yconic - Some tips
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Some tips

A photo of Subtle Subtle
Some helpful tips for grade 11’s!!

Queen’s Commerce
- 87%+ or your application won’t even be looked at; Queen’s will not look at your grade 11 marks.
- If you are 87+, then your grades do not matter at all, only your supplementary application is important. For example, there is no difference between 87 or a 99. I know many 94+ students who were rejected
- There are 3 essays, one for Queen’s and two for commerce. These essays are VERY important.
- A portion of the essay is based on grammar and spelling; these are easy marks to get so revise your essay for mistakes.
- You must list your extracurricular activities and describe them in a very short sentence; I believe it was only about 90 characters per activity.
- Queen’s is looking for COMMITMENT and not just random EC’s you joined.
- Gonna say this again, the essays are VERY important.
- First round of acceptances were around mid-April, mine was around mid-May so don’t lose hope if you didn’t get in first round. Some people on the waitlist were accepted late May and in June.
- "I've noticed that they love work experience, and just pretty much an all-rounded student, good marks, ECs, community involvement" (thanks goldmansachs!)
- "If you type your Queen's app on word then copy and paste, your apostrophes get changed to question marks so make sure you fix that (LOL i know it sounds stupid)" (thanks foreveryoung!)
- Try to apply to be a chancellor nominee. (doesnt hurt to apply) (thanks onlymatthew)

Ivey AEO
- Go to this thread, helped me a lot: http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=3666
- Although Ivey does not specify grade requirements, I personally do not know anyone who was accepted below 87.
- Ivey’s acceptance is truly 50/50 (grades/supplementary), there are many 92+ students who are rejected
- The supplementary application is long, two essays and one optional essay. (I did not write that optional essay) you have to pay $125 to submit this.
- Similar to Queen’s, Ivey looks for commitment in EC’s.
- Ivey is 2+2, so the first two years is spent at Western.
- It does not matter what you choose at Western. Music+Ivey works just as well as bmos+Ivey
- Ivey’s supplementary is due earlier than the rest, so do it fast. (Was due in January this year)
- First round was late March for AEO and last round was mid May.
- You will not find Ivey AEO on einfo
- You MUST take at least one grade 12 math, however, it does not have to be counted towards your top 6 mark calculation.

McGill
- 92+ is a competitive mark, 90-91 may be low
- No supplementary app required.
- 80+ in prereqs including Calc, English and Another Math Course (thanks goldmansachs)

Schulich
- They say Schulich’s acceptance is 50/50 but I doubt it. I don’t know anyone under 90.8 who was accepted.
- 92+ can almost guarantee an acceptance but don’t quote me.
- First round is early March, I don’t know how the first round works, but people with only 4 grade 12 marks were accepted even though their grade 11 marks were horrible. Generally if you’re 91.3+ you will get in first round. I was at 90.5 during March so I wasn’t accepted first round, but 92.2 after midterms so I was accepted in May.
- The supplementary application is kinda tedious, 3 essays and it requires 2 reference letters (I got my supervisor at work to write one and club supervisor at school to write the other)
- Schulich’s supplementary was due in early Feb; they require a hard copy so you can mail it or drop it off. (if you live close just drop it off)
- Schulich will send you an information sheet regarding some tips for the supplementary application. READ THAT CAREFULLY.
- The difference between BBA and iBBA is that in international business you must take an extra language course and go on a foreign exchange.
- iBBA is a tiny bit more competitive since there are less spots, I know one person rejected with 91.0%

Waterloo AFM
- Very competitive despite what everyone believes.
- There are two streams, public accounting and financial management.
- Don’t apply to both!!! If you are rejected from public accounting then you may be deferred to financial management if you qualify for that.
- You must fill out an application information form (like a supplementary) for this program.
- You will be invited to write the AFMAA sometime in after first semester is over. This invitation will be based on your 6 highest readily available marks. The invite will be sent IF you have an average of 83/84 or above (thanks g93)
- You MUST go to Waterloo and write the AFMAA, or you can write it somewhere with supervision but im not sure how that works. (you have to pay $75 dollars to write this)
- The AFMAA is two essays and you write it with pen and paper, it’s weighted heavily for your acceptance.
- I’m not sure what a safe mark for this program is, I know people with 87 being accepted to FM while 92’s were rejected without even being deferred at all.
- "There is really no difference between PA and FM other than co-op. FM students do not get access to the CA jobs in Job Mine. This means that if you want that precious Big 4 job and are in FM, you will have to get to the recruiters yourself. But you can still apply to public accounting firms. The common misconception is that if you are in FM, you can only apply to finance-related jobs." (thanks g93!)

