yconic - Stress - Is it always bad?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Stress - Is it always bad?

A photo of verno verno
http://healthmad.com/mental-health/stress-is-it-always-bad/

This part of the forums is for posts on how to deal with stress.
But here's a reason not to eliminate it.

Stress isn't always bad, and I made this guide to help people tackle stress heads on, instead of cower in a corner waiting for something to change their lives.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Who ever said stress was bad? Stress gives you a sense of urgency to get the job done and move on. Stress elevates your level of consciousness and allows you to ensure you're doing the job right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of swoodrow swoodrow

@ARMY101 wrote
Who ever said stress was bad? Stress gives you a sense of urgency to get the job done and move on. Stress elevates your level of consciousness and allows you to ensure you're doing the job right.

I agree. Most people I know work well under stress, including myself. I always find myself doing an assignment a closer to the due date, rather then when I first get it. Of course, this usually isn't the greatest idea, but I've found that I usually do alright.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
It makes you fat, that is bad
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Qq wrote
It makes you fat, that is bad

So you're saying that because it makes you "fat," we shouldn't stress?
Well, eating makes you fat, so we shouldn't eat? LOL.
Everythinggggg makes us fat. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VanessaGlasby VanessaGlasby
No, stress is not always bad. In fact, there is a specific type of stress often studied in sociology called "eustress" (YOU-stress), that is considered to be the good stress. From my experience, I feel that some stress can be beneficial, as long as it's not too much. Stress is a part of life, it's how you choose to handle it that really makes the difference. If you allow it to "push" you towards getting your work done, then I don't see it as such a bad thing, but if you allow it to take over your life so much so that it's the only thing you think about, then it's clearly a negative in your life. It's all relative.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sjanesingh sjanesingh
I don't think stress is bad. It's actually great if kept moderate. I mean you cannot expect to achieve perfection but if you have a goal stressing to obtain it is perfectly healthy. Becoming over stressed is something you do not want to do though, that will definitely put you at risk for many health issues.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of THE Uber Sandwich THE Uber Sandwich
Stress triggers the body's fight or flight response. This usually results in a temporary high for the person and can help you get tasks done quickly and efficiently.
However, stress is still really detrimental to your health, physical AND mental.
People weren't designed to constantly be stressed so if you're suffering from stress ALL the time you have to either change your habits or go see a psychologist/councilor.
Seriously. Stress can cause or aggravate a number of health problems, including stunted growth, obesity, depression, anxiety, heart disease, etc.

Don't be chronically stressed or overstressed. It's not normal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of footy3 footy3
i think stress is just your bodys normal response to being over worked. chill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentLeader StudentLeader
How do you "Chill" when you're stressed :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jllama jllama
Stress is really my only motivator to finish tasks. This is probably not a good thing in the long-term (or short-term in the case of a total meltdown), but for the purpose of studying for exams I find it useful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of verno verno
Stress isn't always bad, although some people think so otherwise.

As everything, stress is only good in moderation. I just wanted people to know and understand that it isn't something that will drive you insane unless you have tremendous amounts of it. If you were stressed about an assignment, it only proves that you wish to do good on it instead of fail.

Using stress in the positive way, no matter what kind it is will always help.

On the other side, you know what they say: what doesn't kill you and what doesn't make you fat makes you stronger :D.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Avrilla Avrilla
I go by the general rule that if it is impeding your everyday life, it is bad. However, if there's just a little stress, or even a lot, but it's manageable, it's good for you- or, at worst, not affecting you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smokelky smokelky
I find that stress is not always a bad thing. Stress makes me focus on the situation and come up with a plan on achieving the end result that I am wanting. Once I have came up with a plan I find that I feel less stressed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of herlein123 herlein123

@StudentLeader wrote
How do you "Chill" when you're stressed :P

Go for a walk, without any distractions (music for example). Some people can't sleep because they are stressed, and their mind is working. Get that out of the way earlier in the dat with time dedicated to thinking. Then you can go back to what you were doing before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sjlewis1708 sjlewis1708

@verno wrote
http://healthmad.com/mental-health/stress-is-it-always-bad/

This part of the forums is for posts on how to deal with stress.
But here's a reason not to eliminate it.

Stress isn't always bad, and I made this guide to help people tackle stress heads on, instead of cower in a corner waiting for something to change their lives.

It's true....stress isn't always bad for you! Of course we all know that too much stress can be very harmful to us in terms of both our mental and physical health. It can often cause us to become ill and feel so overwhelmed and discouraged that we often feel like giving up and that we are nothing but a failure (leading to us not succeeding). On the other hand too little stress is bad too because it will force us to be lazy and un-motivated to succeed and try to do our best. So the moral of the story is a moderate amount of stress in our lives is the best because it keeps us on our toes and motivated to keep succeeding and what not but does not get to the point where it is restricting us from doing our best because of something like getting sick
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
It'll get worse when you're like 40 and you start losing hair. lmfao.
Was this helpful? Yes 0