yconic - Specializing in Waterloo's Physical Sciences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Specializing in Waterloo's Physical Sciences

A photo of Starstruck Starstruck
I was accepted to the Physical Sciences co-op program in December. On my application, I indicated that I wanted to stream into physics; however, after comparing my two options (I want to further specialize in astrophysics), I think I'd be more suited to the mathematical physics program. It's all still within the umbrella of Physical Sciences, though. Do I have to make any sort of changes to my application now? Or was that indication just tentative, and I can change it (if and) when I get to Waterloo?

I know it's an obscure question, but I hope someone can help me out. :tongue:

And also, would I be eligible for both science and math scholarships? Could both the Sir Isaac Newton and the Euclid contests, you know, win me things? Or is it just one or the other?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Dakkers Dakkers
you can do a mathematical physics major with an astrophysics specialization, but you don't need to declare the part about the specialization anywhere; you just take the courses you need and you're set (I'm assuming)

http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/group/SCI-Physics-and-Astronomy

that being said ... I've heard that mathematical physics doesn't have as many career options. I'm not too sure if that's true but yeah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks, Dakkers...I guess now I can just wait for scholarship announcements in May...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

no problem! and yeah. did you apply for OSAP yet, as well as the entrance bursaries?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I haven't applied to either yet, but I plan to. I can't apply to OSAP until I know where I want to go for sure, and I just haven't got around to doing the entrance bursary application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

not true!

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/OSAPStarttoFinish/FullTimeStudents/Step1FillOutanApplication/TCONT003423.html

you can fill out more than one application as it says in the link above.

also, do you know what classes you plan to take during your first year? chances are we'll have some classes together if we both go into physical sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ohhhh, you do more than one application! Gotcha. I only really looked at it once, a few nights ago at, like, midnight. I was too tired to actually pay attention. That's probably a good idea.
According to my handy-dandy Physics handout, I'd be in Chem 120/120L and 123/123L, Math 114, 127, and 128, and Phys 10, 121/131L, 122/132L, and 139, plus two half-course electives. Not sure how I'll choose those...do they need to be on-topic, do you think? Or would it be acceptable to take something completely random?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yeah I actually had to google "OSAP Multiple Applications" just to find the page about the point of having more than one app!

when you say random I assume you mean something entirely unrelated to the program you're doing, and I'm going to assume we can have courses outside of the curriculum, as long as we fill out the requirements for the degree in the end. I'm taking two philosophy electives so I can eventually do a minor (or double major, if I can)

so take whatever you desire! do you plan to live in residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I'll be living in residence. I'm really liking UW Place, since it's so much closer to the science buildings than the other residences. I also like the idea of having my own kitchen and bathroom.

In that case, I'll probably take some sort of humanities elective.

Wow, thanks for looking OSAP applications up for me :tongue:

Which of the physical sciences are you heading into? Is UW your first choice, then, or are you leaning more towards Laurier? (I guess you really like the city of Waterloo...:tongue:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

no problem! a lot of my friends have been asking me for OSAP help since the applications became available (so I'm glad I actually know something instead of leading them in the wrong direction, that'd be bad, especially with OSAP)

I plan to do a major in physics like yourself but I plan to do graduate work in theoretical physics (hopefully). also a minor in philosophy as I said, or a double major if I can!

do ya have Facebook? it'll be nice being able to go to university and actually know someone instead of being a loner (only two of my friends plan to attend UW if they get accepted)
Was this helpful? Yes 0