Waterloo Math/CA
- Very competitive, I know one person with a 95.5 average who was accepted.
- You should write the Euclid math competition if you want to get in this program.
- I was rejected with a 92.2 and deferred to Math/BBA double degree
- This will not defer you to AFM if you are rejected

Waterloo Biotech/CA
- Only accepts like 15 people, only know one person who was accepted with 98% average

Rotman Commerce
- You will need high 80’s for this program, a supplementary application is required, (you have to pay $30)
- One essay.
- Rotman’s acceptances were kinda weird this year, some people with 92 got rejected while high 80’s got in. Maybe it had to do with the supplementary application? Not sure.

Laurier BBA
- Cutoff was 87% this year I think, if you are over the cutoff then you are in for sure
- If you’re in a 3% range of the cutoff (so 84%), then you can write an applicant background summary form to boost your average. (the form is like a supplementary application)
- If you don’t get in you’ll get deferred to honours economics.
- If you put your first language as something other than English, Laurier will expect you to send them a transcript saying that you've done at least 3 years of school in an English speaking school. So talk to you guidance counselor about it and they will help you send a transcript

Ryerson, McMaster and the other business schools in Canada don’t require supplementary applications, their cut-off averages can be found on electronicinfo.

General tips
- DON’T underestimate yourself and think that you can’t get that 90, you might regret it.
- Have backups, good backups.
- Don’t’ do your supplementary applications too late.
- When you’re writing essays, READ the question VERY VERY CAREFULLY, and then answer the question. DO NOT go off topic.
- Check for spelling and grammar mistakes
- Don’t slack off first semester and think that you’ll just get good marks 2nd semester, that puts too much pressure on yourself.
- DO WELL FIRST SEMESTER, CHILL AFTER YOU’VE BEEN ACCEPTED.
- Don’t worry too much if people on this site are posting acceptances and you haven’t been accepted, it does NOT mean that they are better than you.
- Apply early, as soon as you get your PIN in grade 12.
- DO NOT LIE on your supplementary applications, trust me.
- If you make your supplementary app on Word, then copy and paste, sometimes it gets messed up so remember to fix that!(thanks foreveryoung)
- If you're not sure about pre-reqs or anything, go to www.electronicinfo.ca
-GOOD LUCK!

Sorry if i havent included other programs, these are the ones that I applied for with the exception of biotech/ca. If anyone sees anything wrong that I've posted feel free to correct me

If anyone has questions feel free to PM me or post here, there are lots of grade 12s currently and some uni students who are more than happy to help you
Was this helpful? Yes 2
67 replies

A photo of apark17 apark17
WOW amazing post, Good job. I wish i had this lol..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mhz mhz
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
Thanks for the detailed post!

I think I may be underestimating myself (Look at the schools I want to apply to) But I am basing what schools I'm applying to on my grade 11 average(80 on the dot), if I find myself getting really good marks in grade 12 by November/December than I will apply to Laurier and Brock or something.

I don't think I will have enough ECs for Ivey or Queens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle

@gassergasser wrote
Thanks for the detailed post!

I think I may be underestimating myself (Look at the schools I want to apply to) But I basing what schools I'm applying to on my grade 11 average(80 on the dot), if I find myself getting really good marks in grade 12 by November/December than I will apply to Laurier and Brock or something.

I don't think I will have enough ECs for Ivey or Queens.

Dont underestimate yourself man. I was in the same position as you, barely made honour roll in grade 11, (80.5) average.

