yconic - Sociology or Social work ??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sociology or Social work ??

A photo of Thay Thay
Hi, I am a grade 12 student who is undecided about what program I want to apply for. I know that I want to get into some type of counselling, must likely family counselling but im not sure what the difference is between going into a program for sociology vs one for social work
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of stephnrobinson stephnrobinson
For family counselling, social work would probably be a better option. The differences are minimal is some areas, but sociology is more about broader theories and research, while social work is more practical and often considered a professional program.

The basic difference at the school level is that the HBSW gives you placement hours, which may help you secure placement or at least give added experience.

To be honest, you can do a lot of the same jobs with either degree, but it'd probably be easier with a HBSW than an honours Sociology program, especially if you plan on applying to graduate school. I am currently applying to my Masters of Social Work, but I am a Psychology major. I have to take the two year program instead of a one year program and have limited options because of this. But I could do a lot of the same jobs with my Psychology degree that I could with a Bachelor of Social Work degree.

Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Thay Thay
Thank You... I know there are a lot of accredited social working programs but do you know which schools offer the best or are they all similar. By the way what school do you attend?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
First off, I second everything that stephnrobinson said in their post.

As far as I know (stephnrobinson, correct me if I'm wrong), all Social Work programs that are accredited are more or less the same in quality. The focus of each Social Work school may differ, but again any accredited program is a good program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
First off, I second everything that stephnrobinson said in their post.

As far as I know (stephnrobinson, correct me if I'm wrong), all Social Work programs that are accredited are more or less the same in quality. The focus of each Social Work school may differ, but again any accredited program is a good program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thay Thay
Thank you. I was thinking of applying to the program that you are in at Guelph, i was wondering how is it, what average you got accepted with and what career you might potential pursue?

b/c im still debating on what i want to do and where i want to go
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stephnrobinson stephnrobinson
I go to Nipissing. We do not currently have a social work program, although I know quite a bit about our sociology and social welfare programs, and a social work program is apparently in progress.

Carleton (Ottawa), Ryerson (Toronto), Lakehead (Thunder Bay/Orillia), and Laurentian (Sudbury) are the ones I hear about most for undergrad. That being said, any accredited social work program allows you to register as a social worker, so it is more a matter of preference. My only advice is to make sure you know whether you're taking a 3 or 4 year program. I recommend a 4 year or a Honours Bachelor of Social Work (HBSW) over a BSW. This is especially if you would even consider graduate school, but I believe you also get more placement hours, so it is beneficial regardless of graduate school.

I am applying to Toronto and Laurier for my Masters, but neither have undergraduate programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0