yconic - Sociology
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sociology

A photo of Thay Thay
Anyone applying to or already in a sociology program? What school did you apply to or are already in? How do you like it? and why did you choose that school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ListenToYourHeart ListenToYourHeart
i applied to york, laurier and mcmaster for sociology :) what schools did you apply to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
I was going to apply for sociology, then i discovered social work. Whats the difference between those two anyways? What do you plan on doing after your undergrad?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thay Thay

@ListenToYourHeart wrote
i applied to york, laurier and mcmaster for sociology :) what schools did you apply to?

I just applied to

Ryerson- Sociology
Trent- Sociology
Windsor - Social Work
- Social Work and Women Studies Combined Degree
Lakehead(Orillia Campus) - Social Work

After Undergrad I want to do my Master of Social Work, i'm not exactly sure what i want to do but i want to get into some form of counselling.

You?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thay Thay

@Katarina101 wrote
I was going to apply for sociology, then i discovered social work. Whats the difference between those two anyways? What do you plan on doing after your undergrad?

I want to do my MSW and then go into counselling.

From my research, what i understand is that the BSW is a professional degree, so in your upper year ( year 3 and 4)you have to do placements as part of the degree requirements, kind of like co-op I guess. This way you get a hands on approach on what your learning. This can be beneficial for having future references or even job offers.

However, one disadvantage that i found is that you have to re-apply for your third year in that program and must have a minimum avrg of a B or B+ depending on the school. So if you cannot obtain that average than you can not continue in the program. Also when applying to your 3rd year schools recommend that you have done volunteer work before applying ( not your high school hours).

A BA in Sociology on the other hand is not a professional degree, so you do not get the hands on approach. Basically its just theory, in broader topics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ListenToYourHeart ListenToYourHeart

@Thay wrote

@ListenToYourHeart wrote

I just applied to

Ryerson- Sociology
Trent- Sociology
Windsor - Social Work
- Social Work and Women Studies Combined Degree
Lakehead(Orillia Campus) - Social Work

After Undergrad I want to do my Master of Social Work, i'm not exactly sure what i want to do but i want to get into some form of counselling.

You?

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do but at the moment I'm thinking about maybe going into law.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Octana Octana
york, ryerson, utsg, utsc

looking into double majoring in psych and soc

going into teaching (elem - high school)

Was this helpful? Yes 0