After I got a 30% on my grade 11 functions exam (71% final), I thought I was hopeless. But dont underestimate yourself. Go apply to Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Great post, I'll just add my personal input in addition to Subtle's points

Queen's Commerce
- like he said ESSAY is basically your admission
- people with 87s gotten while 95-96s haven't
- a good essay doesn't mean a completed essay with no spelling errors or punctuation
- make it different, use your creative license and make it funny
- I seen some extraordinary candidates but when I read their essay it was so serious and boring
- let lose and prove to them that you are different
- make sure your prereqs AF, Calc and English which are minimumed at 80 are around 85; noticed a lot of people extremely high math marks 99,98 with low english 81, 82 get rejected (and vice-versa)
- follow instructions on the PSE very precisely, don't go over the character limit, they want to see you if you can follow instructions
- I've noticed that they love work experience, and just pretty much an all-rounded student, good marks, ECs, community involvement

McGill
- 92.0+ should guarantee you but there's talk next of it increasing it to 93 cut-off
- 80+ in prereqs including Calc, English and Another Math Course
- Some people say it's soft to get into McGill because of no supplementary but 92 avg with Calc english and advanced functions at 80+ is good enough for a requirement!

Ivey AEO
- make sure you fill out the form properly, it's long and tedious
- try to fill in every section as much as possible
- don't lie; they will most of the call one of your references to check up
- given that you finished the form properly and have a 90 average you should be in
- $125 dollar to submit form...lol I didn't know this and I was submitting it 10 minutes before it was due and all of a sudden asks for money..and I rushed to get my moms credit card!

Schulich
- 90 average is a must
- Just need to complete their SAF form properly
- as long as you have some extracurriculars, good references you are in
- they don't check your extracirruculars but your references should talk about them
- most important TIP: get one reference in-school one out-of-school; they love that
- this year it wasn't overly difficult to get it; I got in with a 91.0 first round
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Solid post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brandonholmes brandonholmes
Man do I hate supplementary applications. I do some things in and around school but quite frankly the only thing my school cares about is wrestling, which is certainly not my gig. The activities at my school are never advertised when they are introduced (i.e. I had no idea about DECA until sign ups were over, and I'm a prospective business major.)

With that in mind I'm seriously stressing about the supplementary application for Queen's and Ivey. These are my top two schools, and while I know I can pull off the grades (84 average while experimenting with subjects I'm not good at such as tech and chemistry), I'm also certain that my extra-curricular involvement won't be enough to get into the schools I want.

+100 + community service hours as a youth soccer coach w/3 years experience
+Senior Band Baritone Saxophone First Chair
+Actor in school productions (one-act plays, assembly skits, etc.)
+Arts Council Executive
+Attendee to Social Justice events such as Relay for Life
+School delegate to HIV/AIDS conference to promote awareness and education

Next year I'm joining DECA and possibly choir, but I don't know what else to do. Can anyone suggest any roles that can be taken outside the school that can boost my marketability to schools like Queen's Commerce and Richard Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Subtle wrote
- DON’T underestimate yourself and think that you can’t get that 90, you might regret it.

+999999999999999999999

Honestly, spend that extra $100 tops. I doubted myself, got 93. Woulda gotten into Schulich and McGill.

@goldmansachs wrote
- people with 87s gotten while 95-96s haven't

Yup, essay better be good. Seriously, a person with a 99 is weighted the same as an 87. (This is for Queen's Commerce btw)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle

@brandonholmes wrote
Man do I hate supplementary applications. I do some things in and around school but quite frankly the only thing my school cares about is wrestling, which is certainly not my gig. The activities at my school are never advertised when they are introduced (i.e. I had no idea about DECA until sign ups were over, and I'm a prospective business major.)

With that in mind I'm seriously stressing about the supplementary application for Queen's and Ivey. These are my top two schools, and while I know I can pull off the grades (84 average while experimenting with subjects I'm not good at such as tech and chemistry), I'm also certain that my extra-curricular involvement won't be enough to get into the schools I want.

+100 + community service hours as a youth soccer coach w/3 years experience
+Senior Band Baritone Saxophone First Chair
+Actor in school productions (one-act plays, assembly skits, etc.)
+Arts Council Executive
+Attendee to Social Justice events such as Relay for Life
+School delegate to HIV/AIDS conference to promote awareness and education

Next year I'm joining DECA and possibly choir, but I don't know what else to do. Can anyone suggest any roles that can be taken outside the school that can boost my marketability to schools like Queen's Commerce and Richard Ivey?

