yconic - Sticky situation
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Sticky situation

A photo of Tryhard Tryhard
Well after looking at my first semester report card I was pretty disappointed :puker: I had an early acceptance from york university lol.. I had business management, advance functions, english, as well as Teachers assistant course ( needed credit for graduation) so no spares at all. I ended up with 84 in business, 78 in advance functions, 81 in ta , and 64 in english.... I really messed up. I know that since I'm going into business Calc & vectors should be a lot higher as well as data.. But english i know most cut offs are at 70-75 :S does that mean I pretty much lost my chance of getting accepted? My main choices are Western, UFT, and then york. I screwed up on english as I had a late essay handed in...a lesson well learned now..
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of artsmgmt artsmgmt
You could apply anyway and see what happens. Universities don't really like to see repeat courses if you decide to repeat English because you didn't get in. But for now, I'd say just try it out. Just so you don't wonder what would have happened.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@artsmgmt wrote
You could apply anyway and see what happens. Universities don't really like to see repeat courses if you decide to repeat English because you didn't get in. But for now, I'd say just try it out. Just so you don't wonder what would have happened.....

Repeating courses is fine. Some universities will take the average grade between the repeated course and the original, while others will just take the higher mark. It's a lot better than having a single, one-attempt 64% on your transcript. Universities won't ever reject someone or not consider their application just because they repeated some courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sylviakaz Sylviakaz
You should definitely speak with your guidance counsellor to learn about some of your options, but upgrading is probably your best bet. It's better to take the course again and do better than to apply with a low grade..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Gorges26 wrote
Repeating courses is fine. Some universities will take the average grade between the repeated course and the original, while others will just take the higher mark. It's a lot better than having a single, one-attempt 64% on your transcript. Universities won't ever reject someone or not consider their application just because they repeated some courses.

Also depends on the university and program you're looking at.
I know that some programs at Waterloo will take away 3-4% for repeated courses,
but most will either take the blended average of the attempts or the better of the two.
Was this helpful? Yes 0