yconic - stressed about marks!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

stressed about marks!

A photo of nagareboshi nagareboshi
Soo.. apparently I got into AP Chemistry this year. And I hear the teacher is pretty hard. But I also heard he's a really good teacher, explains really well but his tests are a killer. And the truth be told, I'm stressing out so much. Because I know since it's a grade 12 course, and since I'm applying to sciences it WILL count. And I'm so afraid I won't get a high enough mark for university (I plan to apply to UofT, McGill, McMasters and/or UBC)

Any tips on what I should do? And should I keep my AP chemistry because I might not even take the AP exam however, I want to take it because my first year of university for chemistry should be easier.. but if I drop out, I have to rotate my schedule around and it'll mess up my classes. :/ help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I would keep AP chem. Even if your chem mark is in the 80s rather than 90s, you still have 5 other subjects to make up the difference and it's worth it to know what's going on ahead of time in first year imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
Personally, I would drop it. Its not worth the risk. Universities are gonna accept you whether you have AP or normal UNI level courses. They just wanna see a good mark and a few ECs to sparkle your application.

Dont worry about your schedule, its only temporary for half a year, and then new schedule! Pick one: Schedule or University. Id go for uni ^_^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
As long as you can get an 80. I went through IB and it prepped me very well for university. It's worth the extra difficulty
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of d0nut d0nut
I would definitely keep it. I agree with the first answer - you still have 5 other subjects that can bring your mark up. You just have to suffer through it and study, study, study! It's actually quite funny because I was in chemistry last year and the teacher was said to be extremely tough and strict! He ended up being my favourite teacher and although his tests were challenging, I studied long and hard and ended up with a 94% in his class. Now, looking back at that year, I don't remember anything from my easier classes because I didn't study as much as I did in Chem.

You can do it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0