yconic - Some Odd ECs ... Need Your Opinion Please!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Some Odd ECs ... Need Your Opinion Please!

A photo of JumboJet JumboJet
I'm starting grade 12 next week and I'm planning on applying to some business programs for next year. My absolute top choice is definitely Schulich followed by Waterloo AFM, Ivey or maybe Rotman.

I'm hoping to maintain a 93 top six average for my current courses but I'm a little concerned about the ECs I've gathered over the last two years. Here is a rough overview of what I'm planning on sending in with my supplementary info apps. I'm estimating around 1,000 hours for my ECs.

- Wendy's part-time job (500 hours)
- Rotary Interact Club (member + exec position) (150 hours)
- Student Council exec (100 hours)
- Peer tutoring for French & Math (80 hours)
- Link Crew: help grade 9s transition into HS (80 hours)
- Mentors: help organize various school events (25 hours)
- Character Counts council: another school council to promote learning skills (50 hours)

- Conservative Party. This is the one I'm a little concerned about. I first started volunteering with my [winning] MP candidate's riding during the federal election this spring. I helped out with: lots of canvassing door-to-door along with creating and distributing fliers to promote the campaign's Facebook page. Some social media marketing I guess you could call it? :P I accumulated about 50 hours for this work in the spring.

Again, I've started to volunteer with the Conservatives, this time for the upcoming provincial election next month. I'm helping the MPP candidate with canvassing and office work (phone calls, data entry, editing media releases that get sent to local media). I'm hoping to get another solid amount of hours from this opportunity.

Now I'm just concerned if volunteering with a political party is suitable to put on my applications? I'm not sure how ridiculous this sounds but could this potentially cause a conflict of interest among the admissions staff reviewing my applications? i.e. maybe if they are Liberals? :bom:

I think the more-so business related experience I have gained from volunteering with the campaigns, combined with my other ECs creates a well-rounded set of activities.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and what you think about my prospects for getting into a business program like Schulich (as it is my top choice by far).

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@JumboJet wrote

Now I'm just concerned if volunteering with a political party is suitable to put on my applications? I'm not sure how ridiculous this sounds but could this potentially cause a conflict of interest among the admissions staff reviewing my applications? i.e. maybe if they are Liberals? :bom:

This is silly. I highly doubt it would have any influence on the quality of your EC. I hope for both you as well as mankind that an admissions officer would hold that against you. Truthfully, a qualified admissions officer shouldn't really have a specific bias like that towards anything, although I'm sure it does happen.

Also, you're more than qualified to get into all three of those programs. I've also heard that Sculich has a magic cutoff (91/92), and if you're over that then you'll almost definitely get admission. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
...just don't write down what party it was with?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@kraken wrote
...just don't write down what party it was with?

You can put down the party name. That won't ruin your application and your ECs are well above average. Make sure to get over 91 (I think that was the cutoff for 2011, but they didn't announce it yet). Good luck! Hopefully, see you next year. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BAcc2015 BAcc2015
If I was in charge of admissions and someone did exactly what you did with the Green Party, I would still seriously consider them as a candidate because it shows (a) their work ethic and (b) their interest in politics, which is something that is lacking in today's youth.

I was in a similar scenario as I was the President of my high school's Amnesty International and PETA groups. I knew little about each group but undertook the positions for university applications. (I know, I know!) Now that I am really aware of what kind of crazy crap both organizations do, I have permanently omitted them from my resume. While at university, I found out about organizations that suited my personality more and they fill up the volunteer portion of my resume.

So if you feel as though canvassing for Conservatives will harm your chances at a paid position, feel free to omit accordingly. But most businesspeople are arguably economically Conservative so I don't think you have much to worry about anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0