yconic - Sports teams
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sports teams

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Not sure which section this falls into in the forums, but I guess this will do...

I am planning to be involved in the sports scene of whichever uni I end up at, few questions for anyone who has experience of the system.
I see on the uni's team websites there are applications for various teams which require a lot of information, previous teams/grades etc, as an international student I was wondering how this application process would work, for example if it asks for my current GPA... I don't have one in the British system. Also, do applications for these teams need to be submitted before the start of term, i.e during the summer or on arrival in September?

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Ooosh Ooosh
It is unlikely that you will play varsity sports but there are intramurals & pick-up games/beer leagues at most schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JChan JChan
email the coach directly.
forms need to be submitted before the season starts I think, in case there's training camp

thanks for reminding me I need to narrow down my destination and email the coach soon
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
College sports is dangerous stuff. One of my friends got injured and was in the hospital for a month. Needless to say, he barely passed the term. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Just stick to the less dangerous sports. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JChan JChan

@SUMmer123456 wrote
College sports is dangerous stuff. One of my friends got injured and was in the hospital for a month. Needless to say, he barely passed the term. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Just stick to the less dangerous sports. Good luck!

out of curiosity, you don't do sports do you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@JChan wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

Not competitively. I was talking about my friend's experiences after all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SummerKnight SummerKnight

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@JChan wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

Not competitively. I was talking about my friend's experiences after all.

my bro plays college ball in the states and had 2 surgeries in the past year, but he got full scholly, and he is studying engineering, which he is doing very well in....its a huge commitment and you have to be willing to take it, but for my bro it worked out fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I played varsity rugby while I did my undergrad in Mech Eng. The most major injury I've had to date was a badly sprained ankle. It's a big commitment. I'm hoping to play during grad school too, and was a little surprised to find out U of T only practices 3 times a week as opposed to the 5 times I've been used to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0