Ivey and Queen's are looking for commitment in your ecs, if you join choir next year, it won't be much help to be honest. Although joining definitely will not hurt. BUT, what you can do is focus on what you did as an arts council exec and how it influenced other people in that council. Or the type of acting you do and how many shows you performed etcetc., Ivey allows you to fill 20 activities, I only filled out 6. don't fill out 20 just for the hell of it, it won't help. (ivey rep told me this). Queen's only let's you fill out 5 activities lmao so you have to choose the best.

gluck bro.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung
Just thought I should add this in: APPLY EVERYWHERE YOU EVEN COME CLOSE TO CONSIDERING. I know people who regret not applying to certain programs really badly. And personally speaking, I was 99% sure I didn't want to go to Queen's while applying (and actually almost didn't submit the supp), and I ended up actually choosing it. So yeah, make sure you apply everywhere and keep your options open :)

Oh and just some helpful tips about the programs that were important to me in case anyone cares:
- McGill and Queen's are four year programs while Ivey is only a 2 year program (becomes a lot more important when you actually think about it, especially if you're unsure what you want to head into)
- Ivey and McGill are much larger campuses (and cities) than Queen's, maybe an important factor if you come from a larger city (because somewhere like Kingston could be a larger adjustment)
- McGill and Queen's offer BComm degrees while Ivey offers a BA in honours business administration
- Queen's and Ivey definitely have better recruiting and career services (however, Ivey is better imo)
- I cannot stress how important commitment is to both Ivey and Queen's...I was certain I wouldn't get in because I only had a few activities, but these took up a lot of time over several years
- Do not underestimate Laurier, still an amazing program (I feel like it gets left out a lot)
- If you type your Queen's app on word then copy and paste, your apostrophes get changed to question marks so make sure you fix that (LOL i know it sounds stupid)
- Always try to add a personal touch to your essays, from what I've seen they're not looking for the typical (kind of robot-sounding) answers
- Get a teacher or someone you know in the program to read your essays and give you some feedback, that really helped me out
- Don't get sucked in too much about what people on these forums are saying...remember that everyone on here is a high school student in the same boat as you LOL

good luck!
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Something to add for Waterloo AFM:

There is really no difference between PA and FM other than co-op. FM students do not get access to the CA jobs in Job Mine. This means that if you want that precious Big 4 job and are in FM, you will have to get to the recruiters yourself. But you can still apply to public accounting firms. The common misconception is that if you are in FM, you can only apply to finance-related jobs.

Also the study sequence for AFM.
@foreveryoung wrote

- Don't get sucked in too much about what people on these forums are saying...remember that everyone on here is a high school student in the same boat as you LOL

Take everything with a grain of salt (except what I am saying right now). Make your own decisions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17

@foreveryoung wrote

Take everything with a grain of salt (except what I am saying right now). Make your own decisions.[/quote]

+9999999

This is so true, don't let other influence your opinion or else you will never end up picking (speaking from personal experience.) honestly go with what your heart tells you, just read up on the basics, decide on what you want to do and JUST GO WITH IT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Alright. Helped me a bit. Nice post though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Thumbs up. Great post!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BOSS10 BOSS10
AMAZING POST Subtle ! great help, you cleared up a lot of doubts. you practically summed up the entire forum in that post. :)

Just a quick question, when it comes to applying for university, what marks do they look at ? to narrow it down i am strongly aiming for Waterloo AFM-PA. i've completed two grade 12 courses already (Business Leadership -92% and International Business - 92%) and i am taking advanced functions in summer school. i am most probably including these 3 in my top 6 (well adv func for sure since its a pre req). In addition to those 3, i have english first semester so thats 4 right there. however i have accounting, data management and investment & finance first semester and i doubt they will be high marks so i dont plan on including it on my top 6. Calculus (the last pre req) is in second semester where i have law and economics (i plan on choosing one of them as my last mark for my top 6). so now that i've explained my confusing situation :P which marks will they look at ? when i dont have my top 6 ready by first semester ? it may be a commonsense question but no one has ever gave me a straight answer. Thanks :)

ps. any suggestions you would like to add would be greatly appreciated :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@BOSS10 wrote
AMAZING POST Subtle ! great help, you cleared up a lot of doubts. you practically summed up the entire forum in that post. :)

