yconic - Sociology at McGill or University of Toronto
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sociology at McGill or University of Toronto

A photo of castlesandforts castlesandforts
Hello there! I'm an international student interested in studying sociology in Canada and I'll be taking my A levels at the end of the year. Which universities are strong in sociology? With a good social life, and I don't mean partying or clubbing. Like places of attraction, things to do in the city, cultural life, shopping, proximity to city, clubs and societies offered by the uni etc. Is knowing French a must? Which universities have the best culture? Community spirit etc. Thanks a lot!

I've shortlisted University of Toronto and McGill. Is there a difference between the three campuses of UofT other than location? Which meets my criteria more? Conparison between the three campuses and McGill will be appreciated, but I welcome other suggestions too. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of samwise575 samwise575

@castlesandforts wrote
Hello there! I'm an international student interested in studying sociology in Canada and I'll be taking my A levels at the end of the year. Which universities are strong in sociology? With a good social life, and I don't mean partying or clubbing. Like places of attraction, things to do in the city, cultural life, shopping, proximity to city, clubs and societies offered by the uni etc. Is knowing French a must? Which universities have the best culture? Community spirit etc. Thanks a lot!

I've shortlisted University of Toronto and McGill. Is there a difference between the three campuses of UofT other than location? Which meets my criteria more? Conparison between the three campuses and McGill will be appreciated, but I welcome other suggestions too. Thanks!

UofT is extremely competitive and there really won't be time to take in the city of Toronto much. Both cities do have vibrant cultures but I'd say Montreal more so. You don't need to know French since McGill is a weird little anglophone bubble within Montreal. School spirit at UofT is non existent. It's also not very high at McGill to be fair. The St George campus of UofT is right downtown so plenty of shopping and what not, I really wouldn't recommend the other two campuses to you. The McGill campus is also in the heart of Montreal so there's plenty to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chrysocolla chrysocolla

@samwise575 wrote

@castlesandforts wrote

UofT is extremely competitive and there really won't be time to take in the city of Toronto much. Both cities do have vibrant cultures but I'd say Montreal more so. You don't need to know French since McGill is a weird little anglophone bubble within Montreal. School spirit at UofT is non existent. It's also not very high at McGill to be fair. The St George campus of UofT is right downtown so plenty of shopping and what not, I really wouldn't recommend the other two campuses to you. The McGill campus is also in the heart of Montreal so there's plenty to do.

Yes, U of T has competitive students but what school doesn't? You can't paint every student with the same brush. Also, when one is attending any university and desires to have good grades and a social life, time management is key. The U of T St. George campus isn't far from many of the local attractions and there are many places that offer discounts to students (e.g. the ROM).

To answer some of your other questions:
- The main difference between the three campuses is that St. George is the largest and they offer more programs than Scarborough and Mississauga. If you like a program that is offered from the latter two campuses and would like to be on a smaller campus and in smaller classes, I'd suggest you choose between the two.
- There are chances to participate in research projects at U of T but the best way to do it is through the Research Opportunity Program that is offered to second year students. Also, there are sociology courses that are offered where you can learn about interesting topics and issues and hopefully will enrich your experience at the university even more. I enjoyed my first-year sociology course and it is why I'm majoring in this subject.
- The closest mall to U of T that I know of is the Eaton's Centre but there are other malls too(e.g. Dufferin Mall) that are usually 30-45 minutes away.
- You are able to get a sense of community at U of T but it's with the college you choose as they will provide useful resources at your disposal and hold lots of events with your fellow students. Also, there are tons of clubs on campus that you can join and you can make friends with people who are members of clubs you are interested in.

I'm sorry if I rambled a bit but I just wanted to give you a general idea of what U of T has to offer and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm so sick of people bitching about how hard U of T is...You will have time to see Toronto. There is no way you're going to be studying 24/7...

I would not choose any campus other than St. George if you want a good social life, good city, etc. The other two campuses are kind of out in the suburbs.

So it basically comes down to UTSG or McGill. Both excellent choices and excellent cities. I know many who would argue Montreal has a more vibrant culture and is a more lively city. I've never been, I can't say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
From what you've mentioned I don't really think you could go wrong with either. Both are strong schools academically. Both are located in the heart of two of Canada's most culturally diverse cities. I've never been to McGill, but I live in downtown Toronto and I can tell you that there is no shorage of shopping or entertainment near UofT. Knowledge of French isn't a must at either university, however it would definitely be beneficial at McGill since more than half of the population of Montreal speaks French as a first language.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
You'll be unemployed either way. Flip a coin. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prozspade prozspade
I'd argue that McGill is at least as time consuming and challenging academically. However, Montreal is vibrant in every aspect you mentioned. If you can get into McGill, I say: do it. Opportunity of a lifetime - anyone can get into the social sciences at U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0