yconic - Social Science Students and Reading.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Social Science Students and Reading.

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
Well I got an advice from a current university student telling me that there is a LOT of reading.

That I know.

But what I didn't know is that if I'm not a fast reader, I'll have an incredibly hard time doing all the readings in university. I was told to read a lot this summer to get used to the amount of reading once school starts.

How true would you guys say this is?

Enlighten us with your experience :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I took a few social science courses in my undergrad as part of my program. The reading load does get significantly higher from grade 12 to first year, but what they don't tell you is that no one will care if you did your readings. I certainly didn't. In fact, I remember doing all of the readings for only one course (a history course), and that was because I made a deal with the TA that I would write weekly summaries instead of attending class and getting marks for that, due to a schedule conflict.

It will become clear who did and who didn't do their readings when you discuss them in class. Some people are just naturally good at pretending they did the readings. If you're not one of them, I suggest you learn how to critically skim your readings, rather than read 80 pages of a textbook every week for EACH class. Take good notes when you read. You can definitely get As without doing all the readings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
^I guess it varies according to the student. Let's hope for the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
I'm in a discipline that is a cross between social science and science (applied human nutrition), and yes, there is a lot of reading in social science courses. If you are not a fast reader, you will have to learn what is important to read, what is important to skim, and what you can skip completely.

Talking to upper year students, you can find out which profs tend to have lots of exam questions on the readings, versus which ones have most questions based on their class notes. Obviously, if one class has a lot of exam questions based on the readings, you should try to do as much of the readings as possible. For some courses, the profs are helpful, and will even tell you which readings are considered supplementary, basically just there to help you understand the material, and not directly testable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I took philosophy and there were a lot of readings! I am a slow reader too, so I mostly skimmed through the textbooks but did read my lecture notes carefully.
Was this helpful? Yes 0