Just a quick question, when it comes to applying for university, what marks do they look at ? to narrow it down i am strongly aiming for Waterloo AFM-PA. i've completed two grade 12 courses already (Business Leadership -92% and International Business - 92%) and i am taking advanced functions in summer school. i am most probably including these 3 in my top 6 (well adv func for sure since its a pre req). In addition to those 3, i have english first semester so thats 4 right there. however i have accounting, data management and investment & finance first semester and i doubt they will be high marks so i dont plan on including it on my top 6. Calculus (the last pre req) is in second semester where i have law and economics (i plan on choosing one of them as my last mark for my top 6). so now that i've explained my confusing situation :P which marks will they look at ? when i dont have my top 6 ready by first semester ? it may be a commonsense question but no one has ever gave me a straight answer. Thanks :)

Waterloo is only going to look at your pre reqs (English, Calc, Adv Func) + 3 other courses (can include 2 M courses which you already have). The end of first semester doesn't matter, as AFM only sends out their acceptances Mid-May. That being said, the most important course for AFM is English. Doing poorly in English first semester may make your ineligible for an AFMA invite, and thus an automatic rejection.

However, you shouldn't worry your self. You're off to a great start going into grade 12 with 2 courses completed. Focus on you studies and you will be fine. Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BOSS10 wrote

Waterloo will look at your top 6 marks available when delivering invites to the AFMAA (you need to be above 83/84 or something). If you have 7 courses done by first semester, they will look at those. The only reason that they would consider your Grade 11 marks is if you didn't have enough Grade 12 courses, and/or if English or Math were in second semester for you. Calculus is 2nd semester for almost everybody so I don't think they care about it at that time, unless you have completed it.

For actual acceptances, they will look at your top 6 marks. This will be based on your Grade 12 1st semester final marks, Grade 12 second semester midterm marks, and any Grade 12 courses you fast-tracked. Waterloo will calculate using the three prereqs (Eng, AF, Calc) and your next 3 highest marks. Note they will also be considering your AFMAA writing and your AIF. I believe to keep a scholarship they will only look at your top 6 (without prereqs).

Also, you don't choose what marks you want in your top 6. Waterloo will calculate it to be the highest possible.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@foreveryoung wrote

- Always try to add a personal touch to your essays, from what I've seen they're not looking for the typical (kind of robot-sounding) answers
:)

When my friends were getting their Queen's essays edited by their English teachers, their teachers made them SO boring and like foreveryoung said "robot-sounding". I didn't get my essays edited once, I started on the day the PSE was due at 7PM and handed it two minutes before the deadline (11:58). The thing is guys, it's more of a creative essay than anything and so if you think a part of your essay is creative and stuff don't leave it, make it sound it like your like a real kid who a nice personality. There are some stuff that I wrote on my essays and my english teachers were like why did you write that! Guess what I got in and the others that got their essays edited didn't. Be yourself on those essays.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
Thank you so much for this thread, it really answered many of my questions. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Also, if you're gunning for Queen's... go for the chancellor's scholarship. You apply for it at the beginning of the year and it increases your admission to Queen's dramatically! Each school nominates a couple chancellor nominees (depending on the size of your school), so you're pretty much competing with your classmates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of socialgirl socialgirl
Thank you all you guys. This thread answered most of my questions. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@onlymatthew wrote
Also, if you're gunning for Queen's... go for the chancellor's scholarship. You apply for it at the beginning of the year and it increases your admission to Queen's dramatically! Each school nominates a couple chancellor nominees (depending on the size of your school), so you're pretty much competing with your classmates.

Yeah, how the heck do you apply for that? Does your school nominate you? Because no one from mine was nominated :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Sometimes you have to ask to be nominated
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you are a chancellor nominee you get in automatically although I think it's the cheap way to get in...because a lot of like students that have high schools in remote areas where every one wants to be a farmer have like an advantage and most of em just apply and get it. For example my old friend in Bolton he got in like that and he didn't even have a 90 avg, or anything he was the only one who applied from his school and he got in QC. And now he didn't even maintain the minimum requirement for Calculus. I think if you are a chancellor nominee you should be in all the other faculties except for Commerce. LOL I'm just spazzing because I didn't get it, 13 people applied at my school and the two AP asian girls got it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted