yconic - stream 4 or 8 waterloo co-op
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

stream 4 or 8 waterloo co-op

A photo of thestudent12 thestudent12
I was admitted into mech eng at UW and i'm wondering whether to take stream 4 or 8. All i know is that sream 4 starts co-op in january while stream 8 starts in may. I have friends in the year above me and they're all in stream 8, so i want to have co-op the same time they do. They told me to take stream 4 because i'll be with them during school/co-op terms. What is the schedule for co-op in the next few years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of maattp maattp
I requested stream 8 for computer engineering for these reasons:

- With stream 8 your first work term will be summer 2013. By then, you'll have two school terms under your belt and will actually know something. It should be easier to get a job this way.

- With stream 8, the only time you ever have to do two back-to-back school terms is in first year. After that, it alternates between co-op and school which is really nice. I'd rather take my two back-to-back school terms during first year rather than holding off until third year.

You can email UW and request which stream you want. If you don't do that, they'll just randomly place you in one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lawoctorgineer lawoctorgineer
who do you email for stream preferences? and is there a fixed deadline to email them (before they randomly put you in a stream)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of computerengineer computerengineer
May I ask for the average you guys got accepted with?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PiggyAndy PiggyAndy

@lawoctorgineer wrote
who do you email for stream preferences? and is there a fixed deadline to email them (before they randomly put you in a stream)?

streamrequests@engmail.uwaterloo.ca

I'm not sure when the deadline is, but might as well email them asap. The earlier you email them, the higher chance you'll get the stream you want!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lawoctorgineer lawoctorgineer

@PiggyAndy wrote

@lawoctorgineer wrote

streamrequests@engmail.uwaterloo.ca

I'm not sure when the deadline is, but might as well email them asap. The earlier you email them, the higher chance you'll get the stream you want!

thanks for the email address. Do i have to be accepted/ accept their offer before I can send them the request?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PiggyAndy PiggyAndy

@lawoctorgineer wrote

thanks for the email address. Do i have to be accepted/ accept their offer before I can send them the request?

Not sure. But for sure you don't have to accept their offer before requesting. I have been admitted but I haven't accepted the offer yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maattp maattp

@computerengineer wrote
May I ask for the average you guys got accepted with?

I got accepted based on my 92% semester 1 average and 95% grade 11 average. This semester I have a 98% midterm average but they accepted me well before midterms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jopet Jopet
I just want to add that there are also "A" stream and "B" stream for co-op students at UW. For example, as part of the class of 2016, I am a "B" stream student taking 8 stream civil engineering. The class of 2017 will be "A" stream. This alternates back and forth each academic year.

thestudent12, the reason your upper year friends want you to take 4 stream is that since you would be an "A" stream student and they are "B" stream 8 stream students, you would both be synced with each other's terms.

http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/programs/Mechanical%20Engineering

Check under mechanical engineering co-op to see your stream for mechanical engineering or other engineering program (if you have 4-stream option). Top row is 4-stream and bottom is 8-stream.

Can't really speak for Nano students since they have a combination of both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jopet Jopet
Oops my bad! Class of 2016 is "A" stream and Class of 2017 is "B" stream, but you get the point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adv4ntag3 adv4ntag3
Hey guys, I'm in waterloo nano engineering right now; just finished 1st yr and starting my coop work term in a couple of days...so ill help u with what I've experienced so far;

each stream has its ups and downs:
for example, if u wanted to go into stream 4, yes in ur first year u will only have 4 months of school experience under ur belt but that doesn't mean employers aren't willing to hire u, they fully understand the situation of every coop student. however, being in stream 4 in ur first year means finding a job in the winter, which is generally more difficult due to the lower number of jobs being offered. that being said, theres also less competition from other university students.

the opposite is then true for stream 8. lots of opportunities in the summer of ur first year, but a lot more competition since students from other schools are also now looking for summer jobs.

so in the end, its really up to ur own personal preferences...every stream will encounter the same problems of finding a job in the winter or summer at some point throughout ur university life. do what makes u happier!
Was this helpful? Yes 0