yconic - Social Work Acceptance
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Social Work Acceptance

A photo of stevef7 stevef7
Has anyone been accepted to a Social Work program? Specifically at Ryerson or York University?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of bulletxstar bulletxstar
I got accepted to Ryerson BSW on the 25th.
GOODLUCK!
I never received a email so you might want to directly check your Ryerson Portal.
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Same! I didn't recieve an email either. Gah I'm so happy:D:D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congratulations!
Just wondering, which BSW program would you choose?
And if it was between york and ryerson which one do you like better?
personally, I've heard Ryerson has the better program AND they offer two practicums compared to york which is a new program and only offers one.
Plus, york accepts 75 while ryerson accepts 199.
Sorry for my amount of questions! it's just there are so little i know that want to get into social work and I still have no idea what i want to do!
if only you applied to mcmasters. What made you not anyways?
Cause they offer a second year BSW program where you'll graduate in 4 years with a BA/BSW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey! And no worries I am full of questions too! Haha and I got into the four year Undergraduate program, you? For Ryerson vs. York I would probably pick Ryerson because I want to be downtown Toronto as opposed to out of town. Also, I like Ryerson's program because of the two year practicum. You? Also, I didn't apply to McMaster because I didn't even know they had the Program:P Plus I want to be in Toronto:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yup direct entry program! :)
the two practicums are more attractive!
the only restraint i have if i were to choose social work is the school setting.
ryerson is in dt and especially eaton's but york's facilities are better (well for me they're both the same location wise but i live pretty close to steele's so it'd be least transferring for me :D)
like i went for the showcase day a few months ago and the ryerson building that hosts social work is really LEGIT btw ugly & some classes will probably be at amc
:( and york is really nice!
ahh so confusing!
aha ALSO we might be entering the same program at the same school!
LOL I'm Jessica, nice to meet you :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nice! And yes two precticums rock!
And I live two hours north so either way I have a far distance to travel:P
And I havent done a tour of either University yet but I'm touring York on the 16 and then Ryerson on the 17 to compare. I really really want to go to Ryerson but I'm Worried I Won't get Into Residence because theres only about 800 or so spots.
And yes! We may be at the same School:P!
I'm Stephen btw lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh wow that is far!
well if it is ryerson you can always live off ress.
but first year res is always good
go check your york! i just got mine a couple of hours ago :)
crossing my fingers for you :D!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know but I really really want to live on Residence first year.
And wooo just got Accepted to York:D!
Gah so happy!
And congrats btw:P
Now I have a tough decision tho...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoxkarolina xoxkarolina
Hey, My name is Karolina. Im still waiting on my acceptance on York for Social Work. I was wondering what were your averages and what did you get in English? My mark in english this year is a 65 and im worried that its affecting me getting in. The rest of my marks are fairly decent (in the mid 70's to 80's). Or people who are currently taking Social Work at York, what did you guys get in your grade 12 classes?
Im just worried because its almost mid-april and on the MyFile on the York website it says that their is no decision yet on whethe im in the program or not :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Karolina!
In English I had a 80 Average, and overall I had an 85% last Semester. Last year I had a 80%. I wouldn't Worry too much, Im sure you'll still hear back:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

o wow. well hopefully i hear back soon cuz im getting nervous and i really wanna know! im guessing their waiting for midterm marks to come out. im just praying my english mark is good enough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello! :)

In grade 11 I believe I had a 83% average, but did really poorly in chem and got a 58%. Though, I don't believe grade 11 marks are applicable cause York sent out their social work admissions after first semester.

As for grade 12 marks, I had 5 courses done by that time with a 85% average,
but without English cause I have it this sem.

So don't worry! I have friends waiting too. And when I was at Spring Gala a lot of people haven't gotten their replies yet. Personally, I would not go to York. I was so disappointed at their program when I went to Spring Gala. I could answer a question the professor couldn't about admissions for BSW. It was sigh*** -____-

GOOD LUCK!

btw. Steve I think I'll be seeing you at Ryerson in the fall :D!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok thanks. but York is the only school i applied for social work. My english mark wasnt good enough to apply to Ryerson and my rents dont want me to go somewhere far like Carelton. But even if i got into Ryerson i think i would choose York because i like how everything is their on campus, its basically its own little town. Im not to keen on the idea of having to walk all around downtown toronto and having my classes at the amc theatre. idk, just my opinion. But when it comes to the placement, i think Ryerson wins in that situation cuz York only gets placement in the fourth year.

btw do you guys know whether schools look at averges as a whole or do thy look at inidvidual marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

but ya there are definatly pros and cons of going to both schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey! i think they look at grades at a whole, but english seperately.
and yay so stoked! i accapted the other day:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

which school did u end up picking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ryerson University because I did a tour of both York and Ryerson and I liked Ryerson a lot better. It's right downtown which is what I want and the Program seems a lot better. But it all depends on you personally, I'd you don't want to be downtown I would think about York. The only downside to Ryerson is that Residence is hard to get into...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well thats good ! congrats and good luck to you next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks where did You end up picking??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I haven't chosen yet because i have not gotten all my acceptances yet. It's either York for Social Work, Ryerson for ECE, or Laurier for Psychology, and maybe Guelph if i get into their coop program. I'll probably know in the next couple of weeks cuz my schools midterm marks came out today. Overall, i wanna go to a school with some kind of placement/coop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0