yconic - So...I still haven't applied
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

So...I still haven't applied

A photo of icedogalex icedogalex
Hey everyone,

Just to give some background information, I am really interested in going into education (Primary-Junior). My average is in range 75-80%. The schools I will be applying to are:

Universities
-University of Guelph/Humber
-Ryerson University
-Laurentian University

I did not take a Grade 12 math (I stink at math), so these are the only schools that were appealing given my circumstances.

Can I just get some more ideas/opinions on which school to go to?

I am leaning myself on Guelph-Humber given the fact I get a University of Guelph Honours diploma AND an Early Childhood Education diploma from Humber College.

My main question is this:

I know that Ryerson is reputable, but Guelph-Humber and Ryerson are almost the same age (Guelph-Humber turning 10 and Ryerson turning 13). Laurentian is pretty much a ""just in case".

I am also applying to:

Colleges:

Humber
Sheridan
George Brown (2 programs)

All of the programs are for Early Childhood Education.

My marks (Grade 12) are as follows so far (Midterms)

Economics (73)-has gone down 5% or so since then, I still have a portfolio and an exam to complete and one more big test.

Philosophy (81)- has gone up 5-7% or so, I enjoy the class, and one/two lowest mark(s) is being removed

Peer Helping (100%, 3rd course, not uni relevant)- Excellent for my supplementary application at Guelph Humber and colleges.

Next Semester:

- Writers Craft
- Spanish
- World History
- English

*Writing is my "thing". I also enjoy languages*

I also believe I should mention that I am a male International Business and Technology student (IBT). IBT is not given any "special" status at the application process for university. I enrolled in the school for more of a challenge basically. It's been a tough, but rewarding program. As you can tell by my marks, I am not especially academically inclined as some others.

All of my colleges, and Guelph-Humber may (or may not) recognize this program at the time I submit supplementary applications.

Should I maybe not worry so much as I am now? I still haven't applied and a few of my friends have already been accepted. Any light shed on this AT ALL will be amazing!

Thank you all so much for reading and I wish you all a Happy New Year! :)

-Alex

Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
I would say choose Guelph- Humber. In grade 11 I wanted to become a teacher for primary just like you, and this school was a major plus for me. You get a bachelors degree and a diploma, how muvh better can it get? Yeah it's a fairly new school, but once you get into teachers college and graduate no one will know where you attended. I remember one of the representitives from the school told me a large number of their graduates get accepted to teachers college, and that can become competitive. Another plus is that you get so much work experience it looks very good on a resume. If your next choice is Ryerson and you're taking the ECE program, you might as well just take it at a college as for ECE's it does not matter whether you graduate from a college or university, that would just be a mjor loss of money. Don't go to Laurentian unless no other university accepts you (unlikely), they will accept anyone just to get graduates in their school. They accepted me for Social Work with no conditions intil I switched that application to Guelph- Humber. Good luck :)

And btw, it does not matter when you apply, just as long as you apply before the deadline. People are just getting early acceptance, it's nothing major, guelph humber does not even give those out until feburary, so you're all good.

And don't worry too much about your supplementary (at least for universities), at guelph humber thats more for people with lower marks. But your peer course will look good on it anyway.

Any more questions, just ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of icedogalex icedogalex

@Katarina101 wrote
I would say choose Guelph- Humber. In grade 11 I wanted to become a teacher for primary just like you, and this school was a major plus for me. You get a bachelors degree and a diploma, how muvh better can it get? Yeah it's a fairly new school, but once you get into teachers college and graduate no one will know where you attended. I remember one of the representitives from the school told me a large number of their graduates get accepted to teachers college, and that can become competitive. Another plus is that you get so much work experience it looks very good on a resume. If your next choice is Ryerson and you're taking the ECE program, you might as well just take it at a college as for ECE's it does not matter whether you graduate from a college or university, that would just be a mjor loss of money. Don't go to Laurentian unless no other university accepts you (unlikely), they will accept anyone just to get graduates in their school. They accepted me for Social Work with no conditions intil I switched that application to Guelph- Humber. Good luck :)

And btw, it does not matter when you apply, just as long as you apply before the deadline. People are just getting early acceptance, it's nothing major, guelph humber does not even give those out until feburary, so you're all good.

And don't worry too much about your supplementary (at least for universities), at guelph humber thats more for people with lower marks. But your peer course will look good on it anyway.

Any more questions, just ask.

Awesome hearing from someone that's also applying there. You really answered all my questions. For the ECE program specifically, you told me something interesting. I wouldn't mind starting at a college and upgrading later. I really want the work experience, and my goal remains achievable. Thank you so much!
!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
If you want ECE I would either go to Guelph- Humber as a first choice (over 900 hours of experience is amazing), or I would go to George Brown for 2 years, then transfer to the Ryerson ECE program, that would save money. No problem, good luck with your application, and happy new year! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0