys getting a game of soccer going (two recent example), plus there's all kinds of academic-related stuff. You're not shut off, and you can go make friends with anyone you please. A lot of people are very good friends with people in their residences from other faculties, and joining clubs and playing intramurals are great ways to get to know people. The Waterloo community as a whole it's overly outgoing and isn't your typical party school, but if you want to have a good time you will easily find it. There's just a much stronger focus on school and academics than elsewhere, and you have a higher number of people shutting themselves in their room to study all day. Plus you have the co-op effect (large number off students not on campus).

The area around campus was dead today as 1) it's a weekend (many people go home to Toronto, go elsewhere) 2) it's basically exam break now for a lot of people (go home or stay in room and study) and 3) the weather sucked for much of the day. Add them all together, and you have a less than lively area. If you came the other week, you would have seen people out on the grass playing frisbee, others out relaxing and listening to music, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@caveman wrote

@SophiaG wrote

While some students may be a little nerdy, it's far from all of them. The SAF is a great community, and there's all kinds of fun events going on within it of all types, whether it be a video game party or some guys getting a game of soccer going (two recent example), plus there's all kinds of academic-related stuff. You're not shut off, and you can go make friends with anyone you please. A lot of people are very good friends with people in their residences from other faculties, and joining clubs and playing intramurals are great ways to get to know people. The Waterloo community as a whole it's overly outgoing and isn't your typical party school, but if you want to have a good time you will easily find it. There's just a much stronger focus on school and academics than elsewhere, and you have a higher number of people shutting themselves in their room to study all day. Plus you have the co-op effect (large number off students not on campus).

The area around campus was dead today as 1) it's a weekend (many people go home to Toronto, go elsewhere) 2) it's basically exam break now for a lot of people (go home or stay in room and study) and 3) the weather sucked for much of the day. Add them all together, and you have a less than lively area. If you came the other week, you would have seen people out on the grass playing frisbee, others out relaxing and listening to music, etc.

do you go to waterloo caveman?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@Windsongs4 wrote

Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@caveman wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

Yes.

YAY -i can bug you with questions >:D :P:P:P (if thats okay)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@caveman wrote

@SophiaG wrote

Agree with caveman right here. Honestly, before I came to loo, I had the same doubts, that everyone in my program would be hardcore nerds hermitting in their rooms 24/7, but in reality, we just work hard, and play even harder. It's also the people you choose to hang around, and the things you get involved in. There are a lot of cool people all over campus, a lot of fun things to join, but you have to keep in mind what you're here for - and that's ultimately to study and eventually get a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0