yconic - Social life at UofT St. George?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Social life at UofT St. George?

A photo of Zeal Zeal
Safe to say it is nonexistent? All my friends will be going off to UW, Mcgill, and other American universities. I am pretty much on my own at UofT. Not into partying or clubbing, but I also don't want to study 10 hours/day with no social life.

So, how much truth is there in the stereotype that UofT is filled with antisocial people who study 24/7?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
eh, you can find friends/have a decent social life. Just be involved in social stuff (go to frosh, join clubs, go to college events, hang around campus etc.)

if all else fails I'll be your friend! ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I think that depends on your program, and whether you live on campus or not. It's probably a lot easier to have a social life if you don't commute.
I've also heard that the humanities people people party more... I can't say from first hand experience lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
More than the engineers, that's for sure!

though tbh there are social people from all programs really.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zeal Zeal

@kraken wrote
eh, you can find friends/have a decent social life. Just be involved in social stuff (go to frosh, join clubs, go to college events, hang around campus etc.)

if all else fails I'll be your friend! ;)

That's what I planned to do as well, but I've read about how cliquey UofT students are, which may be a waste of time.

I'm honored the great Kraken is offering her friendship, but how often do those upper year befriend freshmen?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zeal Zeal

@Treemonkey wrote
I think that depends on your program, and whether you live on campus or not. It's probably a lot easier to have a social life if you don't commute.
I've also heard that the humanities people people party more... I can't say from first hand experience lol

I'm going into physics and I'll be commuting. So...I'd have to hang out with the humanities people, eh? Not a problem, just hope I can find one or two social people in my major that I can network with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
cliquey? nah, no more than anyone else.

lots of upper years befriend first years, at least at my college (then again, my college is the best. :P )

and I know social people in all programs, including physics. not to worry. just make sure you do frosh/spend as much time on campus as you can, and you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Krak, how bout them pedo upper years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Steer clear! The ones I know of have graduated, but I'm sure there are others...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@kraken wrote

quality > quantity
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel

@steele wrote

@kraken wrote

quality > quantity

Don't worry about it, I assure you: the engineers are more than social enough.However engineering does demand much more course work and readings than any other discipline of course. The key is balance.

And that's a great point you make as well. A lot of people in the first semester were really focused on making friends, but you soon realize that in the end all you need is six pall-bearers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IronMan IronMan
Engineers rule!! go silly F!rosh :p

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UofT Engineering Science 1T5
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
It sucks. The End.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken

@Sheldore wrote
It sucks. The End.

only if you don't know where to find it. I bet you're one of those kids who hides in your room going "the social life sucks" and never actually goes to anything. we're not gonna come drag you out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I don't understand how anyone can complain about a city, place or university being boring. YOU are responsible for your own social life. I can have fun just about anywhere if I have friends there. If you aren't making friends, that's probably your own fault.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
^+1. though our on-campus/house party scene may not be as good as some places, making friends/having fun is really not hard at all. and if you really want parties you can always go clubbing or whatever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Snowboarder629 Snowboarder629
I have to completely disagree with the statement that u of t has no social life. I am going into my first year, but have attended the university college my def retreat. There were 40 of us there plus about 15 leaders who are upper students. The spirit there was amazing, and just made ke 10x more excited for school. I meet so many cool people an have already made many new friends. But the most important thing that I learned while talking one on one with one of the commuter don's is that although u of t doesn't have a tight community like queens or western if you get involved you will get the same experience, sense of community and social life as anywhere else. At u of t you reap what you sow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JJae JJae
Especially since you are commuting, you really need to get involved if you want a good social life at UofT.

don't just go home after classes. also, go to frosh and make friends.

but do NOT worry, if you are the type to want to have fun, it will be there for you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jesushchrist jesushchrist
you can find me sipping on something...company is optional
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
what do you sip? ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0