yconic - Spare or Easy Course?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Spare or Easy Course?

A photo of Morggiebee Morggiebee
So basically I have until a week to choose my courses for my next year Grade 12 courses. I am a french immersion student so I will need a mandatory University French class and of course University English. I am hoping to get into McMaster or any other post secondary school to major in biomedical science or biology. Most universities want grade 12 calculus while some want both Calculus and advanced functions. I did horrible this year in math. I ended up with a final grade of 60% in advanced functions, however I know i can do better with the right teacher. I am planning to fast track grade 12 advanced functions in summer school. So for questions...

Is Grade 12 advanced functions an easier course than the grade 11 (rumor) and should i fast track it in grade 12 or should I take both calculus and advanced functions university level next year in grade 12?
(Keep in mind that I will also be taking Biology,Chemistry,English and French).

Also I want to take 2 spares because I'll have two free courses to take in grade 12, but people are telling me it's better to take take easier courses like gym or art instead of taking spares. Should I take a spare just in case I want to spend more time studying on math? or should I take easier subjects to bump up my average?

I know there are a lot of questions but I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!
Guidance counselors don't do ****!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
I think it's hard to say whether one math course is easier than another because that depends on what teacher you get and what your strengths are. That being said, math is cumulative so if you had a lot of difficulty this year, you may find that carries over to next year. Personally, I don't think there is one "right" way to set up your timetable. If you take summer school and aren't satisfied with your mark or don't feel prepared for calculus, take it again during the school year. Most (not all) schools take your best mark in a course. (McMaster does this.)

As far as spares, again there is no "right" answer to this question. If you think a spare (or two) would be helpful for you, either to have more time to study or to have some time to relax, take one. There are two reasons I can see to take an easy course:
1) You will really enjoy it.
2)You want a seventh mark to fall back on if one of your other classes doesn't go well.

If you're doing it for reason #2, make sure to take something that you can use in your top six! ie. Don't take gym as a back up because Universities don't accept open courses in your top six. If you really like gym and want to take it for fun that's another matter.

Remember that even an easy course will take time. You might be better off with that extra hour every day to study math. My advice would be to sign up for an easy course for now and try it out for the first week of classes. If you find after a week or two that an extra hour to study math would be beneficial, drop the extra course. It's a lot easier to drop a course than to fit one into your schedule later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@Morggiebee wrote
So basically I have until a week to choose my courses for my next year Grade 12 courses. I am a french immersion student so I will need a mandatory University French class and of course University English. I am hoping to get into McMaster or any other post secondary school to major in biomedical science or biology. Most universities want grade 12 calculus while some want both Calculus and advanced functions. I did horrible this year in math. I ended up with a final grade of 60% in advanced functions, however I know i can do better with the right teacher. I am planning to fast track grade 12 advanced functions in summer school. So for questions...

Is Grade 12 advanced functions an easier course than the grade 11 (rumor) and should i fast track it in grade 12 or should I take both calculus and advanced functions university level next year in grade 12?
(Keep in mind that I will also be taking Biology,Chemistry,English and French).

Also I want to take 2 spares because I'll have two free courses to take in grade 12, but people are telling me it's better to take take easier courses like gym or art instead of taking spares. Should I take a spare just in case I want to spend more time studying on math? or should I take easier subjects to bump up my average?

I know there are a lot of questions but I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!
Guidance counselors don't do ****!

I definitely think you should take 2 courses because most Life Science programs have 4 prerequisites, and 2 electives, these electives can make the difference between having an 84 average and an 88 average.

Pick electives you KNOW you can get at least a 90+ in. Chances are you won't get 90+ in all English, French, Advanced Functions (summer school), Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Therefore, 2 electives can replace a bad physics or advanced functions mark for McMaster. What if you get a 70 in Physics and Advanced Functions, with 4 90s in your other courses, your average would be 83%, but if you got 90s in 2 easy courses, it could replace your 70 in Physics and Advanced, and your average would be 90%.

Good luck.

Was this helpful? Yes 0