yconic - stressed out about my grade 11 marks!!!!(Especially english)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

stressed out about my grade 11 marks!!!!(Especially english)

A photo of sagardave sagardave
I am going into grade 12 next year and I am interested in applying into an accounting program in Rotman at U of T or UTM and AFM-PA in waterloo.

Here are my grade 11 marks:

SCH 3U- 89
SPH 3U- 85
ICS 3U- 94
CGG 30- 92
ENG 3U- 65
BAF 3M- 91
MCR 3U- 75
TGJ 3M- 95

Avg = 85.8%

I am really worried about my English marks for the universities which i will be applying to next year. Do i have a chance of getting into Waterloo and U of T for accounting with the above marks. Will my English marks effect my admissions?

Thank you for your time.....in advance :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of waazup waazup
Yes, that math & english could be a problem. Especially since Rotman requires 85 in english and considers it highly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote
Yes, that math & english could be a problem. Especially since Rotman requires 85 in english and considers it highly.

Yea...
so should i consider taking math and english in first semester in grade 12 and get higher grades in those courses or will they still consider the previous marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@sagardave wrote
I am going into grade 12 next year and I am interested in applying into an accounting program in Rotman at U of T or UTM and AFM-PA in waterloo.

Here are my grade 11 marks:

SCH 3U- 89
SPH 3U- 85
ICS 3U- 94
CGG 30- 92
ENG 3U- 65
BAF 3M- 91
MCR 3U- 75
TGJ 3M- 95

Avg = 85.8%

I am really worried about my English marks for the universities which i will be applying to next year. Do i have a chance of getting into Waterloo and U of T for accounting with the above marks. Will my English marks effect my admissions?

Thank you for your time.....in advance :)

Don't even worry about your gr 11 marks. They only affect early acceptance if you don't have English, Functions and Calculus in the 1st semester. My marks in grade 11 were as listed bellow.

English 32 (upgraded to 93 in the summer school)
Physics 23 (never took again)
Economics 84
Chemistry 86
Functions 68

Long story about the first two marks. I worked on myself a lot after grade 11 and got a great average in grade 12. I ended up getting into UofT, UofT Sauga and UofT Scar, but I didn't apply to Waterloo, so can't say anything about that school, although I doubt Waterloo would care about your grade 11 marks. I did choose Schulich over UofT. ;)

Make sure you step up with your marks in grade 12. Get at least 85% in Eng. and Calc. to be considered for Rotman. Aim for overall average of over 90% to be safe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ MINTOK
Thank you for your reply...
That makes me feel much better.
i will definitely try lot harder in grade 12 to get 90 overall for those good universities..:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Yes It would be smart to do them in your first semester. That seems like a good plan. You will do MHF in the first semester (schools usually require it), so you just have to make sure you get english in your 1st sem.

I'm also going into Gr.12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
English is definitely biggest problem for many. Dw, boost it up next year :) thats what matters
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
*READ THIS*

If you do not have English in first semester next year, Waterloo will look at your Grade 11 English for AFMAA invites. Your English mark MUST BE OVER 75 TO GET AN INVITE.

NO INVITE = NO AFMAA = NO ACCEPTANCE

If you are serious about getting into Waterloo, I would suggest looking into switching English into first semester, or night school/private school/virtual school.

If you weren't that big on Waterloo, save yourself $40 and do not apply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@sagardave wrote
Do i have a chance of getting into Waterloo and U of T for accounting with the above marks.

If accounting is what you like, I'd easily choose Laurier or Schulich before UofT. Laurier shouldn't be too much of a problem for your marks :)

Not sure what their English requirements are...Definitely lower than what Rotman requires.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger
Your english mark is seriously an issue. Many of the upper tier business/accountingschools require applicants to have min 70s in english and math,some higher. Its a requirement, not a comparison.
Here's the deal. To get into Waterloo's accounting program, you must get an invite to the AFMAA, a essay writing test. You only get an acceptance if they like your essay. Ok, but the most important thing right now is to score MIN 75 in english to receive the invite. Your math is decent, but that's not the issue for Waterloo.
UofT Rotman, the rumor is that english and calc must be min 85. I know calc must be 85 for sure because they rejected me with an avg 89.8 eng 88 and calc 83 (my friend got in with avg 86 eng 84 and calc 86) . You gotta work harder for calc on this one. But honestly, looking at your position, both schools will definitely be challenging.
Assuming next year will probably end up around the same or a bit better, I would highly suggest either Laurier BBA or UofT Scarbrough Coop Management (BBA). Again, YOU MUST HAVE MIN 70 in english regardless :/ .
Was this helpful? Yes 0